Canada at the Olypmiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada at the Olypmiad

Let's hope that the fundraising efforts succeed and this all becomes moot!

Given the late announcement for the Guelph fundraiser we were pleased to raise $300 for the team. I hope to run at least one more before the team leaves. For a $20
    entry fee/donation to the Olypmic Fund, the CFC rated the tournament for free and CFC membership was not required.

Do we have enough organizers to attract 1000 players in a month and a half? I believe we do.

I hope we can attract some organizers in Quebec too.

Comment

Is this fundraising deal (no CFC fees or membership required) available to any organiser? If so I suggest you tell potential organisers.

Also, is it possible to get the CFC Olympic page updated? The team shown is not the current team.

Comment

Half the question answered, I've just seen the Olympic waive post on the CFC board. http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=952

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
          Let's hope that the fundraising efforts succeed and this all becomes moot!
          Hal, you may have problems with the concept of "principles" and logically also with rules (bad thing for an arbiter...). Whether or not fundraising efforts succeed or not THIS TIME is irrelevant, the question will come up over and over in the future if the CFC do not adopt strict rules. No player, whether male or female, should be allowed to pay their own way, period. Otherwise this will inevitably lead to giving priority to weaker players willing to buy their spot into the teams.

What if now one woman suddenly drops out and decides that paying her own way is unacceptable. Will she be replaced by the highest rated player available or by someone willing to pay her own way like the rest of the team ? Can't you see that this kind of situation just can't be allowed ?

And lastly is it really for the good of chess in Canada to deresponsibilize the CFC of funding its national teams ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

Do we have enough organizers to attract 1000 players in a month and a half? I believe we do.

I hope we can attract some organizers in Quebec too.
            It would be much simpler to attract a few sponsors. Just last week-end the "Championnat Élite du Quebec" was sponsored by two Toronto based companies... But don't try, it might succeed...

Comment

I'm not directing this particularly at Jean, as many have done this, but just ONCE I'd love to see someone say "I'd love to help you find sponsors for this" rather than "you need to go find sponsors!"
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                I'm not directing this particularly at Jean, as many have done this, but just ONCE I'd love to see someone say "I'd love to help you find sponsors for this" rather than "you need to go find sponsors!"
                I thought David Cohen offered to help and his offer was rejected?? WTF?
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  Thank you Chris for opening this door. At least you seem to show a little interest on how to do it. Maybe approaching sponsors (or approaching people who can help establishing contacts) is a skill that can be learned. Why don't you and other organizers try to learn from those who have been successful doing it ? You want sponsorship to simply land in your plate. This is what you seem to mean by "help to find sponsors". If you are not willing to ask and to establish personal relationships then you will surely get nothing and remain what I call a level one organizer: one that collects entry fees and simply distribute what is left after expenses.

Comment

Kerry,

No, I had to turn the CFC down. No time. I wanted to do it on a percentage basis only. Unfortunately, I have some fixed expenses that cost about $500. I don't want to ask the CFC to pay for this up front with no guarantees of results. So, they should find more people to volunteer; or find someone with time to work on a percentage basis.

David

Comment

Chris, one year in the past I did some work in this area but ran into some problems with the CFC head office ( not worth discussing Archambault ). I came to the conclusion that until the day that the CFC fully values the efforts and achievements of the players involved it would be hard to make the underlying projects seem worthwhile to third party sponsors.

Women's Olympiad I would make the same point. The message the CFC has publically exhibited is that the team is a lower priority and an afterthought in the fundraising process. So what do people do ? Well, I know that some of the players and some organizers just go out and do their own small projects to raise money. It might not be the most efficient method but that's what people do. To me that doesn't excuse the CFC from its role as a national organization. Check out the C.C.A. for Curling, they clearly promote the game and contact sponsors.

It may be hard to believe this but at one point I was seriously considering helping out the CFC. I inquired about the Junior Coordinator role ( when Keshet was wanting to retire ) but it sounded highly bureaucratic putting your name in that hat. Later I could easily have helped you guys with your database problems and possibly fundraising ( although I have no real expertise in the latter ). But frankly, I never found the CFC to be a very open organization that I wanted to help out. It may be somewhat better now but we did have Van Dusen running on a platform of open communications and then being one of the most secretive presidents they have ever had ( how's that for irony ? ).
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 10th May, 2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Nice, did you notice you just did what I was complaining about?

At this point I am not involved in organizing anything that needs sponsors, so I'm not sure what I need all of your "advice" for?

In case you missed my point, it was that people on here are always preaching that others should go and do this or do that (voluntelling) but virtually never offering to do it themselves without conditions (volunteering).

So unless you want to revise your statement to be more along the lines of "I'd love to use my prestigious titles (Canadian Champion, IM, etc) to help find sponsors for _x_ event, when can I start?" then all you're really doing is proving my point.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Well you may have some good points there about the CFC, and regardless that's personal opinion anyway. But it doesn't just apply to the CFC, it applies to many different events that get talked about on here.

It's not quite as bad as the old "Why doesn't someone contact Sport Canada for funding" !! That one is just about my biggest pet peeve lol.

What do you mean by hourglass?

P.S. Eric at least posts once every other month or so, so that only makes him the second most secretive technically - although, you could make a case that since #1 wasn't doing anything at all, he wasn't keeping any secrets?
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Canada at the Olympiad

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                            I wanted to do it [fundraising] on a percentage basis only. David
                            I was astonished to learn that the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) considers percentage-based fundraising unethical, and has called on the US congress to ban the practice.

If you google, you can read all about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              I agree with Jean on his points. I find myself wondering if a time will come when the Olympic team boards go to the highest bidder.

The players have agreed to pay and I think they should be allowed to do so.
                              Gary, I am half sorry to say that you actually don't agree with me (and maybe you don't agree with yourself) since that my main point was that players should NOT be allowed to pay their way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                                Gary, I am half sorry to say that you actually don't agree with me (and maybe you don't agree with yourself) since that my main point was that players should NOT be allowed to pay their way.
                                Jean, my point is that since a team has already been formed of players who have agreed to pay their own way they should be allowed to do so.

If players who refused had known the expenses would be paid the team might be different.

I hope you do not think I support the way this has been done.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X