Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2...Nf6 in the Modern

Originally posted by David McTavish View Post
    Hey Patrick, tracked down this idea to Adorjan, whom claims was stolen by Leko ( took off an earlier rheumatic kramnik i think -- do your own database search, or check the first Black Is OK by Adorjan), whom made a pact w/ the devil (Andres being God, or possibly a close relative according to one of his fulltime psychiatrists) to become world champ( that almost worked). So its name is the Norwegian Variatrion of the Modern, but seems to have been borne in Budapest.Magnus has assayed this before; can't think of any rational reason why he cracked this can of worms against Mickey, known as one of the most diligent, if not overly conservative, former elites.Magnus has pretty much got away w/ any opening at the top, including suspicious kings gambits and dragons, and in London Classic 2010 vs Mickey, played poorly on the w side of a Nimzo allowing a vicious attack, but there Adams did not take up the gauntlet.. Magnus's tactical genius persuaded him not to in that one..I'd like to rename this sideline the Precipice Variation, where even the world's #1, like Icarus, flew to close to the sun...or fell off a cliff.. and could not fly..

The move 2...Nf6 used to be analyzed in a magazine that dealt with oddball openings called "RandSpringer" from Germany. They even published a small booklet on it. It was referred to even then as from Norway. Memory a little weak on this, but probably goes back 10 or more years.

Comment

Re: 2...Nf6 in the Modern

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      The move 2...Nf6 used to be analyzed in a magazine that dealt with oddball openings called "RandSpringer" from Germany. They even published a small booklet on it. It was referred to even then as from Norway. Memory a little weak on this, but probably goes back 10 or more years.
      Well if it's called the Norwegian variation I guess that might help to explain why Carlsen decided to go in for it while representing his country.

Is there such a thing as the Canadian variation? Maybe we could petition for Mark to try it against Topalov tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X