Crushing the Caro Kann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crushing the Caro Kann

Yes, I (re)discovered by searching the CFC discussion board that the olympic team sizes (and scoring system) were changed for the last Olympiad too:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...t=Olympic+team
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Yes, I (re)discovered by searching the CFC discussion board that the olympic team sizes (and scoring system) were changed for the last Olympiad too:
      Do you look at performance ratings as an indication of how the players performed in relation to their own strength and rating?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

i agree with duncan smith, EVERYONE is underrated. 200 RATING POINTS FOR ALL
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
          i agree with duncan smith, EVERYONE is underrated. 200 RATING POINTS FOR ALL
          It does really matter how many points you add to Canadian ratings. If adding 200 or 1000 points will get another 1,000 members then why not?

What matters is how the players stack up against international competition.

Your rating is your weight. Either your performance rating in international play can equal or beat your weight, or it can't.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well, Duncan, I was noticing in the Friday Globe and Mail (Oct. 22nd), in your sport curling, the Olympic womens silver medalist Cheryl Bernard and her Silver medal are featured. You probably recall how it got to be a silver rather than a gold.

Silver in the Olympics isn't really that bad, is it Duncan? When you get right down to it bronze isn't too bad either. It's not gold but it really isn't bad.

Anyhow, she's shopping for a sponsor. It seems a sponsor for the 2011 season "fell through". Now, I have no idea what "fell through" means but as a result, the newspaper article says her rink will appear on a trio of donated billboards with the announcement "TEAM SPONSORS WANTED ... Hurry Hard!".

Page B4 in my paper.

I guess times are hard all over.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              LOL!!!! Are you talking about the 1-4-1 New Jersey Devils that are at the bottom of their conference.... and division?
              edmonton oilers started last season 5-2-1 so what's your point tubs
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                This line's bad, I'm surprised a 2300 correspondence player would fall into such a well known trap if he plays the caro-kann extensively.
                He fell into it because his OTB strength is more like 1800.

The next time someone falls into the Noah's Ark Trap against me, I'm going to publish the game under the title "Crushing the Ruy Lopez."
                Last edited by Dan Scoones; Saturday, 23rd October, 2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Do you look at performance ratings as an indication of how the players performed in relation to their own strength and rating?
                  As I posted earlier, I looked at my own (Chessbase calculated, based on regular/Active CFC ratings) performance rating with the Caro as Black, and took it heavily into consideration appraising my performance with the defence so far. When regarding the Caro as a big success so far for me, I also took into account whether I was much worse in any of my games out of this opening, which I actually haven't been so far, in something like 20+ games. However I've yet to be tested in those opening lines that I fear the most.

In my Chessbase provided calculations I didn't include games with players below 1800 (about 400+ points below my own rating at least, on average), since it seems they actually can affect my performance rating negatively in Chessbase's calculations, when lumped in with games against better opponents, even if I won all those games (which I did).

As for your disagreement about our teams' FIDE performance ratings with Duncan, if the goal is seen as striving for norms then you have a point. Otherwise it seems to me Duncan has valid points about some of the opposition being under- or un- rated. I did notice that in the link from Gerry that I provided earlier, the new FIDE ratings of most team members did improve on the old ones, to varying degrees. However I am not a guru when it comes to evaluating the significance of performance ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                    He fell into it because his OTB strength is more like 1800.

The next time someone falls into the Noah's Ark Trap against me, I'm going to publish the game under the title "Crushing the Ruy Lopez."
                    Short might take exception to being called an 1800 player by you. His blunder was that bad, but still, you're being a bit harsh.

If you're playing the same opening all the time, like your post suggests, your opponents are having an easy time preparing for you.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

As for your disagreement about our teams' FIDE performance ratings with Duncan, ...
                      I'm not interested in discussing Duncan with you.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Short might take exception to being called an 1800 player by you. His blunder was that bad, but still, you're being a bit harsh.
                        We're not talking about Nigel Short, who has an established OTB rating in the 2600s. We're talking about your opponent, who has a provisional OTB rating of 1698.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
                          We're not talking about Nigel Short, who has an established OTB rating in the 2600s. We're talking about your opponent, who has a provisional OTB rating of 1698.
                          Certainly we are talking about Short. Bindi was talking about falling into traps, I mentioned Short falling into a trap and then you jumped in. Short played like an 1800 player.

White taking the pawn on f4 in the Kings Gambit is almost thematic. What does he do? He took the pawn at c4 instead, which was completely losing.

That game got published in the Toronto Star as I recall.

Might I make a suggestion, sonny? If you want to catch a fish you have to use a bit of bait.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'm not interested in discussing Duncan with you.
                            I was talking about how I viewed the performance ratings for the teams, which is related to other posts in this thread (including your original one to me about the teams being third rate), besides to what you asked me last (about performance ratings). I ignored any unpleasant aspects of this thread that you might be refering to. Give me the benefit of the doubt, please.

Comment

I was talking about how I viewed the performance ratings for the teams, which is related to other posts in this thread (including your original one to me about the teams being third rate), besides to what you asked me last (about performance ratings). I ignored any unpleasant aspects of this thread that you might be refering to. Give me the benefit of the doubt, please.
                              Where did I tell you the teams were third rate. What I wrote was: "Canada is a third world chess power where the players appear to be generally over rated. "

The teams were representative of the chess scene.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well, I neglected to quote you word for word, but at least 'third rate' does seem similar to third world. A terrible slip on my part.

Comment

Working...
                                X