Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Canada at the Olypmiad

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Bang on! I personally think there should be on the CFC website a list of volunteers and the hours they put in a year and that way anybody who wants it public could see it. There needs to be a lot more respect and actions noted of volunteers. People however see what they want to see. For example I went to St Louis to play in the Bill Wright Open. I thought it was a memorial event but no he is a long time volunteer organiser (and still alive!) and that shows respect. Also on the board of directors of the club are many long time volunteers in the Missouri chess movement who make decisions in the running of the club and that again shows respect and recognition and volunteers working together. As it should be.
    Thank you, both Gordon Ritchie and Hans Jung, for speaking up against the "Hebert Hubris" and defending Canadian chess organizers! Hans, I like your idea.

Also Hans, while you were at the St. Louis club, did you get any idea as to how the club funds itself? Is the money primarily coming from the founder? The US Championship has some sponsors, but they are barely mentioned anywhere on the site (a last page mention in the Media Kit file). So it appears sponsors are a very minor part of the club's funding.

I see Hebert in this thread makes the case that the US Championship is a heavily corporate sponsored event, but the facts do not indicate this. There actually seems to be no public record as to how much of the prize money and the costs of running the tournament (including the live daily coverage) are from corporate sponsors.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Not sure if this is what you mean by recognition (organizers collectively? or specific folks?), but I did try to start the Volunteer of the Year award. You can see the 2008 recipient, Hugh Brodie, mentioned on the CFC's web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        The number of hours put in cannot be verified and in itself has little meaning. What is meaningful are the results. Spending lots of time for small results may gets you praise for trying but not for doing. Praise spreaded around indiscriminately (which is something quite a few people like doing) loses all its value.
        Jean, I find your comments offensive. Many many chess clubs and tournaments across the country survive on the sweat and blood of countless volunteers. Without them, there simply would not be any organized chess in Canada. They deserve our praise, whatever their level of success.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Jean, I find your comments offensive. Many many chess clubs and tournaments across the country survive on the sweat and blood of countless volunteers. Without them, there simply would not be any organized chess in Canada. They deserve our praise, whatever their level of success.
          Bob,
          What can be so offensive about using one's judgement when issuing praise ? Do you praise your kids all the time just for doing, regardless of what they actually do and how they do it ? Personally if I do something poorly I'd rather have advice on how to do it better in the future than praise who could come only from a flatterer or someone with poor judgement and ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Many many chess clubs and tournaments across the country survive on the sweat and blood of countless volunteers. Without them, there simply would not be any organized chess in Canada. They deserve our praise, whatever their level of success.
            From each, according to gifts (talent); to each according to work. Albanian communism. It can teach us something. Every day.

Comment

Mr. Hébert, If you don't like the word praise, then substitute it with encouragement and it would have the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
                Mr. Hébert, If you don't like the word praise, then substitute it with encouragement and it would have the same effect.
                M. Poulin,
                For private messages I have a phone number, an email address or a Skype number. You wouldn't want me to use a message board to send you private messages, or would you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  Thank you, both Gordon Ritchie and Hans Jung, for speaking up against the "Hebert Hubris" and defending Canadian chess organizers! Hans, I like your idea.

Also Hans, while you were at the St. Louis club, did you get any idea as to how the club funds itself? Is the money primarily coming from the founder? The US Championship has some sponsors, but they are barely mentioned anywhere on the site (a last page mention in the Media Kit file). So it appears sponsors are a very minor part of the club's funding.

I see Hebert in this thread makes the case that the US Championship is a heavily corporate sponsored event, but the facts do not indicate this. There actually seems to be no public record as to how much of the prize money and the costs of running the tournament (including the live daily coverage) are from corporate sponsors.
                  Please see Marc Poulin's and Gordon Ritchie's thoughtful posts on the sponsorship thread elsewhere. I would think that the St Louis organization would have plenty of "goodwill" sponsorship as identified by Marc Poulin and Gordon Ritchie identified it as "personal connections". My read on the scene is that the St. Louis organization is very professional in all aspects and would have great depth in financial backing, planning, and management. I see this as involving extensive teamwork, cooperation and support.

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                    Not sure if this is what you mean by recognition (organizers collectively? or specific folks?), but I did try to start the Volunteer of the Year award. You can see the 2008 recipient, Hugh Brodie, mentioned on the CFC's web site.
                    Bravo David, this is an excellent first step but I think more steps need to be taken (even if it is just an accumulation of total hours of volunteer work submitted - that would be a small start). I doubt we could get anywhere close to the total volunteer hours worked every year in the spirit of chess organizing but at least the public and more importantly chessplayers in general would "see" how much volunteer work actually goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by marc poulin View Post
                      mr. Hébert, if you don't like the word praise ...
                      Слава труду !

(Russian for: in praise of work (or labour), a phrase often seen on Communist monuments, for example in the park across the street from the Cosmos Hotel in Moscow, familiar to a few chessplayers.)

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                        I PM'd Hal Bond on May 9th, 2010 with a few questions to clarify some issues, and received no response of any sort.
                        I'd just like to bump to note that over a month has passed now with still no response.

Comment

[deleted...by me]

Comment

Working...
                          X