Attention: CYCC Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention: CYCC Parents

I am looking from input from CYCC Parents concerning the possibility of the 2011 CYCC being run concurrently with the 2011 CO, in Toronto.

This would entail a 7 day CYCC, with one game per day. Players would be able to participate in the CO, as the games would be at different times.

I would like to hear from parents who have previously particpated. Please clearly state the name of your child, age group for 2011, and your residence in your comments.

Re: Attention: CYCC Parents

Hello Fred,

How about regular CYCC four days with seven rounds, could you mention the tradition one also? I am a U10 girl player mom. here are thoughts of most parents:
    1/Running a CYCC over 7 days,Parents have to take a full week out of their precious vacation time to take their kid(s) to a CYCC. almost 2 weeks of their vacation time. Problem one.
    Problem two: the added cost for the majority of CYCC attendees of almost doubling their hotel nights and in Toronto!
    2/here is one more: if some of top young players will decide to participate in both tournaments, and some other will not - those other will have a huge advantage at CYCC because they will be fresh every morning.

3/Personally I don't like this idea to play 2 tournaments the same time. I believe young player who participates in both tournaments gives handicape to his opponents which is equal to about 100-150 rating points . To improve their chances at CYCC most strong players will not play at CO, which is probably bad for CO.I think this idea could be great for organizares (for financial reason) but not accepted for most young players.

4/From a CYCC perspective it is a no win situation. I would estimate that we could lose half the potential participants(from outside of Toronto) by going to a 7 day tournament. It is very costly in vacation time and room and board costs.

Hope more parents will give their thoughts to support CYCC event.

Comment

Yes. I should have clarified my question. I was trying to address parents from outside the Toronto area, who would have to have increased accommodation costs.

The Executive will soon have to make a decision on accepting the traditional 4 day Richmond Hill format vs the 7 day format proposed by the Toronto group.

Having said that, I am also open to also hearing from Toronto area parents.

I understand the pros and cons quite well, I'm trying to get input from parents who participated last year to see how they feel.

Comment

Aren't the Governors going to be allowed to vote on the bids?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
          Aren't the Governors going to be allowed to vote on the bids?
          Chess isn't a democracy.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Ken:

You are right that the governors' get to bid on these " late " bids for the CYCC, because there are two conflicting bids:

Section 9 of the CFC Handbook :

IMPORTANT EVENTS IN CANADA-GUIDELINES, BIDS

900. GUIDELINES FOR MAJOR TOURNAMENTS

Uncontested Bids for National Tournaments

944. If the published deadline for bids has passed, the CFC Executive is empowered to award all national tournaments unless there are two or more conflicting bids. [see Motion 80-20; GL, June 1980, p. 125]

Bob

Comment

oops, Bob Armstrong beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Ken:

You are right that the governors' get to bid on these " late " bids for the CYCC, because there are two conflicting bids:

Section 9 of the CFC Handbook :

IMPORTANT EVENTS IN CANADA-GUIDELINES, BIDS

900. GUIDELINES FOR MAJOR TOURNAMENTS

Uncontested Bids for National Tournaments

944. If the published deadline for bids has passed, the CFC Executive is empowered to award all national tournaments unless there are two or more conflicting bids. [see Motion 80-20; GL, June 1980, p. 125]

Bob
                Excuse my slip. It'll be done by the rules.

Comment

I am looking for input from ALL Chess Players concerning the possibility of the 2011 Canadian Amateur Chess Championships (CACC) being run concurrently with the 2011 CO, in Toronto.

This would entail a 7 day CACC, with one game per day. Players would be able to participate in the CO, as the games would be at different times.

Oh, we still get 2 mornings free; let's also throw in the Canadian Closed Chess Champ (CCCC), a 9 day CACC, with one game per day. But then, we will need to play seven extra days, definitely not cost effective. Let's make seven of the days a three games day, at 7am, 12pm & 6pm.

This would entail a 9 day CO, CACC & CCCC combined, with one, two or three games per day. Players would be able to participate in all of them, as the games would be at different times.

This works perfectly, am I a genius or what.

[Updated to get the numbers right.]
                  Last edited by Michael Lo; Wednesday, 10th November, 2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Re : Attention: CYCC Parents

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                    I am looking from input from CYCC Parents concerning the possibility of the 2011 CYCC being run concurrently with the 2011 CO, in Toronto.

This would entail a 7 day CYCC, with one game per day. Players would be able to participate in the CO, as the games would be at different times.

I would like to hear from parents who have previously particpated. Please clearly state the name of your child, age group for 2011, and your residence in your comments.
                    When I see schemes like that I am happy that my kids don't play chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

For me, the 7 days CYCC is not a bad idea. However neither I or my son does not like the idea of put CYCC and CO concurrently since they are totally different format, purpose, and opponents.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Lo View Post
                        I am looking for input from ALL Chess Players concerning the possibility of the 2011 Canadian Amateur Chess Championships (CACC) being run concurrently with the 2011 CO, in Toronto.

SNIP!

If I were younger, I might be crazy enough to play in all three at once. You are a genius!
                        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 11th November, 2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Lo View Post

This would entail a 7 day CACC, with one game per day. Players would be able to participate in the CO, as the games would be at different times.

Oh, we still get 2 mornings free; let's also throw in the Canadian Closed Chess Champ (CCCC), a 9 day CACC, with one game per day. But then, we will need to play seven extra days, definitely not cost effective. Let's make seven of the days a three games day, at 7am, 12pm & 6pm.

This would entail a 9 day CO, CACC & CCCC combined, with one, two or three games per day. Players would be able to participate in all of them, as the games would be at different times.

I think players will be full on caffeine and no sleep to be able to play in all of them. It's probably too radical for most players to possibly accept. But you never know, chess players are crazy. As for the CYCC, I think the 4-day works best with two games a day cause you guys gotta remember, it's the parents that have to babysit their kids and take work off to let them play. As for the CFC governors... I hope you don't mean that you'll vote whether to change the CYCC from 7-day to 4-day. If anything, I think the parents of the kids playing should be allowed to vote in something like this since it actually means something to them. Last time I checked, most people agreed that governors aren't as useful as they ought to be.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I am currently 14 years old and next year I will be in the u16 section if I were to play at the CYCC. I live in the Toronto area and would prefer the traditional 4 day, 7 round system.

When I first heard about the CO and CYCC being combined, I thought that this was a good idea, but now that I think about it, it would be a great dissadvantage to people who would like to play in both tournaments, as those people will have more games a day than those who choose to play in only one of these tournaments. If this bid were to be chosen I would be very dissapointed, as it will become a no win situation. If I play in both, I will ruin my chances in both of the tournaments, and if I play in only one of them, I will miss a great tournament. It is likely that because next year will be my junior year and that raising my FIDE rating is a very big goal of mine, that I will only play in the Canadian Open if this bid were to be chosen, but I have not yet made my final decision.

Comment

I would like to ask the CFC governors and the combine tournament bidder to clarify on the reason(s) and intension of overlapping CO and CYCC. I can think of three:

1) To increase participation

This can be achieved by holding the tournaments at the same place one followed immediately by the other.

By combining the two tournaments, it is clear now the juniors figured that they are just forced to pick between the two if they take any of the tournament seriously. By extending the CYCC to seven days will only lower participation rate. No matter how you shuffle the numbers, it will lower both tournaments' participation.

Even if some juniors decided to join both, how would it be fair for them not to be able to join the CO side events, like GM lectures in the morning.

2) To lower the rental cost for CO (cost shared by CYCC)

This can be achieved by changing the CO format into two games per day, or partially two games per day (e.g. in the weekend). I do not see a legitimate reason to change the CYCC format, forcing juniors to pick one of the two tournaments or get penalized to play two games a day, so that our adult players can play one game a day and to lower the CO cost.

3) To financially combine the two tournaments, so the money raised by CYCC to support juniors to attend WYCC will be partially or fully used to subsidize the money losing CO.

I am not saying this is the intend. But if it is, I would really want to hear the opinions from the CFC governors and the junior parents.

I understand that there is no bid for CO other than the combined one, but I doubt the suggestion of jeopardizing CYCC to save CO. A better option would be to leave CYCC alone, then think of ways to save CO, like 1 & 2 stated above. Intentionally conflicting the schedule of two major tournaments and forcing players to pick one is not a solution to anything, if we can call that a solution at all.

Fred, Gary, Bob, other governors and our Youth Coordinator Michael?

Comment

Working...
                              X