Olympiad wrapup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad wrapup

Ukraine (seeded 2nd) won the event - drawing with Israel in round 11. The Russia #1 team (seeded 1st) took second. Hungary took 3rd on tiebreak. Defending champions Armenia (seeded 6th) finished 7th.

Canada finished 37th (seeded 53rd).

The board prizes (unofficial):
    1) Vassily Ivanchuk (Ukraine).
    2) Emil Sutovsky (Israel).
    3) Vitaly Teterev (Belarus).
    4) Sergey Karjakin (Russia 1).
    5) Sebastien Feller (France).

Ladies: Russia 1, China, and Georgia.

Canada finished 67th (seeded 58th).

Lots of reports, crosstables, etc. at:

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html
    http://www.chess-results.com

Re: Olympiad wrapup

Congratulation to the Canadian teams with special mention:
    1) Thomas R-R's stellar performance earning him his GM title
    2) Mark's solid results on board one including his spectacular win over Topalov
    3) the Men's team as a whole for playing well above their seeding.
    Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Congratulation to the Canadian teams with special mention:
      1) Thomas R-R's stellar performance earning him his GM title
      2) Mark's solid results on board one including his spectacular win over Topalov
      3) the Men's team as a whole for playing well above their seeding.
      Great stuff.
      Men's team with 10th prize in their category http://www.chess-results.com/tnr3679...0&m=-1&wi=1000

Comment

Re : Olympiad wrapup

Congratulations to Orlova Yelizaveta for her WCM title and to Yuanling Yuan for her solid performance (including a win against an IM) :)
        Last edited by Felix Dumont; Sunday, 3rd October, 2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Both teams fought hard and made good results.

It was a pleasure watching the games.

Comment

Congrats to Vassily, Emil, and Teterev.
            Israel took home the copper, not hungry.

Comment

You're right about Israel - either I mis-read the report, or they changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                You're right about Israel - either I mis-read the report, or they changed it.
                They erred on horowitzian point-count tie break on uber/ugra-site superfacie; a complicated mess, after using the obvious game points for pairings.Sonnenberg contorted,immortalized:)

Comment

Congratulations to the men's team for finishing a respectable 37th place and losing only two matches and congratulations for good performances by Mark Bluvshtein and Thomas Roussel-Roozman (and getting the GM title!) and congratulaitons to Yuanling Yuan for an excellent performance on board one and to Yuanling and Dina for leading the women's team with good performances on boards one and two.

Comment

. .
                    Last edited by Forest-Mingjia Guo; Friday, 13th March, 2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Really, a very impressive job done by the teams. The men's team was especially impressive with draws against the powerful Bulgaria and Croatia. Lets also not forget that they beat Denmark who is a stronger team than Canada on paper.
                      Once again congratulations go to Thomas for achieving the coveted GM title and to Mark for slaying a monster! :)
                      IM Leonid Gerzhoy had a weak start but he managed to make an impressive comeback and essentially retained his starting rating. I have no doubt that Leonid will be the next Canadian GM as long as he keeps on trying!
                      Nikolay and Artiom had some good results as well. Its good to see that Canada has quite a bit of talent for the upcoming years and of course we in the west are looking forward to add to this talent in future olympiads!

And finally lets not forget the women's team with Yuanling Yuan who came very close to the WGM norm, but no need to worry as I am sure that it will come shortly.

Vlad Rekhson

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
                        Lets also not forget that they beat Denmark who is a stronger team than Canada on paper.
                        Denmark won their last 3 matches to finish 19th. Canada only got 2 points from 6 in the last 3 matches.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          Denmark won their last 3 matches to finish 19th. Canada only got 2 points from 6 in the last 3 matches.
                          But the complete story would have to include who they played in the last 3 rounds and who Canada played... I think we were extremely well represented by players and officials who gave it their all (and then some). Bravo, I say.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

An intelligent review from Mark Bluvshtein:

http://markbluvshtein.wordpress.com/

"I felt like I played some “fun chess”, as opposed to “scared chess”. A lot of interesting and creative ideas in all the games. It was enjoyable to play. Not too much grinding down in the endgames as was the case in a lot of previous tournaments. I was also happy to play all 11 games. This was my goal from the beginning. Burning out was a serious concern, but I think my last round game shows that was not the case. It is always nice to finish a tournament off in a good way. Enough about me though.

Thomas had one of the best performances of his career. He was rock solid and undefeated, scoring a superb 7/10 on 2nd board. He was Mr. consistency. We had some trouble playing black on every board except for the second one. Thomas will be rated 2500 after this tournament.
                            Thomas and I were an interesting duo. I play a lot more risky and he plays a lot more peaceful chess. For the two of us on the top two boards, we never lost a “mini-match” against any team. In fact, we scored 1.5/2 against Topalov and Cheparinov! It was really thanks to Thomas not losing games though…

Leonid showed that he was a finisher after a tough start which included 3 consecutive losses. He went on a good streak that meant that he would play the last 6 games. He started playing rock solid and finished at approximately his own rating strength. Leonid finished with 4.5/9.

Artiom had a tough finish, losing his last 2 games. Artiom played the least games on the team, playing in only 6 of the matches. Artiom had a good run in the beginning, showing that he can beat weaker players consistently. He won the match against Mongolia for us, which was big. He finished the event with 3/6.

Nikolay only drew 1 game in the tournament. He took some risks which paid off sometimes, but sometimes they didn’t. He came up huge against Denmark and Croatia. This was great to see. He finished with 4.5/8.

Towards the end of the tournament, it was clear that the top 3 boards were playing more solid chess. It was very unfortunate that Artiom and Nikolay lost a lot of games on last boards in the end of the event. They both gained very valuable experience though, which will be very important in tournaments to come. I look forward to seeing them progress.

The man behind the scenes was FM Yuri Ochkoos. The job of the captain is to take care of everything except for the actual playing of chess. Yuri did exactly that. He was the architect behind all of the lineups. I feel like Yuri was acting differently from previous captains in that it was all about the team. It was not about people’s personal feelings. It was about scoring the best in every single round. The idea of benching players 2 games in a row is something I haven’t seen practiced before, but Yuri had no problems doing this. After 6 rounds, there was a very serious fear of Leonid just being unable to get back into it. In the last 5 rounds, he played exceptional chess. Whatever Yuri told Leonid worked. Yuri also did the small things. After my win against Topalov, Yuri bought champagne to celebrate. He maintained a good feel on the team throughout the event. He tries to always stay cheery. It’s contagious. It was clear that in the end of the day he would have the final say on lineups. Yuri also kept Thomas exceptionally calm in the days when a GM title was at stake."

Comment

GOOD JOB YURI !!!
                              Our team was so lucky to have you as the captain!
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X