Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Canada at the Olypmiad

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    I don't think I have ever overly sugarcoated anything, but when you believe that you have a good product or a good service to sell, or a good cause to promote, you are legitimately entitled to "sugarcoat" it, that is to present it in the best light possible.
    When I say sugarcoating, I mean minimizing how much work it takes to do this as an organizer, and understanding that to raise $1000 in sponsorship/donations means you'll have to have 5-10 companies involved, and you will have to contact 50.

For those amounts, which are often small change for even small or medium size businesses (or for many individuals) do sponsors get "huge value" for their money ? Maybe not huge value, but I would say something between fair and very good. You get what you pay for and sponsors understand that. But very often, sponsors (at large) will support chess just for the sake of it without making detailed assessments of what they get in return.
    I am as amazed that I am coming to your point of view that I think you are coming to mine :)

After lots of hard digging we have finally found the chess fan in you. Bravo!Which now leads back to the CFC and its shortcomings.
    From a personal level, I certainly am and always have been a chess fan, and I think my posts have always expressed that there are certainly plenty of shortcomings within the CFC. The lack of ability to donate online is just shocking - I mean, how long could it possibly take to set up a paypal account for the CFC? 5 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
      If he's really spearheading the effort, he should make his email address more publicly known (I don't see it in any of the threads here).
      No argument from me about that. As you mention in another thread, there are issues with the CFC website - there have been for years. It wouldn't take all that much time to tidy it up and, more importantly, to keep it a lot more current at all times!

Of course, the counter-argument to that is: why fool with it when they are looking at proposals to create a brand new, all spiffy, content-management system driven website?! A poor argument to be sure, but as usual, if there is any reason not to do something (real or imagined) it likely will not happen.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I was organizing my bookmarks and came across this article
        http://www.monroi.com/chess-tourname...urnaments.html

Comment

If he's really spearheading the effort, he should make his email address more publicly known (I don't see it in any of the threads here).
          Hi David:

The email address that Hal gives in his announcement of the Guelph Spring Pro-Am is halbond@sympatico.ca

The private message function of this board has two drawbacks. One is that it doesn't "alert" you in a noticeable way when you have a private message. The second is that you have to be logged in to see that you have one. I don't ususually log in unless I'm posting something. It's easy to go weeks without knowing about a private message.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            Hi David:

The email address that Hal gives in his announcement of the Guelph Spring Pro-Am is halbond@sympatico.ca

The private message function of this board has two drawbacks. One is that it doesn't "alert" you in a noticeable way when you have a private message. The second is that you have to be logged in to see that you have one. I don't ususually log in unless I'm posting something. It's easy to go weeks without knowing about a private message.

Steve
            If you don't login, won't it fail to keep track of "new" posts? That is the main reason I *do* login... or at least that is supposedly the main reason I have been logging in.

I haven't verified that behaviour lately, but I am sure that when I visit Chesstalk from my netbook computer (which I don't have set to "remember me") I seem to get quite a mixed bag of bolded threads because I am just a random visitor at that point...

hmmmm

Comment

and received no response of any sort
              Hal Bond - Last Visit May 10th, 2010 ( http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/memb...name&order=asc ) ;)

communications - what a wonderful phrase :D
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU

Comment

• Re: Canada at the Olypmpiad

Ken Craft,

thanks for posting the article from the monroi site. Nice to hear a success story.

Here is another one. The 2000 and 2002 Olympiads were sponsored by Belzerg Technologies.

http://www.chesstalk.com/interview/

Some food for thoughts:

"Larry Bevand: What do you consider the mandate of the CFC in the next decade?

Sid Belzberg: The most important mandate of the CFC is to raise the profile of Canadian Chess and find more corporate and advertising sponsorship as a result. Their mandate should definitely go beyond only managing the status quo, such as the continuity of ratings, national tournaments and their publication.

Our belief is that the structure of the CFC should change so that decisions can be made faster and acted upon sooner. For example, 65 governors should probably be reduced to a single board of directors with perhaps seven or eight members elected by the members. A CEO with a strong mandate to make decisions accountable to this board of directors representing the CFC membership, very much like the corporate structure of a public company, in our estimation would be far more effective than the existing structure."

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                  To get back to the original topic, I intend to make a donation in addition to my share of the Victoria Chess Club contribution already sent in.
                  This is because I care about our Olympiad team and I admire the dedication of those willing to play for Canada, even at their own expense.
                  It is shameful for those who claim to care about chess to offer nothing but cynicism towards the fund raising effort.
                  It renews my faith in human nature to see the governors of the CFC and trustees of the foundation donate their own money to send a team rather than spend the CFC's money.

Possibly a new motto:

The governors and trustees give. The CFC and Foundation invest.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
                    Ken Craft,

thanks for posting the article from the monroi site. Nice to hear a success story.

Here is another one. The 2000 and 2002 Olympiads were sponsored by Belzerg Technologies.

http://www.chesstalk.com/interview/

Some food for thoughts:

"Larry Bevand: What do you consider the mandate of the CFC in the next decade?

Sid Belzberg: The most important mandate of the CFC is to raise the profile of Canadian Chess and find more corporate and advertising sponsorship as a result. Their mandate should definitely go beyond only managing the status quo, such as the continuity of ratings, national tournaments and their publication.

Our belief is that the structure of the CFC should change so that decisions can be made faster and acted upon sooner. For example, 65 governors should probably be reduced to a single board of directors with perhaps seven or eight members elected by the members. A CEO with a strong mandate to make decisions accountable to this board of directors representing the CFC membership, very much like the corporate structure of a public company, in our estimation would be far more effective than the existing structure."
                    It certainly seems that advice "fell on deaf ears".

Comment

When I say sugarcoating, I mean minimizing how much work it takes to do this as an organizer, and understanding that to raise $1000 in sponsorship/donations means you'll have to have 5-10 companies involved, and you will have to contact 50.
                      If you show the task at hand in that light you are pretty certain to scare everybody off from starting anything. If you tell a kid and his parents that to become a master they will need to spend 15000$ in private tuition and another 10000$ in tournament expenses over the next 5 years, you are pretty sure to scare them away. In real life you take one lesson at a time and one tournament at a time, and you don't worry too much about the next step until it appears on the horizon. Who knows for sure, it might take only half the time and expenses.
                      Why worry about the 50 companies that you may have to approach, when there is a fair chance that you might be successful with the very first one (especially if you do it right) ? Anything is much easier when you tackle it step by step. In this case, the first step, for beginners like Chris and Hal especially, would be to type "find sponsor" in their search engine. All the information is there. Afterwards all that is left is to put it into practice. :) [/QUOTE]

I am as amazed that I am coming to your point of view that I think you are coming to mine :)
                      Exchanging views sometimes lead to unexpected results. :)

Comment

I think there's a way to set it so that you get an email alert to new private messages.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          I think there's a way to set it so that you get an email alert to new private messages.
                          Which makes the point moot since it was the email address that David wanted in the first place (!). In your scenario the PM system is still beholden to email, or requires that somebody actually log-in to even see that he has one.

Kerry: As long as you don't close the browser window (at least with IE), it keeps track of which stuff you've read even within the threads. In fact I've noticed that when you go from "guest" mode to "logged-in" mode it suddenly doesn't remember what you've read (different flavour of Oreos). I generally keep my browser open ALL the time because you never know when there's going to be an earth-shattering post on Chesstalk.

Steve

P.S. Kerry, do you happen to have a copy of the long-awaited K.S. report about Canadian chess?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                            P.S. Kerry, do you happen to have a copy of the long-awaited K.S. report about Canadian chess?

lol - I don't think KS would grace me with a copy.
                            In fact, I doubt there ever will be a report...
                            All I can see is this from time to time: "This much anticipated chronicle will soon be published on this blog!"

That's the lamest bullshit I've ever read - maybe he is getting it read first by his lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              All I can see is this from time to time: "This much anticipated chronicle will soon be published on this blog!"
                              I've seen that too. Unfortunately all of the expected publication dates seem to be either from the Scottish Lunar Calendar or the Chinese Planting Calendar. Or maybe it's Portuguese? No matter, I will contact the president of the K.S. Fan Club to see if he has an advance copy in his outhouse that he's not presently, ummm, errrr, using.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
                                Ken Craft,

For those who might find too demanding to read such a "long" article (3 pages), let's provide the first and last paragraphs which very much concern this thread:

In 2007, the organizers of the Canadian Open and Canadian Youth Chess Championships in Ottawa raised more than $90,000 in cash and many invaluable in-kind donations from sponsors and donors to stage the two events...

... There are naysayers who contend that corporate support for chess in Canada is a complete non-starter. But we hope our experience — starting very much from scratch — suggests otherwise, and that other organizers will be keen to follow in our footsteps and take Canadian chess events to a higher level.

Comment

Working...
                                X