Canada at the Olypmiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada at the Olypmiad

The Chess Federation of Canada is pleased to announce that we will be sending both our National Team and our Women's Team to the Olympiad in Khanty Mansiysk. I would like to thank Ilia Bluvshtein for his diligent efforts to date as our Olympic Co-Ordinator. Our team compositions are as follows:

National team:

Board 1: Mark Bluvshtein,

Board 2: Thomas Roussel-Roozmon,

Board 3: Leonid Gerzhoy,

Board 4: Artiom Samsonkin,

Reserve: Nikolay Noritsyn.

Captain: Yura Ochkoos. In accordance with CFC Handbook, Yura as a Captain has determined the board order.

Women’s team:

Board 1: Yuanling Yuan,

Board 2: Dina Kagramanov,

Board 3: Iulia Lacau-Rodean,

Board 4: Yelizaveta Orlova,

Reserve: Dalia Kagramanov.

Captain: William Yuan. William will be responsible for logistics for the Women’s team. The team composition for each round will be selected by Yura. Yura has also determined the board order for the Women’s team.

Re: Canada at the Olypmiad

Thanks for posting the lists. My Olympiad donation will be in the mail as soon as someone can confirm:

1) Is the Startford address (on the CFC Olympiad page) the correct destination for donations?

2) Is it sufficient to make cheques payable to the "Chess Federation of Canada"?

3) Is there a way to donate online?

Comment

Looks like a couple of good teams! Good choice for team captain!
      Go get 'em team!!

Comment

Thanks Hugh and Vlad!

Hugh, the CFC address is:

The Chess Federation of Canada
        356 Ontario Street, Suite 373
        Stratford, ON
        N5A 7X6

Cheques payable to the Chess Federation of Canada are fine! Please refer to the Olympic Fund (in a separate note of on the memo line of your cheque) in order to get a tax receipt. I am not aware of an online payment method.

Comment

[QUOTE=David Cohen;22608]Team member biographies, photos:

(Need Iulia's photo; and the year Leonid received his IM title)

David, I've sent you the required info by e-mail.
          Regards,
          Ilia

Comment

It's hard to be accurate, but based on the birth years at the FIDE site the average age of the two teams is around 21.4 and 19 respectively ...

Comment

Where is the money coming from to send the teams?

Comment

Ilia,

Thanks!

I'm donating $25 to the CFC's Olympiad Fund. I am asking all of our ChessTalk readers to do the same. We need to show support for our teams. If we don't support our own - then we can't ask others (gov't, foundations, sponsors) to support them for us.

David
                David Cohen

Comment

Fair question David. The Women's team members have agreed to pay their own expenses (!) if fundraising efforts fall short.

I have agreed to spearhead the fundraising campaign for Khanty Mansiysk. At the moment fundraising plans include, but are not limited to:

1. Olympic Fund tournaments such as we held in BC last month and Guelph yesterday. Actually this idea comes from the good old days when Jonathan Berry was Executive Director.

2. Canvassing the general membership, both current and lapsed members. Thank you David Cohen for your dontation and your invitation to all Chess Talkers to follow suit.

If any of you have other suggestions or innitiatives which you would like to bring about, please let me hear from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                    The Women's team members have agreed to pay their own expenses (!) if fundraising efforts fall short.
                    Very bad idea for at least two reasons:
                    1) It sets a very dangerous precedent. In the future it will be considered acceptable to send teams made of "volonteers" willing to pay their own way instead of teams made of the best players available. This will inevitably lead to degrading conditions and even more top players staying out of the national teams;
                    2) it badly undermines current fundraising efforts. Why raise money if people are willing to pay themselves ?

The CFC should not accept that if it has any respect left for itself and for chess players.

Comment

Re: Canada at the Olympiad

Jean, I guess we look at this a little differently. I applaud the womens team for offering to pay their own way. It shows they are motivated and perhaps will appreciate the experience more. Hopefully we can raise enough to cover everyone's expenses. :)

Is it possible to direct my donation such that 50% goes to the ladies team? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        Jean, I guess we look at this a little differently. I applaud the womens team for offering to pay their own way. It shows they are motivated and perhaps will appreciate the experience more. Hopefully we can raise enough to cover everyone's expenses. :)

Is it possible to direct my donation such that 50% goes to the ladies team? :)
                        I have to agree that this seems a very slippery slope. Would you feel the same way if this was the case for the men as well? What happens if the top players don't agree to this? What if numbers 6, 7, 8 & 9 are willing? Would they get priority?

In any event, I agree with Mr. Cohen's thinking. my cheque for $25 was mailed yesterday.

Comment

I agree with Jean on his points. I find myself wondering if a time will come when the Olympic team boards go to the highest bidder.

The players have agreed to pay and I think they should be allowed to do so.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I agree with Jean and Gary. Members of the Olympic Team should not have to finance their participation.

Comment

Working...
                            X