Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for Jean Hebert

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    I did get the invitation for the olympiad but since I had made my mind not to play I let the deadline expired. ......The main reason ....
    I would think that someone who wants conditions to change / improve would automatically explain to organizers what exactly were the reasons for one's declining to play.

I would also think that someone who thinks there should be more respect for players would also respond quickly rather than just let a deadline expire out of courtesy both to the organizers and the next player in line.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      I would think that someone who wants conditions to change / improve would automatically explain to organizers what exactly were the reasons for one's declining to play.

I would also think that someone who thinks there should be more respect for players would also respond quickly rather than just let a deadline expire out of courtesy both to the organizers and the next player in line.
      Thanks Roger for the courtesy lesson. I will take it for what it is worth.
      The reality is that few people at the CFC care about "reasons" and nobody ask. When I confirmed to Ilya that I was not going to play he simply responded "no problem". In any case there are plenty of time afterwards to talk about those reasons.

As for the deadline I kept my options opened up to the last moment, just in case a sudden irresistible urge to play against all odds would overcome me. It did not happen. If you like to consider it a lack of courtesy, well be my guest. I believe that everyone involved understood that no answer meant "no". A couple of hours or even a few days of delay (within the deadline) is not likely to make a significant difference to my happy replacement or to anybody else (you apparently being an exception, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Thanks for posting your reasons Jean. I understand. What is hard to understand is why it must be that way or no way?
        What do you mean by "it must be that way or no way" ?

Comment

In any case there are plenty of time afterwards to talk about those reasons.
          If you don't mind me asking, what board were you asked to play? Did it show respect for the position of Canadian Champion?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

What do you mean by "it must be that way or no way" ?
            Sorry for the confusion. I meant that it is possible to use a different model - the team could be picked much earlier; the team could receive funding for training and preparation and for their time, and the team could actually get there at least one or two weeks ahead of time. All of this is possible except that the CFC thinks that the current model (which is no model at all) is working.

Look at the 3-day postponement Anand requested because he couldn't even get to the World Championship match when he was originally scheduled to be there! (it isn't that he would miss the first game or anything like that - he was just anticipating missing his customary preparatory time that he was counting on!).

Of course, he had one of the best reasons there could be (force majeur) but that somehow did not appease people who 'live by the rules - especially when the rules suit them'. Odd that 'reason' plays little part in a contest that it all about logic and reasoning...

The CFC could be looking for funding for the Olympic teams (considering the nationwide frenzy about the Vancouver Olympics, I would think that this has to be the best time in history to attempt to get support) but I have not heard of any efforts in this area. For example, if someone told me that $5 of my $43 CFC membership was being used to support our olympic team I would be less upset about paying the money - at least that portion would not be wasted!

Anyway, that is all I meant Jean: it is sad that the shortcomings you pointed out will likely not be considered any time soon.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              If you don't mind me asking, what board were you asked to play? Did it show respect for the position of Canadian Champion?
              I certainly have no idea, but if I had to guess, I would guess that the invitations (all of them) were non-specific. It seems that the way this works is that 'they' first see if they can cobble together enough players and then see if they can agree on such things as: board order, captain, roles of captain and players, strategies for substitutions or board order rearrangement etc.

By the way, I am not sure who "they" refers to in the above paragraph... I don't think there is a designated person who makes such decisions... it may be left up to the CFC Executive - that is a scary thought.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Captain picks the board order, the bit about Canadian Champion being board 1 was removed a few years ago.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Board order was not even mentionned in the Invitation. The important matters of team captain or alternative travel arrangements (to arrive earlier) were not either. And most importantly it was not mentioned if the invitation was conditional or not to sufficient funding.

Comment

Board order was not even mentionned in the Invitation. The important matters of team captain or alternative travel arrangements (to arrive earlier) were not either. And most importantly it was not mentioned if the invitation was conditional or not to sufficient funding.
                    I see. It doesn't sound very well organized.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      Sorry for the confusion. I meant that it is possible to use a different model - the team could be picked much earlier; the team could receive funding for training and preparation and for their time, and the team could actually get there at least one or two weeks ahead of time. All of this is possible except that the CFC thinks that the current model (which is no model at all) is working.
                      You are right. CFC people think that just sending a team is great. At this point, nobody not even I expect big improvements like the ones you suggest. But it would be encouraging to see some improvement from one olympiad to the other, like arriving a couple of days earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                        ... the bit about Canadian Champion being board 1 was removed a few years ago.
                        That's obvious by the lack of participation in the Canadian Closed. Why get hammered by up and comers when you can sit home on your arse and protect your rating?
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I believe that everyone involved understood that no answer meant "no".
                          Obviously, everyone believed that, otherwise there would have been a thread about "How can we contact Jean Hebert to get his answer about the Olympiad?". Sure glad that everyone understood and no such thread was necessary.

Just to confirm - this is a no going back rejection? There's no chance you can wake up tomorrow and change your mind?

Comment

I think that when Jean sees the quality of the unofficial pay-your-own-way team that he may wake up tomorrow and change his mind.

Unofficial pay-your-own-way grassroots team
                            1st board: Vlad Drkulec
                            2nd board: Paul Beckwith
                            3rd board: Gary Ruben
                            4th board: Ed Seedhouse
                            5th board: Bob Gillanders
                            6th board: Paul Bonham

Comment

Definitely a " Green " team - though some on one side, some on the other.

Bob

Comment

Paul, don't forget Gary's acceptance is contingent upon an appearance fee. Perhaps if we offered to cover his postage costs? ;):D:D

Comment

Working...
                                X