Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show me the money

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
    Very simply I was an invited player who didn't receive the same treatment as other invited players and it was not explained that this would be the case before the tournament, or I would have reconsidered.
    Mr. Poulin makes it very clear he considers that you were upgraded to the invitational section, not invited to it. Akin to the extra fee
    that lower rated players often have to pay to play up.

His reference to his tournament budget is irrelevent, legally.
    I would think you are entitled to the refund if:

1) The invitational section has no entry fee to invited players

2) The organizers gave no written or verbal notice that uninvited players
    being allowed into the section would have to pay an entry fee (of $95)
    for the section

If both are true, then you have a case, one that you can take to small claims court.

Comment

Both are true.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
        Both are true.
        It may not matter much to a Quebec court anyway.
        The upgrade fee could still be decided later, as they
        never planned on uninvited entries to begin with.

Despite what organizers said, it's clear you weren't invited
        from the start. So a court might decide they were only
        conceding the entry, not a refund.

I wouldn't pursue it myself, given the modest entry fee. I agree
        with Roger, the more competitive section was better, even if it
        wasn't free.
        Last edited by Ed Zator; Tuesday, 26th October, 2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

It may not matter much to a Quebec court anyway.
          So a court might decide they were only conceding the entry, not a refund.
          Judge Judy hasn't quite made it to my speed dial yet, so going to court isn't at all within my intended course of action. I do, however, eagerly look forward to the next Quebec tournament...hopefully 1st prize is $95.

For now Marc, we will have to agree to disagree that you are right.

Comment

Mr. Hambleton:

Faced with your persistent request for a refund, we went back to our files to double-check the facts. In the process, we uncovered this e-mail you wrote to Richard Bérubé:

To: Richard Bérubé
            Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 2:25 AM
            Subject: Invitational Section

Hi,

I hope you have received my previous email about a request to be moved from the Open section to the Invitational section, as I am FM Aman Hambleton, and accidently registered for the Open section thinking this tournament was one big open section. I was informed of the Invitational section after, and now wish to be moved and paired with these stronger players. I would very much appreciate the switch, and my last email was sent with still a week until the tournament, so I am sure this will not pose a problem. I hope I can get a response to acknowledge that this email has been received and that I will be paired in the Invitational section. Thanks for your continued support,

Cheers,

Aman Hambleton

It clearly supports our interpretation of the chain of events that you were not formally invited to the Invitation section but that the FQE merely accommodated your request to play in this section.
            It is true that in my response to Mr. Henry (July 21 on Chesstalk), where I was explaining to him why he did not receive an invitation to that section, I made a mistake and used the words “hence the invitations” rather than the words “hence the participation” that would have been more precise, but that mistake should not obscure the basic facts that you were not part of the officially invited players. Therefore the FQE still feels totally justified not to issue a refund.

That being said, and in order to close this file, the FQE is willing to make you the following proposition (without prejudice):

The FQE will allow you to play in the 2011 Sponge Towels Quebec Open in the Open section for free, in as long as you pre-register for the event prior to June 1. We are requesting that you pre-register early so that we can manage our 2011 invitation budget in accordance with your response. Obviously, participation in the Invitation section remains at the sole discretion of the FQE and we cannot predict at this time who will be invited nor the criteria that will be used, if any, to determine who will be invited
            Second, in order to clear up any further misunderstanding in the future, the FQE has decided that any CFC participant in the Invitation section in the future will be subject to a participation fee of 100$ (unless specified otherwise in the invitation letter). Of course, FQE members will still be able to play for free. We feel this fee is totally justified given that the FQE invest close to 8000$ in the Quebec Open, mainly for the benefit of the Invitation section. The FQE is glad to offer its elite members this opportunity to face International competition at home and therefore accepts to run the tournament at a deficit. We feel that the fee we will charge to CFC members is small in light of the opportunity to participate in one of the few tournaments in Canada that offers norm potential.

Hoping that this proposition will find your satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
              the FQE has decided that any CFC participant in the Invitation section in the future will be subject to a participation fee of 100$
              Does a FQE membership ($40) limited to people living only in Quebec? The google translated FQE website does not provide this info.
              and What will you do with those who has a double membership (CFC/FQE)? :D

Comment

Marc wrote:

the FQE has decided that any CFC participant in the Invitation section in the future will be subject to a participation fee of 100$ (unless specified otherwise in the invitation letter). Of course, FQE members will still be able to play for free.
                I don't understand this completely. Does "CFC participant" refer to a FQE (or non-FQE) member - but a CFC member living outside of Quebec? Does "FQE member" refer to FQE members living in Quebec? There are numerous FQE members living outside of Quebec - just as there are CFC members living in Quebec.

For the section to be FIDE rated, everyone must be a CFC member.

To Egidijus: anyone can become an FQE member - no matter where they live.

Comment

For more precision, I meant CFC members who are not FQE members will have to pay the fee. FQE members do not have to pay. Membership is the criteria here and not residence.
                  For example Mr. Qin, who is a member, but resides in Ottawa would not have to pay. He was also eligible to play in the Quebec Élite tournament because he is a member of the FQE.
                  Hope it clarifies.

Comment

So - a potential participant can either pay the $40 FQE membership fee (or a tournament membership?) and a $0 entry fee - or a $100 entry fee? Obviously - players will choose the cheaper option.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      So - a potential participant can either pay the $40 FQE membership fee (or a tournament membership?) and a $0 entry fee - or a $100 entry fee? Obviously - players will choose the cheaper option.
                      And, just like magic, FQE membership numbers will increase!
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Obviously the player has to be a member of the FQE at the time of the invitation. So a player could become a member (and there are plenty of good reasons to become one such as improving his French by reading Échec + :) ) but there are no guaranties that he will be invited.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          And, just like magic, FQE membership numbers will increase!
                          That's what it's all about, Kerry. Sell the memberships and use the money to promote chess. I did it for years with CC. It's easier to sell memberships when there is already a big membership than it is when there are not very many.

Nothing succeeds like success!
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

OK - I get it now. Invitations will be sent out to FQE members only (in a certain age range and/or rating range) on a certain date. If you are thinking of playing for $0 - join the FQE in advance of this date.

Comment

That being said, and in order to close this file, the FQE is willing to make you the following proposition (without prejudice):

The FQE will allow you to play in the 2011 Sponge Towels Quebec Open in the Open section for free, in as long as you pre-register for the event prior to June 1. We are requesting that you pre-register early so that we can manage our 2011 invitation budget in accordance with your response.

Hoping that this proposition will find your satisfaction.
                              You sir, have yourself a deal. I appreciate you finding a way to accommodate my request.

Comment

Re : Re: Show me the money

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
                                For more precision, I meant CFC members who are not FQE members will have to pay the fee. FQE members do not have to pay. Membership is the criteria here and not residence.
                                It is quite comforting to learn that FQE membership is everything and living and playing chess in Quebec is nothing. Our doors are now wide open to anybody on the planet in exchange for a 40$ membership, but someone who has been playing in Québec for decades with hundreds if not thousands of games played may be left out in the cold if his membership happens to have expired at the unfortunate time when invitations are issued. And even if his membership status is in order, he may still be left out and bumped by foreigners with FQE memberships, considering the FQE "limited budget for invitations". No wonder this 95$ made such a fuss.

Hopefully countries such as the United States and France will return the favour and allow us to play in their national invitational championships for a 40$ membership fee.

Comment

Working...
                                X