Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon

Thomas made it!

While this only speculations, I would not be surprised that in the team meeting, Thomas had the choice of either white on board 1 or black on board 2. If this is the case, he has proven that he is a great team player and he cares greatly about representing Canada.

Once the Olympiads are over, I look forward to read Mark Bluvshtein's blog and get the view from the inside.

Again, congratulations to you Thomas!

Re: GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon

Congratulations to Thomas! Another Grandmaster for Canada. Lets see: Yanofsky, Suttles, Biyiasis, Spraggett, Lesiege, Bluvshtein, Charbonneau, Roussel-Roozmon. 4 from Quebec (and 4 of the last 5) I wonder why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sasseville View Post
      Thomas made it!

While this only speculations, I would not be surprised that in the team meeting, Thomas had the choice of either white on board 1 or black on board 2. If this is the case, he has proven that he is a great team player and he cares greatly about representing Canada.

Once the Olympiads are over, I look forward to read Mark Bluvshtein's blog and get the view from the inside.

Again, congratulations to you Thomas!
      Really a terrific result and a well deserved title! But its still not over the last round will be against a team with very similar rating average to Canada-Montenegro. Hopefully, the guys can have a positive finish.

Comment

You should ask Maclean's, they seem to know everything about Quebec:D

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          Congratulations to Thomas! Another Grandmaster for Canada. Lets see: Yanofsky, Suttles, Biyiasis, Spraggett, Lesiege, Bluvshtein, Charbonneau, Roussel-Roozmon. 4 from Quebec (and 4 of the last 5) I wonder why that is?
          Quebec has the FQE and the other provinces have the CFC.

This is nothing new. Quebec always had many relatively unknown, under rated players.

Don't ask because if I tell you names they won't be unknown anymore.

On the other hand, maybe it was Thomas' teacher who is a correspondence chess Grandmaster.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Ontario has a few young IMs (Leonid, Artiom and Nikolay for example). It is a question of time that Ontario gets a new GM.

There appears to be the same situation in the West too.

Comment

I believe chess is part of the elementary school curiculum in Quebec--- this certainly promotes chess to potential players.

Congrats to the latest Canadian GM!

Comment

Fantastic!
                A great result.
                I met Thomas in and around the CYCC and Open in 2007. A class act. It was only a matter of time, but....He did it!:D

Comment

Re : GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon

Another grandmaster living in the region of Montreal!
                  There are now 6 grandmasters living in this region... But half of them don't want to play anymore :(

Congratulations!

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong, but has there never been a canadian-born GM from outside quebec?

any young candidates out there right now?
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Felix wrote:

Another grandmaster living in the region of Montreal!
                      There are now 6 grandmasters living in this region... But half of them don't want to play anymore
                      Besides Thomas, Alexandre Lesiège is the only Canadian-born OTB GM living in the Montreal area. Kevin has been in Portugal for several years; Pascal has been working in New York for a few years. Jean Hébert is a postal GM.

Bator Sambuev and Anton Kovalyov now have Montreal addresses.

So - we have Thomas, Alex, Bator, and Anton. Who are the other two in the Montreal area? Are you counting Jean? Only one (of the five mentioned) is inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                        correct me if i'm wrong, but has there never been a canadian-born GM from outside quebec?

any young candidates out there right now?
                        Correct.

Yanofsky: Poland
                        Suttles: USA
                        Biyiasis: Greece

Comment

The other two are Peng Xiaomin and Qin Kanying (a very strong couple!), both living and Montreal. They do teach to a lot of kids, but don't want to play in any tournament...

Comment

Sorry, double post...

Comment

Re : Re: GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                              And considering the current contenders it is not likely to happen any time soon. Maybe Eric Hansen will prove me wrong, assuming he is canadian born. The successes of the last three Quebec produced GM (Lesiège, Charbonneau and now Thomas) is easily explainable: good talent, dedication and long term private coaching (possible thanks to strong parental support). Kevin Spraggett is a special case: incredible work ethics and dedication.

Comment

Working...
                              X