Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Re: BYEs

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
    I'm not playing for Prize Money, so it doesn't really personally affect me much.
    It doesn't affect you much, just enough to complain... ;)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: BYEs

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      It doesn't affect you much, just enough to complain... ;)
      I'm a law student. We complain about everything. It comes with the territory. :P

Comment

Re: BYEs

Half point byes:
        downside - easy points, leading to wrong player winning prize
        upside - better pairing after ?
        Zero point byes:
        downside - nothing?
        Upside - players less likely to request byes, more likely to play

seems like a no brainer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          Half point byes:
          downside - easy points, leading to wrong player winning prize
          upside - better pairing after ?
          Zero point byes:
          downside - nothing?
          Upside - players less likely to request byes, more likely to play

seems like a no brainer to me.
          or people not registering for tournaments

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            or people not registering for tournaments
            I think if you gave:
            0.5 point byes (max 3)
            If you have not used any Byes, you may use first one up to Round 7
            If you have used a bye, any after Round 5 are 0 point.

Comment

I think if you gave:
              0.5 point byes (max 3)
              If you have not used any Byes, you may use first one up to Round 7
              If you have used a bye, any after Round 5 are 0 point.
              of course if you organize a tournament you are free to set what you like

Comment

of course if you organize a tournament you are free to set what you like
                I was simply saying you would solve the problem.

Comment

I was simply saying you would solve the problem.
                  if there is a problem

Comment

if there is a problem
                    There is.

Next question?

Comment

There is.

Next question?
                      no there is not and no more questions, you seem to be the only one who is complaining, the loud minority as it were

Comment

no there is not and no more questions, you seem to be the only one who is complaining, the loud minority as it were
                        Many people say nothing because they realize it is unlikely to make a difference. That should not be mistaken for a tacit acceptance of the methodology chosen.

I am vocal merely because I currently have the time to do so, and because I want the tournament that I took a week off work to play in, to be fair.

You'd think I was arguing for all of King Midas' treasure, the way some of your posts are directed.

Comment

Many people say nothing because they realize it is unlikely to make a difference. That should not be mistaken for a tacit acceptance of the methodology chosen.

I am vocal merely because I currently have the time to do so, and because I want the tournament that I took a week off work to play in, to be fair.

You'd think I was arguing for all of King Midas' treasure, the way some of your posts are directed.
                          http://chess.ca/memberinfo.asp?CFCN=142900

You've played in 6 CFC tournaments your entire life, and this is your 7th? And you are an authority on how tournaments should be run? Are you some kind of parody? Your pairings may not be exactly as you like but they don't appear to be unfair. However, maybe the next TD in the next tournament you play will give you exactly the pairings you want, pick a player, any player Matthew.

I just don't like the type of whiner you represent. I've seen too much damage to Canadian chess due to organizers and TDs being endlessly harrangued and driven out of a thankless task by people like you. Sometimes if you whine people will whine back. You have freedom of speech but so do I. You have no idea why no one else is complaining except to paint yourself as their defender.

I'm just being vocal right now because I have the time and I just want the organizers to be treated fairly, whatever small problems there may be.
                          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Saturday, 17th July, 2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : BYEs

I think having as many byes as you like in a tournament would be fine but they should all be zero point byes.

I don`t think one should get even half a point for being on vacation.

Comment

http://chess.ca/memberinfo.asp?CFCN=142900

You've played in 6 CFC tournaments your entire life, and this is your 7th? And you are an authority on how tournaments should be run? Are you some kind of parody? Your pairings may not be exactly as you like but they don't appear to be unfair. However, maybe the next TD in the next tournament you play will give you exactly the pairings you want, pick a player, any player Matthew.
                              I thought we already drew names out of a hat? That was in Round #3. Don't you remember?

As to the number of tournaments, yes. I've played in 6. Why? I don't want to waste my time playing in 5 hour games, when I have other things to do. I rarely take the time to play in them, but this does not correlate to a lack of understanding about how they are structured.

Playing in tournaments does not, by default, generate any special expertise in how the pairings are drafted. Do you know what does? Understanding the rules, reading them, having a thorough knowledge of data organization and other such things. Without know my credentials or background, do you not think it is a *tad* presumptuous of you to assume that a simple lack of tournament play renders me incapable of analyzing a pairing structure?

Of course, I'm the parody here, the guy advocating for the interests of all the players in the tournament in Round 3, at my own expense; the individual who after a player got DQ'ed in Round 1 for no legitimate reason (in, I should add, my opinion) spoke on their behalf anyway - despite not knowing the player and having no personal stake in the outcome.

I just don't like the type of whiner you represent. I've seen too much damage to Canadian chess by organizers and TDs being endlessly harrangued and driven out of a thankless task by people like you. Sometimes if you whine people will whine back, it goes with the territory, get used to it.
                              And I don't like the type of person you represent, so I suppose, we are equal on that score.

I want the tournament to be run fairly, transparently, and openly. I have said all along that I do not care if that adversely affects my own chances, but I do want to make sure it's just. I also have no interest in deferring to someone merely because some person somewhere thought it fit to give them a title.

I realize, that some people, and perhaps you count yourself among them, are too afraid to stand up and say, "Hey wait a minute, something here doesn't add up", and that's fine. I have not expected, and do not expect, that everyone will have the internal fortitude to fight for what they believe in or object when things are wrong.

In this tournament, there was at the very least, one entirely egregious screw up in Round #3. That has not changed, and it continues to affect pairings and results. The moment that happened, every single person involved in the administration of this tournament lost total credibility. There no longer is, what could best be titled, consumer confidence, in the pairings or results. When you are investing significant portions of your time and money to participate in such things, that's a problem. When the results appear questionable, like my pairing currently is, then it is an even greater opportunity for someone to ask whether they are being done correctly.

Now, instead of your acting as though you're the school yard bully and utilizing ad hominem attacks to attempt to convey your position, why not actually try to rationally consider the way the tournament has been run, and whether you consider that to be the way you would want a *national* tournament to be administered.

If that's the very best Canadian Chess has to offer, it is no wonder we lag behind so many other countries in it.
                              Last edited by Matthew Scott; Saturday, 17th July, 2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I can certainly see 1/2 point byes in round 1. Maybe rounds 2 and 3 in a long tourney. But for fairness, for the majority who play, don't put non players into contention, like one of Matthew's rivals has been with byes in rounds 4 and 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X