Canadian World Chess Champion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian World Chess Champion!

Jason won his game on board 2. Board 1 draw. We believe Jason wins 1st place based on his tiebreake. More info will be posted on teams blog!

Andrei
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:26 AM.

Re: Canadian World Chess Champion!

Canadian final standings

name, score, place, section
    Cao Jason 9,0 1 Open U10
    Peng Jackie 7,0 12 Girls U12
    Botez Andrea 6,5 25 Girls U08
    Doknjas Joshua 6,5 32 Open U08
    Bellissimo Joseph F 6,0 51 Open U10
    Kalaydina Regina Veronicka 6,0 31 Girls U14
    Peng Janet 6,0 45 Girls U10
    Sapozhnikov Roman 6,0 48 Open U16
    Song Guannan Terry 6,0 60 Open U12
    Wang Kelly 6,0 35 Girls U10
    Xiong Jerry 6,0 55 Open U16
    Bai Minya 5,5 56 Girls U10
    Birarov Nicole 5,5 38 Girls U08
    Botez Alexandra 5,0 63 Girls U16
    Doknjas John 5,0 94 Open U12
    Itkin David 5,0 72 Open U14
    Plotkin Mark 5,0 96 Open U12
    Song Edward 5,0 91 Open U12
    Zhang Yuanchen 5,0 92 Open U10
    Giblon Melissa 4,5 90 Girls U12
    Giblon Rebecca 4,5 75 Girls U14
    Sohal Tanraj 4,5 85 Open U14
    Yang Marguerite 3,5 68 Girls U18

Comment

Hooray!

Fabulous result Jason! Congratulations! Not to take anything away from the accomplishments of Jeff and Julia Sarwer, but the WYCC has come a long way since their victories in Puerto Rico. Jason faced tough oposition in every single round.

It was also notable that team USA had several contenders in this age group. Jason faced at least 4 of them!

Comment

Re : Canadian World Chess Champion!

Congratulations!!

He played against very strong opponents and deserved this title! Does anyone know if he gets a CM/FM title for winning this event?

Comment

Jason's victory scores the FM Title, and if I read the tables correctly, the tiebreak runner up does also.

Comment

Congratulations! Superb performance. The best news is that young Jason has years of chess success ahead of him in Canada.

Comment

WOW! Congrats FM Jason Cao! You have made Canada so proud :)

Comment

Congratulations Jason! and the rest of Team Canada

Comment

Congrats Jason!
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Fantastic Jason. Have a safe trip back to Victoria, champ!
                    Paul Leblanc
                    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

congratulations, young man! yours was a very clutch performance
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Wonderful performance! Nice to see Canada producing medals and/or contenders every year. And considering our juniors do it all on their own without the support that most of their rivals recieve, it makes it even more oustanding. Imagine the results we could get if we had a system in place for talented juniors. IMO this is one of the bright spots in current Canadian chess and we should start pushing it a little more.

Oh, and before I forget, good job repping Western Canada and showing that we can produce equal and even better results than the East :)

Comment

Superb!

Congratulations Jason. :D:D:D

Comment

I didn't get the chance to see Jason that much while we were both here, but when I did, I could not help but come away with the feeling that he was a real nice and happy kid, the kind that puts a smile on your face after just a few seconds. There were a few moments when some people would have felt pressured, but all indications were that he is always a nice and happy kid! Just wonderful to see, and reflects great on his family!

I also wanted to take this opportunity to commend the adults who ran the team, from Andrei to Andrew to Vladimir to the other parents too (sorry that I cannot list them all here, but we didn't get the chance to spend much time together). I just wanted to say from first-hand experience that these parents were so invested emotionally in all of the children on the Canadian team. Andrei and Andrew in particular seemed to just never stop, and they have recorded incredible amounts of footage for everyones' memories!

Canadian chess should also be proud of these parents, as they have probably made a special difference in the Canadian kids' development, not just as chess players, but also as children appreciating the great diverse world that they can be a part of. During the closing presentation, there were some traditional Greek dancers performing, and it was really cool to see Andrei get up in the front row, and lead many hundreds of people in clapping! And I was delighted that he was wearing his Team Canada shirt! Andrei, at this my first WYCC, it was a pleasure meeting you, and seeing what you did for everyone! :)

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS TO JASON CAO -- U10 WORLD CHESS CHAMP: Canadian World Chess Champion!

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                              Jason won his game on board 2. Board 1 draw. We believe Jason wins 1st place based on his tiebreake. More info will be posted on teams blog!

Andrei

Great News! Jason Cao from Victoria BC Canada is World Champion! Jason Cao won his final game and finished with 9 out of 11 with a spectacular performance at the 2010 World Youth Chess Champion in Greece. Jason had 8 wins and 2 draws in the 11 round tournament and is the U10 World Champion! Jason is expected back in Victoria later this week.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X