Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    It is not only about the number of byes, it is mostly about half point byes instead of ZERO point byes (as is the norm in Europe). When taking half point byes becomes a strategy to win events, some people should wake up but they don't.
    when players take easy agreed to draws as a strategy to win or share prize money then someone should wake up too but the entire chess world has never been able to solve that bigger problem

Comment

Re: BYEs

Hi Matthew:

It was my understanding, that in one round, maybe Rd. 1? , a player did not show up for the game, Stephen Boyd agreed to act as a " floater " and filled in so the person got a game ( this is usually by consent of the player - he'd rather play than get a forfeit point ). So I think that's why he's in.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Matthew:

It was my understanding, that in one round, maybe Rd. 1? , a player did not show up for the game, Stephen Boyd agreed to act as a " floater " and filled in so the person got a game ( this is usually by consent of the player - he'd rather play than get a forfeit point ). So I think that's why he's in.

Bob
        Except, why does Boyd have 2.5 then? Does it matter?

Comment

Hi Matthew:

I'm not a TD, so I may not be the best to answer. But I think with floaters, they keep them in the cross table, with byes when they aren't used. That way they have a record each round if they are needed again. Some TD can advise if I understand Stephen's score correctly.

For example, I think if there are an odd number of players, then the floater is put in the pairings at whatever score he has been assigned by the byes.

Bob

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            when players take easy agreed to draws as a strategy to win or share prize money then someone should wake up too but the entire chess world has never been able to solve that bigger problem
            Being unable to solve a "bigger problem" is no reason to refuse to act to solve a smaller one, especially if that smaller problem is easily solved.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

Being unable to solve a "bigger problem" is no reason to refuse to act to solve a smaller one, especially if that smaller problem is easily solved.
              the bigger problem makes the smaller problem irrelevant or immaterial as we accounting students like to say

its like checking all coins at a bank for counterfits but taking all bills without question

very few people requesting byes before a tournament starts are doing so with a view to winning the tournament, they are doing it so they can participate in the tournament given their other obligations

many people do arrange GM draws to win tournaments, rest up for the next opponent, and they are better able to do so unlike taking byes in advance because they know exactly what the standings are before they do it and they know their opponent well enough to collude with them - of course its called a GM draw but its for any 2 players that want to create a 1/2 point bye for themselves

personally if I had played in this tournament which I was debating I would have taken 3 byes due to my class schedule and I would like to think that I wouldn't be penalized by being shut completely out of any chances of prize money by being given zero byes since I would have paid the same registration fee as everyone else

I also often as well as others take a 1/2 point bye in the first round if there is a Friday night game before the weekend as it cuts back on my travel time and expenses
              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 15th July, 2010, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post

personally if I had played in this tournament which I was debating I would have taken 3 byes due to my class schedule and I would like to think that I wouldn't be penalized by being shut completely out of any chances of prize money by being given zero byes since I would have paid the same registration fee as everyone else.
                Zero point byes would not hurt much your prize winning chances in a yoyo event such as the Canadian Open. You get much easier pairings afterwards and you will score better in the games that you actually play (isn't that a nice side effect of zero point byes?). We need rules that apply to everyone, especially if they play in the same one section event, the GM going for a top prize and the others going for class prizes or no prize at all.
                GM draws are a completely different matter. Then one gets a half point but also gives away a half point. In the case of half-point byes, one takes but does not give...

Comment

Makes perfect sense to me: no play, no points.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

Zero point byes would not hurt much your prize winning chances in a yoyo event such as the Canadian Open. You get much easier pairings afterwards and you will score better in the games that you actually play (isn't that a nice side effect of zero point byes?). We need rules that apply to everyone, especially if they play in the same one section event, the GM going for a top prize and the others going for class prizes or no prize at all.
                    GM draws are a completely different matter. Then one gets a half point but also gives away a half point. In the case of half-point byes, one takes but does not give...
                    well you may give a 1 point bye to someone else or you may just get a 1/2 point with everyone else who decided to take a bye so in effect all the players who decided to take a bye that round are giving & taking a 1/2 point bye to each other?

personally its not an issue for me since I'm not playing in this Canadian Open and since I'm never concerned with prize money in any case, nice if I get it once in a while but the occassional medal or other prize like a gift certificate is much more appreciated

Comment

It sort of bothers me that a 1479 took 3 byes (Round 3, 6, 7) and will have 4.5 points, especially since while he's unlikely to win the category, 4.5 will put him in, at worst, second place after 7 rounds; and assuming the lower rated players lose, first.

You shouldn't be able to take Byes this late in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
                        Actually, that was the main point of my post that started this thread. Although I understand the reasons people take pre-arranged byes, tossing around free half points seems like a good way to spoil the results.

In any case, byes should not be permitted much past the half way mark of the tournament and certainly not in the second last round!

I couldn't commit the time to play in the entire CO, so I decided not to play at all. I could have taken 4 byes, but then the entry fee per game rises dramatically! (kidding)
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          Actually, that was the main point of my post that started this thread. Although I understand the reasons people take pre-arranged byes, tossing around free half points seems like a good way to spoil the results.

In any case, byes should not be permitted much past the half way mark of the tournament and certainly not in the second last round!

I couldn't commit the time to play in the entire CO, so I decided not to play at all. I could have taken 4 byes, but then the entry fee per game rises dramatically! (kidding)
                          :).

It's just frustrating that he's "tied" with me. If I lose tonight, while I play an FM, he's actually ahead. Then I need to try to beat someone 2000+ strength just to catch him.

Totally unfair, particularly since his most impressive win is against a 1700 if memory serves.

Comment

IMHO, byes (with 1/2 point) are not bad at all, however those players using them should not claim prizes.

Comment

Re : Re: BYEs

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
                              It sort of bothers me that a 1479 took 3 byes (Round 3, 6, 7) and will have 4.5 points, especially since while he's unlikely to win the category, 4.5 will put him in, at worst, second place after 7 rounds; and assuming the lower rated players lose, first.

Most people see how serious a problem is when they are personally affected by it but not a second before. On the other hand if they are benefitting from a certain situation they see no problem at all...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: BYEs

Most people see how serious a problem is when they are personally affected by it but not a second before. On the other hand if they are benefitting from a certain situation they see no problem at all...
                                I'm not playing for Prize Money, so it doesn't really personally affect me much. It does personally affect all of the U2000s, U1800s and U1600s though, only one of which currently has 4.5 (a U2000), and nobody else has over 4 in those groups.

Comment

Working...
                                X