Clear All

Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Sportsmanship above all.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
      "Nattering nabobs of negativism" is one of the most popular turns of phrase associated with U.S. Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, who served under Richard Nixon until resigning in October 1974, after pleading no contest to charges of tax fraud. Agnew, who had a particularly acrimonious relationship with the press, used this term to refer to the members of the media, whom he also deemed "an effete corps of impudent snobs." -- Answers.com
      Spiro Agnew just read the speech. William Safire wrote it. The phrase with all its shades of meaning seemed quite appropriate to the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        A reader would have to be brainless to miss the implication made against KM. An apology would put EZ ahead of one of those bullies.
        Mr. Berry, I will let you start off the round of apologies for calling everyone who read this thread, and understood that I made no accusation, "brainless".

Perhaps this clip will inspire you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdzqTGmEcZE

Comment

Jean, there's no need to play devil's advocate. EVERYONE knows Ed is wrong. Unless you know him or is associated with him somehow, you don't have to defend him. Ed, you're a funny individual. You honestly think what you said about Keith and how he basically gave a draw to his opponent isn't disrespectful? I don't care if you're 1500 or 2500, you don't say crap about other people and get away with it while acting like you're a victim, especially on chesstalk. You do understand no one is going to be on your side and by putting your name on here, any big tournament in Canada that you play in now will know who you are by name right? Honestly I only associate your rating because you seem to know so much about that endgame when obviously you don't. I know some people seems to get offended by language issues but please, grow up. This isn't a primary school classroom and we're all adults who hear words like bully and asshole among other things everyday.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

it is transparently clear to me that you did in fact imply nefarious conduct. No apology by Jonathan is required. He is completely correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              Jean, there's no need to play devil's advocate. EVERYONE knows Ed is wrong. Unless you know him or is associated with him somehow, you don't have to defend him. Ed, you're a funny individual. You honestly think what you said about Keith and how he basically gave a draw to his opponent isn't disrespectful? I don't care if you're 1500 or 2500, you don't say crap about other people and get away with it while acting like you're a victim, especially on chesstalk. You do understand no one is going to be on your side and by putting your name on here, any big tournament in Canada that you play in now will know who you are by name right? Honestly I only associate your rating because you seem to know so much about that endgame when obviously you don't. I know some people seems to get offended by language issues but please, grow up. This isn't a primary school classroom and we're all adults who hear words like bully and asshole among other things everyday.
              I'm sorry Bindi, but your diatribe is so rife with accusations, lies, contradictions, irrelevancies, slander and just plain silliness, I don't have a clue what you're trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Zator View Post
                I'm sorry Bindi, but your diatribe is so rife with accusations, lies, contradictions, irrelevancies, slander and just plain silliness, I don't have a clue what you're trying to say.
                then learn english, ski
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  it is transparently clear to me that you did in fact imply nefarious conduct.
                  Nefarious conduct??? Good heavens Roger! I implied a questionable result. That could come about in any number of ways, including unintentionally.
                  Sunspots could even be the cause.

It's up to the arbiter to either make an accusation, or just simply dismiss my complaint, which he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                    "Nattering nabobs of negativism" is one of the most popular turns of phrase associated with U.S. Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, who served under Richard Nixon until resigning in October 1974, after pleading no contest to charges of tax fraud. Agnew, who had a particularly acrimonious relationship with the press, used this term to refer to the members of the media, whom he also deemed "an effete corps of impudent snobs." -- Answers.com
                    We all learned 2 things from Agnew:

1) Apparently nabob means something besides gelatin or pudding.

2) The Latin phrase for "no contest".

Comment

• Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      They were what, 38 moves towards a 50-move draw? The last capture was on move 57. Black tried really hard to win, but White was equal to the task. A grand battle.
                      Black was moving rather quickly with his queen, instead of conserving his moves (before his opponent could claim a draw), and looking for a winning method, what I would do. He still had 15 minutes on his clock.

What I didn't consider, is Black actually losing on time! All White had to do was move his pawn every 50 moves, and now Black has possibly 200 moves to make, plus writing.

In that situation, where drawing gets you only a small prize, I myself would have gone for broke. But a draw is a good result, given the danger of losing on Black's mind.

It was maybe Cheng who showed a square to park the Queen on, a move I also considered, but I'm not sure if that's the forcing method.

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Nefarious conduct??? Good heavens Roger! I implied a questionable result. That could come about in any number of ways, including unintentionally.
                        Sunspots could even be the cause.

It's up to the arbiter to either make an accusation, or just simply dismiss my complaint, which he did.
                        and when he dismissed it you complained as widely & loudly as possible

do you mean you were setting Hal up as the guy who was to be pressing your accustation? sounds like if Hal was not as sharp & smart as he is and handled it correctly as he did, you were prepared to make him the fall guy for your accusations, just as long as you get your money eh?

Comment

What I didn't consider, is Black actually losing on time!
                          THERE WERE +30 SECs for EVERY MOVE MADE.

Comment

I'm still not convinced Hal had any obligation to pursue any allegation in this situation.
                            Last edited by Ken Craft; Thursday, 22nd July, 2010, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Re : Re: Excellent Canadian Open, Spoiled

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                              I know some people seems to get offended by language issues but please, grow up. This isn't a primary school classroom and we're all adults who hear words like bully and asshole among other things everyday.
                              I have been an adult (in age at least) for a lot longer than you and fortunately words like "asshole" have never not been part of my daily menu. My background is totally middle class and public schools. But my parents would not have tolerated that kind of language.

"Youth is generally the time of life when we are too old to follow an advice." -Unknown

Comment

While we're still off-topic here, these last few posts bring to mind the commercials that used to play on Montreal TV and radio in the 1970's for a men's clothing store.

Montreal Canadiens player Yvon Lambert would say with a thick accent:

"When I buy a suit, the last thing I want is 'assle. At Dorion Suit I get no 'assle".

The offending word was changed to "problems" in a later version.

Comment

Working...
                                X