Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me the money

A message for the FQE Quebec Chess Federation:

I registered for the 2010 Quebec Open in the "Open Section" and thus paid my entry fee of what I believe to be 95$. I then realized I would much rather play in the "Invitational Section" of which I was completely eligible (FM Title). I have been in touch with Mr. Poulin on several occasions and heard no response in a very long time. In short, I would like my long overdue reimbursement of 95$ that I should not have had to pay to play in the Invitational section...please and thank you.

Re: Show me the money

I wonder if their reply will be the same one I got when I asked about the $100 I won in the SWOCL Gran Prix.

"Cheque's in the mail"...
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
      A message for the FQE Quebec Chess Federation:

I registered for the 2010 Quebec Open in the "Open Section" and thus paid my entry fee of what I believe to be 95$. I then realized I would much rather play in the "Invitational Section" of which I was completely eligible (FM Title). I have been in touch with Mr. Poulin on several occasions and heard no response in a very long time. In short, I would like my long overdue reimbursement of 95$ that I should not have had to pay to play in the Invitational section...please and thank you.
      Aman,

May I suggest you call the Quebec Federation at 514-252-3034. I know Marc was leaving on vacation right after the event...It probably simply slipped through the cracks.

Larry

Comment

Aman,
        Let’s straiten the facts here.
        First, your request was responded by the FQE and denied for reasons that we will explain in further details below. The fact that you don’t like the answer does not allow you to claim that your request was not being handled. We also responded to your mother a few months ago.

Despite your pretentions, you were not entitled to play the invitation section. As the name INVITATION says, this section was by invitation only. The FQE invited a number of foreign GM, FQE members with a FQE rating of 2250 +, and the champion of Québec Élite Tournament. As a good gesture, we also invited the members of the Olympic team and opened a few spots to young, norm seeking, CFC members and we used Chesstalk to advertise this. Based upon the replies we had, we selected a few of them and we invited those players. At that point, you were not part of the group that was invited. Later on, you asked to participate in the invitation section and we obliged to upgrade you to this section but in no way did we indicated that we would waive the fees, nor did you requested a refund at that time. Had you had done so, we would have simply say no, as our budget for funding the GM and CFC invitations was already overspent.
        I have to admit that the FQE feels that your request is a little out of place. First, you are not even a member of the Federation (and therefore the FQE has no obligations towards you). Second, we were under no obligation to accept your request to play in this section. Third, I don’t think that you are requesting that the CFC waive their fee towards your participation in the Canadian Open (150$ I believe). Participation in the Invitation section is a privilege, not a right and therefore, given the circumstances, the FQE feels totally entitled to maintain the participation fee, which we believe is fairly low in respect to the opportunity that was provided to you. We also regret that you chose to bring this personal issue on a public board, forcing us to make public the response that was already provided to you and your mother verbally.
        Last edited by Marc Poulin; Wednesday, 20th October, 2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

We also regret that you chose to bring this personal issue on a public board, forcing us to make public the response that was already provided to you and your mother verbally.
          First of all, my asking publically can merit simply a "we will discuss this privately" or something, i did not FORCE you to do anything, i stated my feelings, so please do relax.

Secondly, you are regretting my decision for me...? To clarify, the response made to myself and my mother was that I WAS entitled to this entry fee reimbursement, or I clearly wouldn't make this post out of thin air.

To refresh your memory, this is extracted from your post on July 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM "We also left a few spots open for norm seeking CFC members and those spots were attributed based on CFC ratings (hence the invitations to Mr. Calugar (2368), Martchenko (2382), Sapozhnikov(2438), Hambleton(2332); Mr Quin (2328 CFC and 2178 FQE) is a member of the FQE and therefore received special considerations as did Mr. Kraiouichkine and Mr. Modwal as FQE juniors )."

Despite your pretentions, you were not entitled to play the invitation section. As the name INVITATION says, this section was by invitation only.
          You used the term "hence the invitations to" and proceeded to list my name. For this reason I assumed I was invited...

Finally, for no reason would I demand my entry fee back from the Canadian Open because they did not formally "invite" me...I'm not sure how that pertains at all

Cheers.

Comment

Re : Re: Show me the money

To refresh your memory, this is extracted from your post on July 21st, 2010, 08:41 AM "We also left a few spots open for norm seeking CFC members and those spots were attributed based on CFC ratings (hence the invitations to Mr. Calugar (2368), Martchenko (2382), Sapozhnikov(2438), Hambleton(2332)...
            It would be interesting to know if Mr Calugar, Martchenko and Sapozhnikov paid entry fees. They seem to be put on the same level as Mr Hambleton...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Show me the money

Let’s be clearer for the benefit of Mr. Hébert.
              Mr. Calugar, Mr. Sapozhnikov and Mr. Martchenko did not pay an entry fee as they were invited by the FQE. They were selected amongst the candidates who had submitted a request to participate in due time. At the time the FQE made its decisions on who to invite, Mr Hambleton had registered himself in the open section and had pay its entry fee accordingly. Later on, Mr. Hambleton changed his mind and requested to play in the Invitation section. By then, all the “free” spots in the Invitation section we could grant in accordance with our budget had been awarded. Not being a FQE member with 2250+ rating, he was not entitled to an automatic spot in this section. We nonetheless accepted to upgrade Mr. Hambleton to the Invitation section.
              Mr. Hébert, I hope these explanations on the sequence of events explain why Mr. Hambleton’s case is different from the others.

Comment

Let’s be clearer for the benefit of Mr. Hébert.
                When faced with a monetary demand, I would assume you would prefer to make it clearer for the person who thinks you owe them money, rather than the audience. Interesting.

My point is that you included myself in the same sentence and grouping as Calugar, Sapozhnikov, and Martchenko when mentioning you extended an INVITATION to all of these players, myself included. If "invitation" did not mean free for me, then it had to have been made very clear. You mentioned that these players didn't pay a fee as they were invited by the FQE, and then proceed to state that I was invited alongside them. There is an inconsistency here that you seem content to continually oversee.

Instead of responding to Mr. Hebert's point, it would be more helpful if some of my issues were addressed. So far it seems as though a major inconsistency on the part of FQE and it's invitation system has resulted in a monetary misunderstanding, which is why I am requested my entry fee back.

You are clearly on this forum enough, I hope to hear it from you.

Comment

When faced with a monetary demand, I would assume you would prefer to make it clearer for the person who thinks you owe them money, rather than the audience. Interesting.
                  How so? He gave Jean Hebert basically the same answer he gave you: you were not an invited player, there was no budget for you, you were allowed to pay an entry and join the top section. He clarified it exactly the same for both of you.

I'm a bit unsure as to how budgetary factors come into play here - I presume the tournament has prize fund X, and adding one additional player without entry fee to the event does not change that, nor does it add any additional cost simply to give a free entry with no other payments. I'd be interested to understand this a bit more.

The only point that can be debated here is whether or not you were officially told that you were due a reimbursement (as you claim - I assume you are not taking a chesstalk post that you are interpreting a certain way as "official notification"). At some point, did someone directly tell you that "You will be allowed to play in the invitational section at no cost" ? If not, then it's tough luck for you, in my opinion, and I wouldn't worry about it as by making this public, I doubt you'll encounter the problem again as no sane organizer will touch you.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                    I doubt you'll encounter the problem again as no sane organizer will touch you.
                    other than vlad dobrich

LOL

U GET IT GUYS?

"touch"
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

LOL yup,
                      David, why don't you let Aman and Marc discuss this. There's no need for a non-playing chesstalker to interfere with their own interpretations of the situation and take sides. I mean... do you really think your two cents is all that necessary when you were obviously not present during their disagreement?
                      Shameless self-promotion on display here
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I doubt you'll encounter the problem again as no sane organizer will touch you.
                        Everything has to turn into judgment doesn't it :) It seems discussions or statements of feelings on this forum quickly turn into someone framed as the bad guy. A heated discussion is still a discussion. If something is not clear to me I have the right to ask it made clear.

You already are skipping to the part where no sane organizer will touch me? Harsh. The only downside to this is that I might not be able to participate in the ECC Ottosen Open, an unfortunate punishment I will have to deal with :(

Put it this way: You don't have a main course meal, instead you chose to just take sides.

As far as I can see it, I was listed as an "invited player" and all other invited players received a free entry. It would seem I am owed money in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                          David, why don't you let Aman and Marc discuss this. There's no need for a non-playing chesstalker to interfere with their own interpretations of the situation and take sides.
                          In fact, I played a rated game on Tuesday, a devastating refutation of the London attack against a player rated 1400, which I thought about posting for the theoretical and learning value for Gary Ruben. Do I now have the right to give my opinion on yet another situation where a highly rated player with a ridiculous sense of entitlement who posted their complaint publicly is being immature?

I mean... do you really think your two cents is all that necessary when you were obviously not present during their disagreement?
                          Uh, it's an internet forum. If he doesn't want people's two cents, he should pick up the phone and call the guy he has a problem with.

I was listed as an "invited player" and all other invited players received a free entry. It would seem I am owed money in this respect.
                          You do understand that different players receive different conditions for events, right? For example, Illescas and Kasparov were both invited players for major Linares tournaments, but Illescas would be laughed off the stage if he said "I am an invited player, just like Kasparov. Kasparov receives $100K to play in Linares. It would seem I am owed $100K as well."

Comment

Everything has to turn into judgment doesn't it :) It seems discussions or statements of feelings on this forum quickly turn into someone framed as the bad guy. A heated discussion is still a discussion. If something is not clear to me I have the right to ask it made clear.

You already are skipping to the part where no sane organizer will touch me? Harsh. The only downside to this is that I might not be able to participate in the ECC Ottosen Open, an unfortunate punishment I will have to deal with :(

Put it this way: You don't have a main course meal, instead you chose to just take sides.

As far as I can see it, I was listed as an "invited player" and all other invited players received a free entry. It would seem I am owed money in this respect.
                            By starting the thread on Chesstalk, you are implicitly inviting commentary from all and sundry (after all, this is a *forum*). Bindi also encountered a bit of blowback as a result of making very public what should have been a discussion between Vlad and him.

Just because social networking exists is not a valid reason to use it in every situation...

I will grant that you have been calm and reasonable and persistent; however, it seems the FQE and Marc are intransigent on this and you may as well chalk up the lesson learned and move on. It seems the FQE (and many other organizations) often make up the regulations in retrospect - that is convenient but not necessarily fair. They fail to see the value of customer service; in fact, I doubt "customer" is a fair description of their clientele. As always, "caveat emptor"
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                              In fact, I played a rated game on Tuesday, a devastating refutation of the London attack against a player rated 1400, which I thought about posting for the theoretical and learning value for Gary Ruben. Do I now have the right to give my opinion on yet another situation where a highly rated player with a ridiculous sense of entitlement who posted their complaint publicly is being immature?
                              Let me congratulate you on your stunning victory against such a high rated player. If I were still writing, editing and publishing a magazine, I'd annotate the game appropriately and publish it. Appropriately being the key word.

One of the top 10 rules of organizing is: Never annoy a PITA. Caress his ego and collect his dues.

PITA = Pain in the ass.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X