Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympiad Team Donations...

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Les Bunning (CFC Legal Counsel) was going to handle the appeal/rebuttal to the ruling. He should just about now be getting back from two weeks vacation (bad timing or what).

Bob Gillanders (CFC President) has suspended taxable receipts until we get a better handle on the situation. I'm hoping that Les can advise us we can continue to issue receipts for Olympic donations (at least until the date of the "proposed" annulment), when he returns.

I was unaware of this at all! Regardless, my offer stands.

Comment

Re: Olympiad Team Donations...

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

We are looking for education case studies to help our cause, especially cases involving adults, as CRA doesn't seem to think education is applicable to those over 21. I am collecting these, in case they can be of use to Les.
      Agree with them and then give the average age of the two Canada Chess Olympiad teams as a reason to continue????

It appears mean-spirited to say that education stops at a certain age. Certainly it isn't "politically correct", as "mature students" continue to enroll in institutions of higher education. I think that the onus should be on the government to prove their contention, especially given the 1973 precedent. And I don't think they can. So my hope is that the hearing is before an impartial board, as the Tariff Board was to us when we got the 25% duty on chess clocks removed.

If it can be educational for a child who learns to play at age 4 for 17 years, then what about a Chigorin or a Frank Anderson who learned to play at 16? 16 + 17 = 33. All the Canadian Olympiad players are younger than that, eh? If education for over-21s were essentially different from 17-year-olds, they wouldn't all be together in the same classes in colleges and universities. Sauce for the goose ....

Suggests a motto finally for the CFC:
      "A Lifetime of Education".

If this goes pear-shaped, there is the amusing spectre of a CMA-like (youth orientated) organization being eligible for charitable status, but the CFC not.

If the CFC wants to open a "second front" on this, how about presenting group photos of CYCC participants? If chess is just a "game" then why are no CYCC kids obese? You'd probably want to compare and contrast photos of obese kids involved in other "games". The current admin. is big on giving money to parents who have active kids.

Maybe we need a (political) Chess Party to legislate for chess to be recognized as a sport--since lobbying has failed many times since 1948. Tax-based refunds for political party donations are far more comprehensive than charitable donation receipts ever were. Trouble is, you'd have to be organized nationally. Can 300+ chess players flap their wings in unison?

"Just a few random thoughts."

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
        When I go to the www.chess.ca website, I see only $10,000 approximately donated to date. Recalling that the FQE gave $2,000, that seems kind of poor!

I have occasionally seen comments on CT (quite some time ago) about some of the former chess "stars" who have done well in life. How do we get them to donate?

I will make an offer...

If 3 individuals will donate $1,000 each, I will do the same. All I ask is that Gerry L. say that 3 have done so after today (old donations do not count and organizations do not count). This would add $4,000 in a hurry if some of the "well-off" members or former members of our chess community step forward.

There is not much time remaining.
        Ken, is this very generous offer still on the table! :)

Comment

Olympiad Team Donations...

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          Ken, is this very generous offer still on the table! :)
          Definitely! There is already one person who is willing to match this if we get two others.

We only need two more before this weekend and tax receipts will be issued!

I don't need to know who you are, simply call Gerry and he will confirm that it is done without name(s).

Comment

I am so glad to hear that your offer could bear fruit Ken! Please help our teams chesstalkers!

Finally on line. Thank goodness.

The teams are in great spirits. The hotel is great and the food is as good as any in the past 24 years. The bar is expensive but that's probably a good thing.

I ended up with the first sector for the women, and sharing part of the load in the first open sector, which is twice the size. We are playing in the tennis centre in 2 halls. The first sectors for men and women are together. I have yet to set foot in the big hall where Canada has been thus far.

Bedtime. More as can.

Comment

Working...
            X