FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FIDE presidency: and the CFC's vote goes to...

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Zeljko:

It was my understanding that the chair was callinig a vote on whom to support, only as a straw vote, to get a sense as to whether there was any kind of consensus ( and as I understood it, we were only to vote our own votes, not our proxies, even if specific instructions were given, because there had been lots of information put forward in debate about personal experiences with various slate candidates, and other valid points made for either side ) - I think his idea was that if not, then the matter would likely be referrred to the executive by the governors.

Had it come to a formal vote, Maurice, I'm sure, would have expected us to vote our proxies, despite them not hearing debate, as usual and as was done for all other votes taken.

Bob
    I don't see the difference Bob, actually I think proxies are more relevant to a straw vote since it is informal and not binding, if they are good enough for a binding vote then they should be more than good enough for a straw vote, I'm not required to have heard every debate anytime I vote anywhere for anything

unless of course he just wanted a sense of the floor following the debate but then maybe a showing of proxies could have been done as well? the point being is now there is no input from the proxies as to who they support
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 23rd July, 2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

The chair's instructions were incorrect. Following that logic no proxies should be voted on anything because the debate could have changed their mind. No big deal although I would prefer the governors to decide who the CFC will support not the executive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Ken:

The instructions from the chair were to not vote proxies, because the proxy sender had not been privy to the debate on the floor, since it was only a straw vote.

Bob
        That's actually a brilliant justification for dismissing proxies.

Don't vote the proxies because the proxy sender didn't hear what I have to say. After all, how can a person know how to decide without listening to the brilliance and elegance of all the speakers?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Puerto Rico: Democracy in action (no secret vote)

Go see K.S.'s blog or Karpov's site:
          http://www.karpov2010.org/2010/07/pu...sssponsorship/

When the Federation’s leadership balked at an open debate over whom to support for FIDE president, an Extraordinary Assembly was called. As the remarkable videos show, well over 100 members came out to vote! The result was a clear win to support the ticket of Anatoly Karpov.

The vote took place just weeks after the visit of Garry Kasparov to Puerto Rico, where he was very well received. Kasparov was impressed with the passion for chess on the island and especially by the Casa del Ajedrez, an amazing institution that the Karpov campaign has pledged to turn into a Latin American / Caribbean operations center. As Rafael Ortiz puts it, “it makes perfect sense because Puerto Rico is the e4 square on a board that spans Argentina to Canada!” And who knows better than Karpov about controlling the center of the board?
          Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Friday, 23rd July, 2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Re: FIDE does what for Canada?

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
            Some questions

1.What does FIDE actually do for Canada?(apart from letting us be a zone)
            2.What do we have a complaint about that we would like addressed?
            3.What we like done better?
            4.What is the difference to Canada with either candidate in charge?

I'm having a hard time why anyone should care who is in charge of FIDE.

Michael Yip
            Michael,

Since noone answered your post, I will give a shot. A great number of Canadians seem to not care who is in charge of FIDE and that is fine. Using me as an example. I will illustrate why some do care. There are lots of different views and I do not pretend whatsoever that my opinion is more important than anyone else.

I am an expert from Montreal. For long periods, I have not played chess. But I have travelled a lot for business reasons and have lived a few years in Europe. I have much enjoyed attending as a spectator tournaments and matches. My greatest memory is seeing the Kasparov- Deep Blue match in New York. We were in a large auditorium and Kasparov joined us after the game. Listening him live is quite an experience. You really see how passionate he is.

Anyway, in the good old days, there were private sponsorhips for world championship matches and they were held in large international capitals: New York, Paris, Lyon, London, Seville, Moscow. This helped attract more media attention. Now they are held in cities I have a hard time remembering...

So the main reason I prefer Karpov is that he has the respectability and connection to bring back corporate money to chess. This will not benefit Canada directly but only indirectly as I hope chess will become more prestigious. I believe we should not underestimate the impact of well-run and publicized championships (remember the Fischer-Spassky effect on chess worldwide).

Hope this helps,

P.S. FIDE had given the next Grand Prix Baku, Azerbaijan. Now they want to move it to Kazan, Russia. Topalov has just sent an open letter protesting against another tournament in Russia and he threatens to not attend. It cannot get worse than this.
            http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6543
            Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Saturday, 24th July, 2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Re: FIDE does what for Canada?

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post

P.S. FIDE had given the next Grand Prix Baku, Azerbaijan. Now they want to move it to Kazan, Russia. Topalov has just sent an open letter protesting against another tournament in Russia and he threatens to not attend. It cannot get worse than this.
              http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6543
              Thats because Topa is a whiny hypocrite... sure he has NO problem having his WC match in HIS own country... but have it in Russia and listen to him cry.

Comment

This is referring to the 2010/11 Candidate matches. The Grand Prix is over.

Comment

I read the blog. Actually, I visit for the photos and the chess. I liked the ones of Bardot and Loren. Fabulous!! And before the days of the implants.

I was in show business when Bardot's first film hit the big screen. It was called "And God Created Woman" with Bardot and Curt Jurgens. Directed by Roger Vadim whom, if I recall correctly, Bardot went on to marry. It would have hit the theatre in Canada around 1957 or 58. I can't recall which. I went to see it with some others before it was censored. Show business was an usher in a theater. Not bad for a summer job and after school.

Anyhow, to get back on topic, it must be nice for Russia to see two candidates which are probably acceptable to them. In this country it would be like an election where you could vote for whichever candidate you want as long as they were from the same political party.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6553

It is now official the FIDE candidates matches have moved location to Russia, eventhough a contract was signed with Azerbaijan.

Even by FIDE standards this is a remarkable volte-face by the leadership. Cynics may wonder if the decision has anything to do with the events surrounding the Russian Chess Federation's recent support for Illumzhinov in the forthcoming FIDE elections. In The Week in Chess Mark Crowther writes:

"The full implications of this decision are hard to read. It isn't difficult to see this as part of a wider pattern which took in the desperation of the Russian Federation to nominate Ilyumzhinov and the upcoming contract with 'Chess Lane' that seems likely to pass all FIDE Commercial activities to a Russian Company funded by the shadowy figures of the brothers Ziyavudine and Mohammed Magomedov from Dagestan and represented by their frontman David Kaplan."

Comment

The FIDE Presidential Board has decided to table to the AGM all discussion regarding the validity of the candidacy for the position of FIDE president. The decision was taken because of the conflict of interest caused by the fact that the actual president and his team are also candidate.

This means that it will be the General Assembly that will decide if Karpov's candidacy is valid.

Comment

Canada is not the only country which has great difficulties in making a decision.

Cyprus has send a letter to each candidates! Currently, ten members of the board are for Karpov and eight for Ilyumzhinov.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6581
                        Last edited by Jean Sasseville; Saturday, 7th August, 2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X