• Show
Clear All

Re: Show me the money

Engineering rules
    i rep back 3+

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Show me the money

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
      That's not what Jean meant. Guess you're too old for your own good. Btw, Juniors are not a race. What did you say your university degree is? You seem to have some privacy issues, has anyone ever filed a restraining order against you?
      You haven't played any chess in the past two years, and even before that, not much activity. I don't think your past expertise means anything. Just go ask Motorola.
      Bindi, perhaps you're not quite so witty and intelligent as you seem to think you are. David Ottosen didn't say that juniors are a "race." In fact, David didn't bring up the matter of race. You did, in the following post you wrote in response to a post by Jonathan Berry.

David, maybe you should ask for invitational fees next time you enter a tournament, it seems you're approaching GM strength in your games. Kerry, honestly I don't know what white old man have against young upstart juniors, I'm assuming that's what you and David are right? Granted, this is a chesstalk forum but does Aman's posts indicate he wants outside opinion from never-weres in the chess community? He just wants to make public an issue that he thinks he was treated unfairly by FQE. Taking sides in matters like these are so childish and inconsiderate. If you guys want drama in your lives, might I suggest Gossip Girl as a show to pass the time? It's filled with unneccessary drama from people who have too much time on their hands.
      I've 'bolded'/italicized the text to which I'm referring, just in case you're not very quick on the uptake.

What does David's or Kerry's race and age have to do with the matter being discussed in this thread? Please explain.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        What does David's or Kerry's race and age have to do with the matter being discussed in this thread? Please explain.

Hey, Peter, aren't you an old white guy too?
        What do you think the odds are?
        lol
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

You mean the odds that I'm an old white guy? :D
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

What did you say your university degree is?
            Business, obviously. It's no Jean Hebert Degree in Marketing from the School of Chess Economics, but it's done me alright.

You seem to have some privacy issues, has anyone ever filed a restraining order against you?
            ?? Not even sure what to say about this. No, I have never had a restraining order filed against me?

You haven't played any chess in the past two years, and even before that, not much activity. I don't think your past expertise means anything.
            It certainly can't compare with your vast knowledge from 4 years as a member of the Canadian chess scene exclusively as a player. What we are talking about here has, in reality, nothing to do with chess. It's about a poorly communicated business interaction from both sides that should have been kept between the two parties in question.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Show me the money

No business and no organisation would want to risk his reputation and name for a measly 95$.

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
              This is exactly what I thought about Aman Hambleton. Guess we are both wrong.
              If claiming what is believed to be rightfully yours is bad for someone's reputation, then I prefer people with bad reputation.
              Furthermore there is a huge difference between the parties. On one hand, a single individual's reputation risks being slightly affected (and probably not adversely in my opinion), on the other a whole organisation's reputation with quite a bit of power over chess players is being questioned. The FQE president confrontational and petty approach is way more cause for concern. Chess politicians dealing with individual players easily forget that the chess player is the customer, (even if it's a non-paying one rated over 2300... :))

Comment

Re : Re: Show me the money

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Elsewhere Roger Patterson made a good point: that Aman paid for a lower level tournament but was allowed to upgrade to a higher level tournament without penalty!
                Kerry,
                There is just one sticking point: the higher level tournament had free entries for those invited and qualified to play in it. If Aman Hambleton was deemed unqualified to play in it, why was he invited ? For the 95$ ? And if he was invited AND qualified (I think he fully was, remember, he was one of only three players getting a draw from me at the Closed in Guelph :)) on what ground should he be the only player to pay an entry fee ?

Comment

I want the time back I spent reading this thread...

Comment

at first i agreed with bindi cos i thought like, well hitler was an old white dude and that guy was a total dick

but then i thought like, well my grandpa is an old white dude too and he's really nice

so now i don't know WHAT to think
                    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

At this point, I'm sort of twiddling my thumbs. I hope I've made my point as clear and concise as it can be, some seem to see things the way I do at least.

Very simply I was an invited player who didn't receive the same treatment as other invited players and it was not explained that this would be the case before the tournament, or I would have reconsidered. For this reason, I am requesting my 95$ entry fee back from the FQE.

I suppose I'm awaiting Marc with some sort of final verdict. Are you going to reimburse me for my due amount or not?

Comment

I'm assuming race refers to juniors from this post. Anyways, this thread is getting out of hand. Flame wars on chesstalk is funny up to an extent but now it's getting kinda boring. I probably won't see any of you play chess in real life anyway, so what's the point?

[QUOTE=David Ottosen;30500]Not sure where you are pulling the race card out of. Also, as I've never met you, I had no idea that either you or the original poster were even juniors. By the way, I once organized the Canadian Junior and served as Canadian Junior coordinator. But, it's probably that I hate young upstart juniors that's the problem, not that the two of you are crazy.
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I think we may be seeing a sign of the apocalypse to come. I am finding myself in agreement with Jean Hebert on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                            Very simply I was an invited player who didn't receive the same treatment as other invited players and it was not explained that this would be the case before the tournament, or I would have reconsidered.
                            why didn't you ask beforehand?
                            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                              I suppose I'm awaiting Marc with some sort of final verdict. Are you going to reimburse me for my due amount or not?
                              If you think he hasn't clearly answered this question already, I don't know what to tell you.

Comment

In fact, correspondence with me over this issue has never been a forte of the FQE, so yes, I do want to hear it explicitly. David you are seriously at a loss of words because I am requesting further clarification on an important issue to me that I believe I am right in? Stop trying to pry your way into this. Marc hasn't spoken in awhile, and many viewpoints have been raised since, so I'm looking to get his updated take on the matter at hand.

To be quite frank, I'm at a loss of words if you cannot understand this...

Comment

Working...
                                X