Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windsor Tournaments in September

Hey guys,

CUPE Local 4580 (Graduate and Teaching Assistants at the University of Windsor), is sponsoring several chess tournaments in September starting next week.

There are tournaments on Sept. 11th, 18th, and 25th.
    These are 4 round tournaments, with G/60 time controls.

The entry fee is $10. Because of the low entry fee, there isn't much in the way of prize pool.

We currently have commitments from the following players:

Zoltan Kiraly (2214)
    Steve Demmery (2211)
    Vlad DrKulec (2190)
    Denton Cockburn (2141)
    Istvan Kiraly (2085)
    Laurentiu Grigorescu (2082)
    John Zoccano (1930)
    Brendon Lee (1869)
    Jesse Goron (1741)

There are likely to be a few more local players. I'm looking forward to some more players in the 1500-1800 range as well.

Info will be up on http://www.windsorchess.ca later today.

You can also leave a message here if you have any questions for me.

Denton Cockburn
    Last edited by Denton Cockburn; Wednesday, 8th September, 2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: updated list of pre-registered players

Re: Windsor Tournaments in September

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    Hey guys,

CUPE Local 4580 (Graduate and Teaching Assistants), is sponsoring several chess tournaments in September starting next week.

There are tournaments on Sept. 11th, 18th, and 25th.
    These are 4 round tournaments, with G/60 time controls.

The entry fee is $10. Because of the low entry fee, there isn't much in the way of prize pool.

We currently have commitments from the following players:

Zoltan Kiraly (2214)
    Denton Cockburn (2141)
    Vlad DrKulec (2116)
    Brendon Lee (1869)

There are likely to be a few more local players. I'm looking forward to some more players in the 1500-1800 range as well.

Info will be up on http://www.windsorchess.ca later today.

You can also leave a message here if you have any questions for me.

Denton Cockburn
    Hi Denton,

Thanks for posting here...please give us the pleasure of hearing abut the results....no results = no posts...hope we understand each other :)

Larry

Comment

LOL. Yep, we'll post results.

We're hoping to have more tournaments down this way. I've been told that Windsor used to a be a decent sized chess presence.

The more strong players we can get, the more we can look to make it more enticing (bigger prize pools for example).

Comment

Can you tell me the address of the playing room?

Comment

This link is probably more effective:
          http://www.windsorchess.ca/ad100911.htm

It includes info about the tournaments, as well as a map :)

Let me know if you're planning to attend (I'll update my list above).
          Last edited by Denton Cockburn; Saturday, 4th September, 2010, 12:20 AM.

Comment

OK, so now I have a 1741 planning to play this Saturday.

Don't forget there is also a junior section if you have a child you'd like to bring.

Comment

The tournament's looking even stronger now.

It seems at least 2 strong players from London will be heading down here for Saturday 11th.

That gives us at least 7 players over 2000 :)

Comment

One bit of advice for the out of towners and the locals who haven't played at Erie Hall yet, the access to the parking lot on Sunset is blocked because of construction but they have created a temporary entrance off Wyandotte. It is not obvious from the street but it is there, just look for it.

The easiest way to get there for people coming off the 401 is to take the Huron Church road exit and head towards the Ambassador bridge. Just before the bridge get in the right lane on Patricia Avenue for local traffic at which point you will run into some construction signs and a road closed except to local traffic sign at Wyandotte Street. Turn right past the sign (you might have to drive in the left lane so be careful) and Sunset will be fenced off for construction but then you can hang a left into the parking lot across the temporary entrance (some tar paving to ramp up to the sidewalk and into the lot). There are usually lots of spots there on the weekend.

If the construction situation has changed and you can't park in the designated lot there are other lots. Look for one with the gate up. Those are free. There is a big lot on University Avenue by Assumption Church and the CAW student centre which says $3 parking (it used to be $1 when I attended) but it won`t be attended and parking is free on weekends but then you will have to walk across the somewhat small campus to get to Erie Hall.

http://web4.uwindsor.ca/campusmap

http://cronus.uwindsor.ca/units/pac/..._map_dec08.pdf
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 8th September, 2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  One bit of advice for the out of towners and the locals who haven't played at Erie Hall yet, the access to the parking lot on Sunset is blocked because of construction but they have created a temporary entrance off Wyandotte. It is not obvious from the street but it is there, just look for it.

The easiest way to get there for people coming off the 401 is to take the Huron Church road exit and head towards the Ambassador bridge. Just before the bridge get in the right lane on Patricia Avenue for local traffic at which point you will run into some construction signs and a road closed except to local traffic sign at Wyandotte Street. Turn right past the sign (you might have to drive in the left lane so be careful) and Sunset will be fenced off for construction but then you can hang a left into the parking lot across the temporary entrance (some tar paving to ramp up to the sidewalk and into the lot). There are usually lots of spots there on the weekend.

If the construction situation has changed and you can't park in the designated lot there are other lots. Look for one with the gate up. Those are free. There is a big lot on University Avenue by Assumption Church and the CAW student centre which says $3 parking (it used to be $1 when I attended) but it won`t be attended and parking is free on weekends but then you will have to walk across the somewhat small campus to get to Erie Hall.

http://web4.uwindsor.ca/campusmap

http://cronus.uwindsor.ca/units/pac/..._map_dec08.pdf
                  The construction is all done!!

There should be no problem for everyone to park in Lot D.

Comment

Cool. It was still blocked as of very early this week. So Sunset is all done and the barriers are down... It will make it easier to get to the fast food along Wyandotte.

Comment

Cool. It was still blocked as of very early this week. So Sunset is all done and the barriers are down... It will make it easier to get to the fast food along Wyandotte.
                      Yeah, they made sure to finish it in time for school to start.
                      The road is all nicely paved over as if nothing had happened.

Comment

Lot D was closed but the lot across the street from Erie Hall behind the Odette business building (where I used to teach as a lecturer many years ago) which is marked "bookstore parking" was open.

Traditionally Lot D's gate has been open on weekends but no one got the memo that the access from Wyandotte had been removed.

Is next week's Windsor tournament cancelled in favour of the London tournament directed and organized by Steve Demmery? If so, announcements on Chesstalk and the CFC need to be updated to reflect the new plan.

Comment

Lot D was closed but the lot across the street from Erie Hall behind the Odette business building (where I used to teach as a lecturer many years ago) which is marked "bookstore parking" was open.

Traditionally Lot D's gate has been open on weekends but no one got the memo that the access from Wyandotte had been removed.

Is next week's Windsor tournament cancelled in favour of the London tournament directed and organized by Steve Demmery? If so, announcements on Chesstalk and the CFC need to be updated to reflect the new plan.
                          Yeah, I'll officially cancel the tournament this Saturday. The room is still booked though, so if someone would like to have a tournament (so if enough kids tell John Coleman that they want to play), then the room can be used.

Comment

Results please?

Comment

From the Windsor chess website www.windsorchess.ca

September 11 tournament

There was a tie in the very strong top section, with Vlad Drkulec and Denton Cockburn both scoring 3 points. This should give Vlad a new record high rating after his stellar performance at the Toronto Labour Day Open (he gained 76 points there). The odd number of players did make for a long day though, as we tried to ensure everyone got in 4 games.

Brendon Lee seriously performed better than his rating. He managed to finish with a whopping 2218 performance rating, scoring a win against Steve Demmery from London, who blundered a winning position in time trouble. Brendon's looking at gaining over 80 points from this tourney!

In the B section Herb Alice and Joseph Zhou split first with 2.5/4. Joseph picked up a huge amount of rating points. He may even break the 1600 mark, or come close to it. He had also picked up some points when in he played in the NAYCC. So he's definitely in form. We definitely would like to welcome Herb to tournament chess. Tying for first is definitely a good way to introduce yourself. Herb's only loss in the tournament was to Melissa Lee in the final round.

In the Juniors section, Michael O'Neil won his first tournament. He scored a impressive 3.5/4. I think Michael has placed in the top 3 in all tournaments he's played all summer. If he keeps up his level of performance, he'll be competing with the B section players pretty soon. Minya Bai came second with a pretty good 3/4 (!). She also will pick up some rating points. Minya has been doing very well in her tournaments as well this summer. She's played well against strong players like Joshua Myers and Hanyuan Ye

Comment

Working...
                              X