FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Hi Jean:

The governors did vote at the AGM on this issue - they passed a motion that instructions to the FIDE Rep., Hal Bond, were to be given to him by the Executive ( rather than the governors voting on the issue ).

So, you are not going to get a governor vote on this issue now.

Bob

Comment

Hi Kerry:

Countries may be deciding to declare publicly their vote, for various reasons. But this doesn't mean there may not in fact be a secret ballot vote at the Congress. But I'm afraid I don't kow. Maybe the current, or one of the past FIDE reps, who were involved in elections, might let us know if it is secret.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Kerry:

Countries may be deciding to declare publicly their vote, for various reasons. But this doesn't mean there may not in fact be a secret ballot vote at the Congress. But I'm afraid I don't kow. Maybe the current, or one of the past FIDE reps, who were involved in elections, might let us know if it is secret.

Bob
        I forgot this is FIDE... Hal confirmed in a separate thread that there is a secret ballot. So there are two issues: how should Canada APPEAR to vote and how should they REALLY vote? lol
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hal Bond, FIDE Rep., in another thread , has advised:

" Both the Presidential election and the Olympiad vote [ for 2014 ] will be secret ballots. "

So I guess, Canada could take the position that the ballot is secret, and so they do not have to take a public stand. Don't know if this will make the members very happy though, if the Executive chooses this option.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            I forgot this is FIDE... Hal confirmed in a separate thread that there is a secret ballot. So there are two issues: how should Canada APPEAR to vote and how should they REALLY vote? lol
            Send an open proxy (if it is allowed.) :D

How has the CFC voted (or acted) at least since 1994 (?)

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Hi Jean:

The governors did vote at the AGM on this issue - they passed a motion that instructions to the FIDE Rep., Hal Bond, were to be given to him by the Executive ( rather than the governors voting on the issue ).

So, you are not going to get a governor vote on this issue now.
              Hi Bob,
              I was not talking "governor vote". I meant that since Karpov is not going to throw in the towel (in my opinion) there will be a vote for the FIDE presidency at the forthcoming olympiad. The CFC will have to vote then.

By the way it is quite surprising that a governor vote did not produce even a simple majority in favor of one of the candidates... What was the score exactly ?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Hi Jean H.:

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post - I was replying to Jean Sasserville's post a bit above. But I can say this:

It was treated as an in camera confidential discussion, not for the minutes. There was a straw vote taken, and I believe it is not to be made public - you can check with Bob Gillanders on that. But I think I can say there was no majority - it was divided between Karpov, Ilyumzhinov, abstain and some governors didn't vote at all ( and since it was based on the AGM discussion, it was felt that proxies would not be voted in the straw vote ). So it was really a very limited no. of governors giving their opinion. This was another reason it got deferred to the Executive. If you are looking for anything more, I'd have to suggest you contact Bob G., now the keeper of the keys !

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 22nd July, 2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Does anybody know the opinion of the leading Canadian players and main TDs/sponsors with regards to FIDE elections?
                  Does anybody know the opinion of top respectable players such Kramnik and Anand?

Comment

Bob,
                    My proxy gave instructions on whom to vote for. Was my proxy used in that straw vote? In the interests of transparency, I believe the Federation should support Karpov.

Comment

Hi Ken:

The instructions from the chair were to not vote proxies, because the proxy sender had not been privy to the debate on the floor, since it was only a straw vote.

Bob

Comment

Hi Ken:

The instructions from the chair were to not vote proxies, because the proxy sender had not been privy to the debate on the floor, since it was only a straw vote.

Bob
                        that doesn't sound procedurally correct at all, there is no requirment for proxies to hear the debate on the floor, there is nothing binding about that debate or special about that debate for that matter

Comment

What value would the proxies have in this case? It was a vote for general direction, not a binding resolution.

If he had allowed proxies I would probably have abstained with the one I was holding at the time.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

general direction as in who to support or how to proceed with deciding who to support?

what instruction had the person who gave you the proxy given to you? if they supported a particular candidate and it came down to any kind of vote as to which candidate to support then personally I would have voted the proxy if instructed as to which candidate that person supported

if it came down to how do we proceed only, then I would agree with you

although I don't know why a vote would not be taken on which candidate people support, otherwise how else would someone making the decision down the line take into account the wishes of the membership if they don't know what those are? as I understood from Bob Armstrong's blog such a vote was taken
                            Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 23rd July, 2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

AFAIK nobody had proxy instructions except possibly one person on this matter, since it wasn't on the emailed agenda.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Zeljko:

It was my understanding that the chair was callinig a vote on whom to support, only as a straw vote, to get a sense as to whether there was any kind of consensus ( and as I understood it, we were only to vote our own votes, not our proxies, even if specific instructions were given, because there had been lots of information put forward in debate about personal experiences with various slate candidates, and other valid points made for either side ) - I think his idea was that if not, then the matter would likely be referrred to the executive by the governors.

Had it come to a formal vote, Maurice, I'm sure, would have expected us to vote our proxies, despite them not hearing debate, as usual and as was done for all other votes taken.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X