• Zoltan Sarosy, Once again...

I have the pleasure to say, "Happy Birthday!"

August 23, 1906 was his birth date!

Re: Zoltan Sarosy, Once again...

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post

Hi Ken,

I remember reading Chess Chat many years ago...can you fill in the blanks.

Thanks!

Larry

Comment

"...can you fill in the blanks."

I am not sure when that article appeared, but I can tell you he played competitive CC until 2-3 years ago via e-mail. He bought and learned his computer at age 95 because he wasn't sure he would be around for regular postal CC games to finish. I still remind him of that comment! He no longer plays because it takes too much out of him! He continues to read chess news on-line at the various chess websites, especially ChessBase.

He lives in an "assisted living centre" which means he lives alone but they do things like having meals prepared for residents in a common eating area. He "works out" in their gym regularly, he goes for walks every day, we meet at a local coffee shop once every month or two for a coffee. He has given a little and now uses a cane. He is quite sharp and we often discuss the currency markets and the local TSX stock market. He does his trading on-line and manages his own account! Would that I am as alert as he is when I get to 75, never mind 104! His memory is fantastic and we occasionally discuss his earlier life from 60-75 years ago, even one day recalling a particular bridge hand he had played back then! Sometimes when a name comes up, he will remember the person.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Zoltan!

Wilf Ferner

Comment

Happy Birthday Zoltan! I still recall your 100th birthday get together at Bayview Games. It was a great pleasure to meet you again! Your handshake was stronger than mine and your gaze sharp and clear. Glad to hear you are still doing well.

Comment

Zoltan Sarosy is 104! Daniel MacAdam, founder and editor of Maritime Chess News/Maritime Chess Chat/Canadian Chess Chat lived for 100 years, 5 months and 16 days. So, this is the longest life of Canadian and .Hungarian chess.
            Happy Birthday, Mr. Sarosy!

Comment

Zoltan asked me to post this for him...

"Dear Friends, who remembered my birthday and published their good wishes, accept my very best thanks!

Zoltan "

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post

I recall buying my first wooden chess set from Mr. Zoltan Sarosy in 1972! My Grade 5 teacher Mr. Fred Tierney at St. Joseph's Separate School (elementary) in Aurora taught us chess, bridge and backgammon ... you were invited to play a simultaneous exhibition against my class ... and you sold some equipment following the games ... I can tell you that it was quite a thrill for us kids to play against such a player as yourself !

As recently as last night I played a game with those wooden pieces with my six year old daughter. When I brought the pieces to the North Bay International Open quite a few years ago, no other than Boris Spassky stopped to admire the set and to enquire as to the origin of the pieces ...

I have always had a liking for names with a "Z" in them, and in particular that powerful first name of yours. My Hungarian wife and I somehow named managed to name all four of our children with a "Z" - Matthew Zoltan, Oliver Geza, Fiona Zsofia and Anna Krisztina !

Having travelled many times throughout Hungary, I would be most interested to hear from which area you came.

Boldog Szuletesnapot Zoltan!
                Egeszsegedre !
                Last edited by David Lawless; Tuesday, 24th August, 2010, 10:13 PM. Reason: Spelled a Hungarian word incorrectly - oops!

Comment

I believe that Zoltan had told me that he was from the Schaabe area. I hope that I spelt it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by David Lawless View Post
                    I recall buying my first wooden chess set from Mr. Zoltan Sarosy in 1972! My Grade 5 teacher Mr. Fred Tierney at St. Joseph's Separate School (elementary) in Aurora taught us chess, bridge and backgammon ... you were invited to play a simultaneous exhibition against my class ... and you sold some equipment following the games ... I can tell you that it was quite a thrill for us kids to play against such a player as yourself !

As recently as last night I played a game with those wooden pieces with my six year old daughter. When I brought the pieces to the North Bay International Open quite a few years ago, no other than Boris Spassky stopped to admire the set and to enquire as to the origin of the pieces ...

I have always had a liking for names with a "Z" in them, and in particular that powerful first name of yours. My Hungarian wife and I somehow named managed to name all four of our children with a "Z" - Matthew Zoltan, Oliver Geza, Fiona Zsofia and Anna Krisztina !

Having travelled many times throughout Hungary, I would be most interested to hear from which area you came.

Boldog Szuletesnapot Zoltan!
                    Egeszsegedre !

"Hello David,

Ken MacDonald had the amiability to notify me of your message in "Chess Talk". I am surprised and touched to learn that my aim in earning some money (much needed in those days) had deeper effect on young minds interested in our noble game. Of course, I am unable to remember with my fading memory the particulars of that event. I believe it was one of the sets I imported from France and quite surprised to hear about Boris Spassky's admiration.

Being married to a Hungarian girl must have caused you to choose the names for your children. I happen to have a grandson in Budapest with the name of Geza, but it was not my choice.

I was born in Budapest by mere coincidence. It was my father's first assignment as a military doctor in the Austrian army and the following 8 years were spent in garrisons of Herzegowina and Dalmatia under the rule of Austria-Hungary in those days.Thus I grew up bilingual right from the start. In 1914 the war broke out and with my mother we returned to Sopron to my grandparents. I consider this city as my home town. It was the largest city of Burgenland and except for the Hungarian officials (civil servants, teachers, post office clerks , etc.) who were sent to serve there, it was German speaking, the same dialect as the neighbouring Lower Austria. Thus in 1921 it should have been surrendered to Austria with the rest of Burgenland as terms of the Peace treaty of Trianon dictated. However, an attachment of the Hungarian army intervened and in the following diplomatic hassle a plebiscite decided in favour for Hungary.

My father joined the Hungarian army in 1918 and so we moved to Pecs and later to Budapest. I know most of the cities of Transdanubia (Dunantul) and made short visits to east of the Danube only at three occasions.

Feel free to write me by email zolusa@primus.ca, if you have some questions.

Wish you and your family all the best!

With chess greetings,

Zoltan"

Comment

Working...
                    X