МОНРЕАЛЬ-2008: СНАРУЖИ И ИЗНУТРИ -- Montreal International.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• МОНРЕАЛЬ-2008: СНАРУЖИ И ИЗНУТРИ -- Montreal International.

If you read Russian... here is a long report on the Montreal Invitational

http://www.chesspro.ru/_events/2008/monreal.html

by Kirill Berdnikov. Not by Kiril the Pawn, nor by Yves Ber (who has a great name, except that it is too short)

and even if you don't read Russian, there are lots of great photos. When referring to the Geodesic Dome (of Expo 67 fame), Kirill calls the inventor Richard Fuller, not Buckminster Fuller.

Re: МОНРЕАЛЬ-2008: СНАРУЖИ И ИЗНУТРИ -- Montreal International.

This is the caption on the courthouse steps scene:

Где-то в Америке...» - дубль пять! Мотор! Начали!

?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
      This is the caption on the courthouse steps scene:

Где-то в Америке...» - дубль пять! Мотор! Начали!

?
      Literally, it means "Somewhere in America: double-five [55?]! Motor [or perhaps Ignition!]! They're off!"

Is perhaps 55 a famous number in some sport? In hockey it would be a defenceman's number. But I'm guessing motorsport.

Comment

Re: МОНРЕАЛЬ-2008:

Хорошо, хорошо. :D

(OK, that' s it. I've enhausted my Russian vocabulary.)
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Click on the following for a (rough) translation of the article (with all the photos and captions):

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Comment

55 mph?

Maybe some sarcastic comment from The Cold War when the USA imposed a 55 mph speed limit across the country to help deal with the oil/gas shortage in the early 80s?

Comment

Re: 55 mph?

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
              55 mph speed limit
              Good guess, but reading the paragraph before the photo, it discusses Montreal being active in the world of films, and that it can function not only as Hollywood North, but also as Paris West, thus saving film producers megabux. So maybe my translation should have read: Somewhere in America: Lights, Camera, Action!

Comment

Re: 55 mph?

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                Good guess, but reading the paragraph before the photo, it discusses Montreal being active in the world of films, and that it can function not only as Hollywood North, but also as Paris West, thus saving film producers megabux. So maybe my translation should have read: Somewhere in America: Lights, Camera, Action!
                Literally yes.
                Dubl pet - is only for a rhyme, I think.

Comment

Egis,

Maybe it's two 500-watt floodlights.

Or maybe it's Cockney rhyming slang
                  Doubl' pyat'
                  Roubl' mat'
                  "We only do it for the money".

Grin.

Comment

Thank you Hugh for the nice link.

Beautiful pictures, nice text.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      Egis,

Maybe it's two 500-watt floodlights.

Or maybe it's Cockney rhyming slang
                      Doubl' pyat'
                      Roubl' mat'
                      "We only do it for the money".

Grin.
                      The best thing is to ask the author why he's chosen пять а не два. Albeit my literature teacher thought that the masterpiece's interpretation is not the author's business :D

Comment

If it has something to do with five being the round-time then nachally/let's go would make sense. Some (time zone) in America?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Day View Post
                          If it has something to do with five being the round-time then nachally/let's go would make sense. Some (time zone) in America?
                          Montreal when on EST is GMT - 5 hours. You in To. can find that stamped on the Delivery-date: header of all your emails: -0500.

A bit of a stretch, but Cockney rhyming slang must cede any hint of reasonabilitiness in your esteemed favour. We launch a high-five in your general direction.

Comment

Jonathan's many years of reading Russian have not let him down. The expression Дубль пять! Мотор! Начали! comes from the film production industry and the idiomatic translation is indeed Lights! Camera! Action!

Comment

Gentlemen! I most appreciate your attention paid on my report about Montreal tournament. Thank you so much!

This translation in English - Light! Camera! Action! - is absolutely correct. They say in Russian: Double # ! (a double means a number of repeating, for this jock no any matter 5 or 25) Motor! Let’s start!

As for Fuller, in Russian literature sometimes he called like Richard by the first part of his name. Anyhow I am very grateful to you for your discussing, it is a great pleasure to know that the article is interested not only for the Russian readers.
                              Last edited by Kirill Berdnikov; Sunday, 12th October, 2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X