Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : The revised CYCC bid from Toronto

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    In any case, history tends to indicate to me if the CO is held in Toronto in 2011 the entry will be lower than it was in 2010.
    You should be (or was) a good politician. Half-true :D History showed that numbers for other cities were much more smaller after CO held in Toronto in the previous year.

(Numbers from http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/canop.htm , a picture - mine)

Thus prediction could be: 2011 CO non-Toronto ~150; 2011 CO Toronto ~220 :D

A good contender to beat a pattern - Montreal.

(If you wish too see other cities (Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, etc, let me know. I may add later.)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      You should be (or was) a good politician. Half-true :D History showed that numbers for other cities were much more smaller after CO held in Toronto in the previous year.
      I was a successful chess politician. I increased memberships and the organizations with which I was involved were successful.

I would expect some of the venues for the CO would have smaller entry numbers due to geographical reasons. Quebec does have a good turnout but I didn't notice any mention of a bid from that province.

Still, it does not change the statistics. The last two times the CO has been held in the same area in consecutive years, the entry the second year was less. Your addition to the equation by adding many irrelevant factors does not change the two important sets of figures. It simply adds dreck to a simple concept.

I think it's prudent for a CO organizer to take into consideration the likelihood their entry numbers will be slightly less when planning expenditures.

The CFC is fortunate to have a bid from Toronto for both events from the same organizer. If the event is viable I wonder why the other bid did not include the CO.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Why I Am Supporting Richmond Hill Team For CYCC Hosts

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
        I wonder how $35,000 resulted. As far as I know, CFC is giving $1,000 to each category winner (8,10,12,14,16,18 - boys + girls), that is $12,000. You can add $2,000 for coach and you get to 14k.

Andrei
        First of all I hope the organizers don't take me to be criticizing them. I am just talking about the reality of Canadian Chess...namely that there is shortage of money...

Ok, to answer your question, my estimate was based on looking at the trip to Greece and adding what the kids were each asked to pay. (My understanding is that the trip to Brazil will cost even more.)

So the CYCC in 2010 raised 20 thousand dollars and then each kid was asked to pay $1000 each. That's 30 thousand dollars. I added $5000 for other expenses.

(Note: The fact both CYCC bids are once again talking about raising $20,000 and last year's bid raised $20,00 reflects that is about as good as you can do raising funds with entry fees.)

Even if you don't add the $5000 (which I think is a bad way to do a budget) you still have $30,000, 10k of which we were short as Canadian chess supporters in 2010

....And yes some kids didn't go because they couldn't cough up 1000 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          ... I'm not sure why you used 1990 as a cutoff date.
          No reason, it just seemed like a nice round number. It's good of Jonathan to make the historical records available.

When preparing a bid for CYCC in 2010, I found it very difficult to find stats on previous years.

Comment

Canadian Open participation counts (with locations) since the start (1956) can be found at one of my out-of-date web pages at:

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canopen.htm

Comment

In my opinion I do not know why the CYCC and the CDN open don't just start after the World Open so Juniors can play in all three.
              Why does the CDN Open always have to start when it does?
              Play the World Open Play the CYCC and then have the CDN Open
              I know that the Montreal or is it the Quebec Open Open always conflicts with the last weekend of the CDN Open.
              But who says the CDN OPEN has to start on a Weekend? Why Can't it start on a Thursday or a Friday. Hey if you are going to work and play Just take a bye at the start.
              Really Guys and Gals lets just cooperate and get full time chess. It can be done you just gotta be more flexible.
              I think two events at different locations will cost any organizer less cash losses.
              Running two events with one bidder is a no win situation unless some one can show me records where one organizer running two events made money.

Comment

The Quebec Open and Canadian Open don't conflict. The dates for the 2011 Quebec Open were announced several months ago (July 23-30, 2011).

Comment

Re: The revised CYCC bid from Toronto

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
                  For kids and non-Governors (who can't access the CFC's Governors Discussion Board):

World Open (Philadelphia): June 30 - July 4 (Mon)

Toronto (Changed bid): July 4 (Mon) - July 7 (Thu)

Many young Canadian players traditionally participate in World Open.

Last year some of the top players (including James Fu) had skiped CYCC in Windsor in favour of World Open.

New dates proposed by Toronto team in their revised bid are in conflict with World Open dates.
                  Also in July will be PanAmerican Youth in Columbia.
                  ________
                  LovelyWendie
                  Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Voting on 2 Competing Revised CYCC Bids Closed

Posted recently on the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum:

November 22, 2010, 12:30 AM
                    Bob Armstrong CFC Governor

Polls Closed

If I understood the voting instructions from CFC President Bob Gillanders correctly, voting by the Governors on the 2 now-revised CYCC bids has ended ( polls closed at 11:59 PM EST on Sunday, Nov. 21 ).

Hopefully the results will be recorded by the CFC Secretary Lyle Craver quickly, and sent to the President, for him to release them in the next day or so - I'm sure the bidders are anxious to hear the result, as are many of us.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                      The following is a copy of a post I send to the CFC governor's forum. It outlines my reasons for supporting the Richmond Hill Team over Toronto. You may not understand it without a little context so let me give you a summary of the situation:

There are two teams bidding for the CYCC, Toronto and Richmond Hill. The Toronto team is offering to hold the CYCC and the Canadian Open at the same time, while the Richmond Hill team is focused on just doing the CYCC as a single tournament.

The problem facing the governors is that there are no other bids for the Canadian Open so some of them are worried if they don't support the Toronto team for the CYCC they may be left with no one organizing the Canadian Open. I think their concerns are quite valid...

(post begins)

I think it needs to be remembered that the two main goals of the CYCC are 1. to act as a fund raiser to send our juniors to the WYCC. And, 2. To provide a strong tournament where our juniors can hone their chess skills. These are a far higher priority than how good the hotel looks.

Focusing on goal number 1, I have made a rough mental calculation of what it would cost to send our juniors to Brazil and it would be about 35 thousand dollars.

It seems clear to me that neither bid attempts to raise this amount and that both of them have prioritized other things over that goal.

That said and done, when I look at the numbers I am more confident in the Richmond Hill to raise monies in the 20 thousand dollar range than the Toronto bid.

I think Toronto has committed themselves to success only if there is a high turnout and that is a formula that is too risky imho.

Now lets look at goal number 2. Clearly, forcing our juniors to either play in two tournaments or to choose between them is less beneficial for their chess than the normal format, which is to have two separate tournaments.

As far as the Canadian Open goes, I think it is very important that we put it aside and consider the goals of the CYCC in isolation and whether either of these bids achieve its intended goals.

If the point of some is to say, well go with Toronto or there wont be a Canadian Open, my answer is - don't let yourself be bullied into compromising on our top juniors.

Simply pick the bid you think is the best for the CYCC and we will work on a solution for the Canadian Open as a separate issue.

These considerations combined with the fact the Toronto team did not answer the questions asked of them by the governors leads me to feel for the sake of our juniors I must put my support behind the Richmond Hill team.

I'd like to thank both teams for their support of junior chess. People who know me know how sincere I am when I say that.

In my opinion, I kind of support both in some ways. I think the seven day schedule is a good idea since it is less tiring, but I don't think it is a good idea to mix with CO.
                      Michael Song

Comment

The results of the vote are now available on the CFC discussion board.

Comment

Working...
                        X