Kevin Spraggett takes one entire month to slam our new CFC president...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kevin Spraggett takes one entire month to slam our new CFC president...

Hi Steve:

Sorry - got carried away with my enthusiasm about a possible volunteer !!

Bob

Comment

Re: The 2011 Can. Open - Trillium Funds for an Ontario CO??

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
      it never hurts to try...trying to get a couple of grand from Trillium is different than $120,000.
      Actually, no, the application process is the same regardless of the amount.

When I applied last October, one of the adventures was obtaining the OCA incorporation papers, which were nowhere to be found. I obtained a copy from government records. Also, it was a challenge to obtain OCA financial statements for the last few years. Even getting the addresses of the OCA directors was an exercise in frustration, which took, as I remember, at least a dozen emails.

The application form askes many innocent questions, which can be quite hard to answer. I consulted a professional grant-writer. Though I completed the application myself, the grant-writer offered many suggestions on how to answer questions, and how to structure the application to meet Trillium priorities.

I believe applications can now be submitted online, but when I applied last October, the application and supporting documents came to about 30 pages, which had to be submitted in quadrupulate. So, 120 pages submitted; the postage was $12.59.

There was a subsequent submission of another two pages of supporting documents (in quadrupulate), and a lengthy interview. Trillium then wanted written quotes for proposed expenses, and three written references. The entire process, from initial downloading of the application to issuance of the cheque, took over seven months.

For Windsor and the OCA at the time, the big things were (1) with our commercial fundraising going nowhere, it provided recognition and psychological comfort. And yes, the grant money helped the budget. (2) OCA is now demonstrated to be in good standing with Trillium, with the blame for previous misadventures being squarely placed on Barry T.
      Last edited by John Coleman; Friday, 13th August, 2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

First of all I would like to say that I highly respect GM Spraggett's accomplishments in Chess. I read his blog every day and enjoy the articles and games there very much. I also respect the fact that he has issuses with the CFC in the past. However, his slamming of people like B. Gillanders and others who are trying their best to" right the wrongs" of the past shows a distinct lack of class and is unbecoming to a GM of his stature. We need people with a positive attitude to be able to move foward. All this negativity and constant ranting about the state of Canadian Chess is a drag and tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
          First of all I would like to say that I highly respect GM Spraggett's accomplishments in Chess. I read his blog every day and enjoy the articles and games there very much. I also respect the fact that he has issuses with the CFC in the past. However, his slamming of people like B. Gillanders and others who are trying their best to" right the wrongs" of the past shows a distinct lack of class and is unbecoming to a GM of his stature. We need people with a positive attitude to be able to move foward. All this negativity and constant ranting about the state of Canadian Chess is a drag and tiresome.
          I didn't read the article that way. What I got was this.
          1. Stated the history of the Canadian Open as a decent international event.
          2. States his opinon on the qualifications of the president.
          3. Points out the invitation to wannabe organizers to step up and submit bids which would effectively gut the event.

Personally, I thought it was rather restrained.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I didn't read the article that way. What I got was this.
            1. Stated the history of the Canadian Open as a decent international event.
            2. States his opinon on the qualifications of the president.
            3. Points out the invitation to wannabe organizers to step up and submit bids which would effectively gut the event.

Personally, I thought it was rather restrained.
            about #3: I don't think merely soliciting bids will 'gut the event' - there is no implication that any old bid (even the only bid) will be accepted. It is what it is: if nobody submits a bid there won't be an event. Simple.

In the case of the recent Closed, (which Jean Hebert has complained about I believe), a last-moment attempt to run the event was condemned when it turned out to have some (ahem) deficiencies... the valiant attempt to save the event notwithstanding, I think the events have to be able to stand on their own merits. If a formula isn't working, make a new formula...

Bob Armstrong has posted that he understands the most recent Can Open lost money for the organizers. If that is the case, it is unlikely any of the people behind that will rush to get involved again.

It takes a lot of work and preparation to stage a world-class event or even a Canada-class event of significant size and I don't see a large number of people doing any work.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              it is unlikely any of the people behind that will rush to get involved again.
              Strangely, I have heard rumors stating opposite. Probably that day was too hot, humid, and minds were boiling :D

Comment

Hi Kerry,
                I don't think I gave an opinion on the comments, only what I understood the comments to say.
                I gave some thought to playing in that last CO. The problems were:

1. The location. Couldn't imagine myself driving along the 401 and down the Don Valley Parkway for a 6 PM start. Also I was unsure of the parking. I need it close and want it cheap.
                2. The pairing system. I don't much like accelerated pairings much less hyper accelerated pairings.
                3. Probably the entry fee plus CFC dues was a barrier for some people.

Of course, if the CFC wants a CO they have a couple of choices.
                1. Run it themselves and show they can break even.
                2. Give it to a an organizer with a list of specs and pick up the losses if there are any.

I wouldn't expect people to take on the work of a CO unless they feel they can at least break even. More so for people who do not normally handle large events.

I can tell you from experience, Jean is little more than a minor "Nudnik" when it comes to heckling TD's. I've been heckled by real pros. I once soaked a letter in a sink full of water before I opened it. That guy was really cheesed off. That one turned out OK. Another guy put some kind of dead bug in the envelope. I don't know what they call them in his country. I know what I called it.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Hi Kerry,
                  I don't think I gave an opinion on the comments, only what I understood the comments to say.
                  I gave some thought to playing in that last CO. The problems were:

1. The location. Couldn't imagine myself driving along the 401 and down the Don Valley Parkway for a 6 PM start. Also I was unsure of the parking. I need it close and want it cheap.
                  2. The pairing system. I don't much like accelerated pairings much less hyper accelerated pairings.
                  3. Probably the entry fee plus CFC dues was a barrier for some people.

Of course, if the CFC wants a CO they have a couple of choices.
                  1. Run it themselves and show they can break even.
                  2. Give it to a an organizer with a list of specs and pick up the losses if there are any.

I wouldn't expect people to take on the work of a CO unless they feel they can at least break even. More so for people who do not normally handle large events.

I can tell you from experience, Jean is little more than a minor "Nudnik" when it comes to heckling TD's. I've been heckled by real pros. I once soaked a letter in a sink full of water before I opened it. That guy was really cheesed off. That one turned out OK. Another guy put some kind of dead bug in the envelope. I don't know what they call them in his country. I know what I called it.
                  I visited the CO on the Thursday evening and I took the GO train - it was a little bit of a walk from Union Station to the hotel, but not so bad... I wouldn't drive downtown and park there. I am not sure if that would have been an option for you (or for many people) but cost-wise it is clearly better than gas and parking I think.

I thought the entry fee was rather high considering it is an Open tournament - I would not have enjoyed being paired with someone with a 980 rating [any more than a GM would enjoy being paired against ME - I realize it works both ways] but after simply *visiting* for one evening (and the back and forth on the train etc) I believe it would have been exhausting to play in the tournament...
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                    This would be the same Kevin Spraggett that was going to play in the 2003 Canadian Open, but suddenly withdrew at the last minute? Where it was then explained that he allowed his name to be "lent" to the event to attract participants, and he never intended to participate?

Steve
                    Steve: Wanted to make sure you were really referring to 2003 in Kapuskasing and not 2001 in Sackville.

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve Douglas
                      This would be the same Kevin Spraggett that was going to play in the 2003 Canadian Open, but suddenly withdrew at the last minute? Where it was then explained that he allowed his name to be "lent" to the event to attract participants, and he never intended to participate?

Steve

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      Steve: Wanted to make sure you were really referring to 2003 in Kapuskasing and not 2001 in Sackville.
                      Or the 1994 North Bay International Open. Although the explanation there was slightly different.

Comment

Jonathan, you may remember the details of North Bay 1994 better than I. But both Derek Bessette and Ron Smith, the two organizers, fully expected Spraggett to show up and play. They are both honest men, and would never have considered the fraudulent use of Spraggett's name in order to try to draw more participants. Any organizer who would is clearly disreputable. I would be surprized if this has ever happened, that an organizer advertized that Spraggett would play while honestly knowing that he would not.

Comment

CFC Website - Lack of Can. Chess History - Volunteer

Hi Steve:

There is another thread on this board ( " Canadian Open and Closed Chess History ), where Fred McKim, CFC Treasurer, was investigating the lack of Canadian Chess History on the CFC Website. In the light of our postings on this thread, I posted in reply on his thread, the following:

Hi Fred:

There is another thread on this board also dealing with this issue of chess history on the CFC Website: " Kevin Spraggett takes one entire month to slam our new CFC president... ". The thread has departed a bit now from the original theme.

Anyway, a CFC member, Steve Douglas expressed keen interest in the fact that CFC did not have any history on his website ( the issue aroused him because he found out on that thread that Kevin Spraggett was 4 times Canadian Closed Champion, twice tied for first in the Closed and lost the playoffs, was 3 times sole Can. Open Champion, and 5 times Open Co-champion. He wondered why such an impressive record was not a fact made known by the CFC website ). The upshot of this was that I advised that Gerry had no time to research the history, or to post it. I inquired, after he hinted, whether he might be indicating a willingness to volunteer to do this task for the CFC. He said yes!

So I am sending you Steve's e-mail, so the Executive ( whomever is going to be charged with the website updating file ) can contact Steve, and see what he might be willing to do. I am copying Steve so he knows I've done this.

Bob

So I am expecting Fred should be following up with you soon by private e-mail, to pursue your willingness to volunteer and try to help the CFC do something on this issue.

Thanks for considering volunteering. Hope it all works out.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                            Jonathan, you may remember the details of North Bay 1994 better than I. But both Derek Bessette and Ron Smith, the two organizers, fully expected Spraggett to show up and play. They are both honest men, and would never have considered the fraudulent use of Spraggett's name in order to try to draw more participants. Any organizer who would is clearly disreputable. I would be surprized if this has ever happened, that an organizer advertized that Spraggett would play while honestly knowing that he would not.
                            Nor did I intend any such implication, Brad. Just that Spraggett's explanation for not showing up in 1994 was different from the lent them his name for advertising purposes. The comment was about Kevin Spraggett, not about any organizer of chess tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                            X