Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada at the Olypmiad

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Nice, did you notice you just did what I was complaining about?

At this point I am not involved in organizing anything that needs sponsors, so I'm not sure what I need all of your "advice" for?

In case you missed my point, it was that people on here are always preaching that others should go and do this or do that (voluntelling) but virtually never offering to do it themselves without conditions (volunteering).

So unless you want to revise your statement to be more along the lines of "I'd love to use my prestigious titles (Canadian Champion, IM, etc) to help find sponsors for _x_ event, when can I start?" then all you're really doing is proving my point.
    It is pretty unbelievable to see someone who signs his messages "President, Ontario Chess Association" write that he has no use for sponsors. Why then would anyone volunteer to help you out find sponsors you have no need for ? Is it that you are not aware of your responsibilities or that you have taken up too much for your actual capabilities ? No one pretending to be an organizer should say (or think) that he has no need for sponsors. It would be like a player saying that he needs no opponents.

Regarding your "point" that for some reason you seem to consider very important to "win", it is a non-starter. Jean Hébert as a player with some achievements, coach, teacher, author is and always has been available to meet and talk to people involved or potentially involved in chess, including organizers and sponsors.

Comment

Re: Canada at the Olympiad

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Jean, my point is that since a team has already been formed of players who have agreed to pay their own way they should be allowed to do so.
      My understanding is that these players were the top ones accepting to play, and that afterwards they decided to offer to pay for their own way. But if you are right and that they were chosen BECAUSE of their willingness to pay their way, then things are even worse.

If players who refused had known the expenses would be paid the team might be different.
      This is exactly why the CFC should not let it go as it is.

I hope you do not think I support the way this has been done.
      No, but by saying that they should be allowed to go by paying their own way you are actually encouraging things to be done the same way in the future! If you say A) things should not be done this way, you must say B) it can't be done this way this time.

Comment

Has the CFC Executive decided to allow players to pay their own expenses for the Olympiad? I know this has not been discussed by the Governors.

Comment

Re: Canada at the Olympiad

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          But if you are right and that they were chosen BECAUSE of their willingness to pay their way, then things are even worse..
          I think the team consists of the best players at this moment. Compare the initial team:
          Women's team:
          Dina Kagramanov (Canadian champion)
          Yuanling Yuan (qualified by rating)
          Nava Starr (qualified by rating)
          Yulia Lacau-Rodean (qualified by rating)
          Yelizaveta Orlova (selected by the Selection Committee)
          and the final:
          Yuanling Yuan,
          Dina Kagramanov,
          Iulia Lacau-Rodean,
          Yelizaveta Orlova,
          Dalia Kagramanov.
          Thus only one player declined. (There were 3 declines for the National ;)

Comment

I personally love how top players are always complaining along the lines of "you guys need to do a better job organizing chess in Canada" and "I can't believe how bad you are at organizing. I would never do it that way!"

All are completely self-serving statements as they would be the main beneficiary of more funding. I sure wouldn't. Why should organizers do things only with them in mind? How about the majority of players who are just playing for fun? Just because they have chosen it as their life's work, doesn't mean everyone should go along for the ride to make things better for them.

I am waiting for the day when they all realize that chess in this country is not an important activity to the masses and even to us most of the time. If they want to promote themselves, let them go and do it. If they want to get someone to sponser them, go do it.

As for complaing about the CFC, the fact that it has never been able to do a better job to give them their Utopian federation should tell them something beyond the fact that the people involved are not competent. There has to be other reasons!

To more than 99% of us, it is just a game. Go earn your own living. Stop complaining about others. If you want something to change, take up the job yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
              To more than 99% of us, it is just a game. Go earn your own living. Stop complaining about others. If you want something to change, take up the job yourself.
              Uh Brian - this is Jean Hebert that you are talking to. He has been around a long time and knows a lot better than any of us both how the chess world, and the real world, work. I advise you to just stop posting and let the expert educate us.

Comment

You gotta be kidding! Who else should be responsible for attracting sponsors if not the officials chosen to organize and manage the operation?
                I mean... what is it you're supposed to be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                  Kerry,

No, I had to turn the CFC down. No time. I wanted to do it on a percentage basis only. Unfortunately, I have some fixed expenses that cost about $500. I don't want to ask the CFC to pay for this up front with no guarantees of results. So, they should find more people to volunteer; or find someone with time to work on a percentage basis.

David
                  Thanks for the clarification David. Of course, I did not know the details of any offers that were made or the results of any discussions. I know nothing about 'professional fundraising' but I would have thought that having the organization cover reasonable expenses would be a no-brainer. I had no idea that it might be considered "improper" in some circles. It just seems like (another) lost opportunity.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Just a reminder that if funding does not come through the B team is ready...

Unofficial pay-your-own-way grassroots team
                    1st board: Vlad Drkulec
                    2nd board: Paul Beckwith
                    3rd board: Gary Ruben
                    4th board: Ed Seedhouse
                    5th board: Bob Gillanders
                    6th board: Paul Bonham

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                      Just a reminder that if funding does not come through the B team is ready...

Unofficial pay-your-own-way grassroots team
                      1st board: Vlad Drkulec
                      2nd board: Paul Beckwith
                      3rd board: Gary Ruben
                      4th board: Ed Seedhouse
                      5th board: Bob Gillanders
                      6th board: Paul Bonham
                      I don't play on B teams.

I recently rejected an invitation to play in a correspondence event organized by Argentina. I think it celebrates their 200 years of independence. The invitation I got (they send it through the federation) was for the B section which is ratings of 2400+ and was only for a category 8 section. I normally play category 9 and higher.

A few years ago their board 1 couldn't beat me in the Pan Am games and now they invite me for a B section. I played the 15 player round robin board undefeated.

A couple of years ago the organizers were having a hard time getting enough teams for the North Atlantic Team Tournament. I let a couple of GM's from nations which didn't have teams know I was playing board 1 and asked if they would be having a team. The teams materialized and the event took place.

I'm prime time! :)
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Of course. He has a high rating so then he must know how the world works as well as how to move those little chess peices. He must already realize that there are many people just sitting around waiting to give their money away to chess players for an unclear return on their investment. I await more of his knowledge to be bestowed upon me.

Comment

Of course. He has a high rating so then he must know how the world works as well as how to move those little chess peices. He must already realize that there are many people just sitting around waiting to give their money away to chess players for an unclear return on their investment. I await more of his knowledge to be bestowed upon me.
                          Now you're getting it, Brian. I'm glad you've seen the light!

Comment

While you guys are getting your jollies from laughing at Jean, he would have been a fine addition to the team. He's very well known in the correspondence chess circles, as well as across Canada and would have brought interest to the team. His games, and probably the rest of the team, would be watched. It might even have brought some donations for the teams. His playing would have brought interest from the veteran players.

If it wasn't for the players the organizers wouldn't be needed. Judging from the number of active players in Canada, I'd say many of the players have voted with their feet.

If you REALLY want "knowledge to be bestowed upon" you, send a donation to the CFC. An education is never free. :)
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Sachs View Post
                              You gotta be kidding! Who else should be responsible for attracting sponsors if not the officials chosen to organize and manage the operation?
                              I mean... what is it you're supposed to be doing?
                              Do not ask yourself why chess is in such a poor state in Canada and why the CFC has been on the verge of bankrupcy and still is in more ways than one. When we read about a former CFC president and current Ontario Chess Association president stating flatly that he or his events have no need for sponsors and that he has no use for advice on how to find any, then we understand what the problem is. Turning away even the possibility of sponsorship is in effect giving up on involving the community into what you are doing for the good of that community. No decent organizer (whether its chess or something else) can think like that.

What bothers some people here is not so much that I push organizers to find sponsorship (I use this word in the largest sense possible, which includes donations and any other support that is possible to get from public, private or corporate sources when you simply bother to make contacts and ask) it is that I regularly underlines real life examples where it is being done successfully by several people in Canada. That seems to make people like Chris and others feel ill at-ease, if not inadequate, incompetent and useless. And not without reason.

The easy way to react is to shoot at the messenger. But the reality of things is that the CFC has been run for the last few decades by level 1 organizers (with one or two exceptions), that are satisfied with simply collecting entry fees and giving back the little that is left after expenses and then saying to justify themselves that "everyone had a good time."

Only in chess do we find people thinking that it is enough. If someone like a chess organizer has no interest in getting better and more efficient at what he is doing and could/should be doing, then maybe he should consider stepping down and leave the spot completely vacant for someone else with a little more ambition and drive.

Comment

All these things only matter to someone if they believe their money should be spent to make sure it happens. I would rather have my money for myself and not to promote someone else's career or hobbies.

Don't get me wrong. I will cheer for the team and will most likely donate money to the cause. But I don't have to listen to someone who keeps criticizing others for not doing things that would benefit him first and foremost. That is just crap. Lead or shut up.

Judging by the number of active players in Canada, one can easily conclude that most, past and present, consider this a hobby and now they can do it online and not have to travel to find opponents. Any other interpretation of that observation would not be correct. The correlation is clear – internet use goes up, chess playing goes down. Anyway you slice it, chess is not of primary importance to Canadians.

Comment

Working...
                                X