FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

The AGM is now history. Do we know now where the CFC vote will go ?

Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    The AGM is now history. Do we know now where the CFC vote will go ?
    According to the notes I gathered from David Cohen's posts, this is what was decided at the AGM:

FIDE President - discussed. Split amongst Kirsan, Karpov, abstain. Tabled to Executive.

I guess the CFC Executive have the ball now. How much time remains until the votes have to be cast?

(I am not advocating the CFC should wait to the last minute or beyond; I would prefer the CFC state their preference early).
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      According to the notes I gathered from David Cohen's posts, this is what was decided at the AGM:

FIDE President - discussed. Split amongst Kirsan, Karpov, abstain. Tabled to Executive.

I guess the CFC Executive have the ball now. How much time remains until the votes have to be cast?

(I am not advocating the CFC should wait to the last minute or beyond; I would prefer the CFC state their preference early).
      Karpov seems unreliable. He attaches his name to any chess 'academy', then when grants run dry from his lion's share, he moves on. The incumbent, despite murky circumstances from where his riches evolved; Kirsan, that is,
      should be favoured. In exchange Canada gets to send JH to Kalmykia to teach (he is solely responsible for Leseige's strength) and get his overdue GM title. Russia sends us Dvoretsky. A win-win?

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

This is bad news. Indecisiveness most probably means another third world vote for the status quo.

Comment

well if Canada supports Kirsan we will spoil the perfect 64

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6488

Comment

Kevin S. wrote an interesting update today. He predicts that Canada will support Ilyumzhinov, more for opportunistic reasons than principles. :(

SPRAGGETT ON CHESS
            Brazilian grandmaster Giovani Vescovi has written an interesting summary of the FIDE elections that appeared yesterday. This can be found at :
            http://espnbrasil.terra.com.br/giova...EICOES+NA+FIDE

According to Vescovi, it is time for a change in the FIDE leadership, if only because there is little sense in continuing down the same fruitless path: chess is becoming marginalized in the world and corporate sponsors want nothing to do with FIDE. Vescovi supports Karpov's candidacy, though does not seem particularly enthusiastic about his chances, nor does he glow about any particular item in Karpov's platform. Simply, change for change's sake...it can hardly be worse than it already is. Brasil has already committed its vote for Ilyumzhinov and so it is curious to see how the top grandmasters in Brazil have such little influence over the self-serving politicos in the Brazilian Chess Federation. The situation is similar in many countries, including Canada.

However, Vescovi has a persuasive argument why Brazil should support Karpov: he states that since Brazil is no longer a 3rd-world country (Brazil has one of the strongest economies in the world and its president --Lulu--is one of the most influential leaders today) Brazil should show leadership and follow the examples of many of the western countries that support Karpov.

I also support Karpov for FIDE president (but with certain reservations, as already pointed out here on this blog)

The latest reunion of the Canadian Chess Federation discussed the issue of which candidate Canada should support. Apparently those in attendance were evenly divided as to their preferances...but in typical cowardly fashion it was decided to make that decision behind closed doors sometime in the near future.

While Canadian chess has nothing to gain from supporting either candidate , Hal Bond has made it clear that he would like to continue to do some FIDE arbitering abroad--and this would likely end should Canada vote for Karpov and Ilyumzhinov win. It appears that the CFC executive will support Bond's cause....

Canada's grand-daddy of IAs (international arbiters)--Phil Haley--has come out on one of the Canadian chess message boards and publically called for Canada supporting Karpov in no uncertain way and he has even suggested that Canada should become more involved in Karpov's campaign.

While in the past Canada could always be counted on supporting the candidate that Europe would vote for, things have changed in recent times. Ilyumzhinov is expected to win hands down against Karpov (who will probably throw in the towel sometime in the next week or two), and it is worth asking the pragmatic question: why should Canada care about the 2010 election?

The election in 2014 will be much more interesting...by then Ilyumzhinov will be approaching 20 years as head of FIDE and even his most loyal supporters will sense the need for historical change at the helm of the international chess organization. I think that Karpov mis-timed his candidacy in 2010 (when Ilyumzhinov is at the peak of his popularity) and should he still be interested in four years time, then he will become the favourite to win.

Comment

Let's get the record straight here.........

Kevin is again, where CFC is his target, conjuring allegations out of thin air, and impugning the motives of Hal Bond and the CFC Governors on this FIDE election issue.

Hal Bond has been very clear that he prefers not to express an opinion, and to get direction from the governors ( who passed the ball to the CFC executive to tell Hal how to vote ).

Hal stated that if he publicly came out and supported Ilymzhinov, he would appear to be merely protecting his own future FIDE arbitering interests - in other words, he felt he needed to declare a conflict of interest here, and not vote as a governor publicly on who to support. It is also likely true that he would prefer to avoid publicly declaring for Karpov, where it appears Karpov is doomed to defeat, since there might be retribution from Ilyumzhinov against him in future. I think Hal's position makes ultimate sense. It is pure fiction for Kevin to suggest that Hal is somehow lobbying for CFC to support Ilymzhinov, to feather his own nest. And it is equally fabrication to state that the CFC governors would vote solely to protect Hal's position, rather than on whom is the better candidate.

The Governors in their confidential debate at the AGM, saw weaknesses in both slates, based on personal experience with some of the candidates by some governors. The position was put that CFC should do the " right "' thing - but what that was was not clear to all. There were legitimate arguments for supporting both sides it seemed, and the governors were clearly divided among Karpov, Ilyumzhinov and abstain.........and it had nothing to do with Hal's FIDE arbiter position.

Bob

Comment

Just to spice everything, Dvorkovitch offered changes to the current World Championship:
                from Baku to Kazan (men)
                from knock-out to grand-prix (women)
                (from Russian newspaper http://www.kommersant.ru/doc-y.aspx?DocsID=1473292 )

g Sutovky proposed some changes too, see chessbase.com

---
                At the same time Karpov travels the world promoting his agenda.
                Three champions in Dortmund.

Comment

Bob Armstrong,

I appreciate your clarifications. It is comforting to see that the focus is on making the right decision.

When will the CFC make a decision? I am just asking for your informed guess.
                  Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Thursday, 22nd July, 2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

After Karpov withdraws...;)

Comment

Hi Jean:

I really do not know what the Executive is going to do on this. They could:

1. make a public announcement right away, taking the principled high road of a public declaration, and go into one camp or the other:
                      2. they might be pragmatic, and as Ken suggests, wait to see if Karpov withdraws, relieving them of having to decide, and offend somebody.
                      3. they may consider Canada's vote confidential, and quietly give Hal instructions. I do not know if the election is by secret ballot at the FIDE Congress. But I believe that even if it is, everyone will find out one way or anther how Canada voted. And I feel CFC members have a right to ask the CFC to declare themselves publicly. So I don't endorse this option.
                      4. they may instruct Hal to abstain, on the grounds they have misgivings about both candidates.

Don't know if this helps much, but it is a few of my thoughts on this.

Bob

Comment

Re: FIDE does what for Canada?

Some questions

1.What does FIDE actually do for Canada?(apart from letting us be a zone)
                        2.What do we have a complaint about that we would like addressed?
                        3.What we like done better?
                        4.What is the difference to Canada with either candidate in charge?

I'm having a hard time why anyone should care who is in charge of FIDE.

Michael Yip

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Jean:

1. make a public announcement right away, taking the principled high road of a public declaration, and go into one camp or the other:
                          2. they might be pragmatic, and as Ken suggests, wait to see if Karpov withdraws, relieving them of having to decide, and offend somebody.
                          3. they may consider Canada's vote confidential, and quietly give Hal instructions. I do not know if the election is by secret ballot at the FIDE Congress. But I believe that even if it is, everyone will find out one way or anther how Canada voted. And I feel CFC members have a right to ask the CFC to declare themselves publicly. So I don't endorse this option.
                          4. they may instruct Hal to abstain, on the grounds they have misgivings about both candidates.

Bob
                          Bob,

decision making is here slower and more obscure than in Russia!

Seriously, my suggestion is that CFC should set a deadline (like August 15) and ask the governors to vote.

A timely decision is better than a late decision.
                          With no decision, I am afraid that Canada does not look good on the international scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Hi Jean:

Bob
                            Considering the number of countries/zones that have already declared (very publicly), I presume it is not a secret ballot (unless what is declared is sometimes changed in the voting booth!) :)
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post

While Canadian chess has nothing to gain from supporting either candidate, Hal Bond has made it clear that he would like to continue to do some FIDE arbitering abroad--and this would likely end should Canada vote for Karpov and Ilyumzhinov win. It appears that the CFC executive will support Bond's cause...

Canada's grand-daddy of IAs (international arbiters)--Phil Haley--has come out on one of the Canadian chess message boards and publically called for Canada supporting Karpov in no uncertain way and he has even suggested that Canada should become more involved in Karpov's campaign.

While in the past Canada could always be counted on supporting the candidate that Europe would vote for, things have changed in recent times. - Spraggett
                              I think that Kevin has a pretty good read on things this time. The only convincing way to prove that he is wrong would be to vote for Karpov...

I predict that Karpov is NOT going to throw the towel any time soon, even if he may be headed to defeat, and that the CFC will have to commit itself and cast a vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X