CYCC 2011 voting result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CYCC 2011 voting result

Are you suggesting, Jean, that Kevin is a leading ethicist?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
      lol

I think we all realize that KS loves any dirt on the CFC...
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Re : Conflict of Interest Issue - Goes to CFC Ethics Committee

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        According to another source down this thread the Ethics Committee is "defunct". Surely this sounds like more juicy food for K. Spraggett...
        The Committee is not "defunct", but obviously at the moment severely undermanned.

In it's absence, the business of "conflict of interest" will be discussed by the Governors at the January on-line meeting, which will hopefully produce some rules for the future.

We will continue to welcome volunteers for this Committee, for future issues.

Comment

Re : Re: CYCC 2011 voting result

Well, no need to be a "leading ethicist" to see the humor in referring an ethical question to a defunct (or even "undermanned") commitee.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

In it's absence, the business of "conflict of interest" will be discussed by the Governors at the January on-line meeting, which will hopefully produce some rules for the future.

We will continue to welcome volunteers for this Committee, for future issues.
            Asking for volunteers for an ethics committee is comical. Have you considered asking people who have ethics to serve on such a committee?

Regarding "rules for the future", the current rules are in the handbook. The handbook has all the rules and regulations associated with the organization.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Asking for volunteers for an ethics committee is comical. Have you considered asking people who have ethics to serve on such a committee?

Regarding "rules for the future", the current rules are in the handbook. The handbook has all the rules and regulations associated with the organization.
              Isn't the CFC run by volunteers? I hope the CFC pays Gerry & Co. to do what they do (replacing the former office staff), but every other effort is done on a volunteer basis, so I don't see an alternative to asking for volunteers for the Ethics Committee... Appointing someone or someones likely won't work.

I also assume that anyone who volunteers and is without ethics would be rejected...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

CFC Ethics Committee

GTCL/Ont. Governor Ilia Bluvshtein, who I believe is our one remaining member of the Ethics Committee at the moment ( elected at the Toronto July AGM ), has broad shoulders ! - maybe he'll be able to keep the issue from sinking into the waves until help comes !

Bob

Comment

A CFC member without ethics????? Is there such an animal?

Bob

Comment

Re: Vote or No Vote for the Chair?

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    ... And do you think that there is any group of active governors who would not have some history of association with any plausible group of bidders? ...
                    Simply knowing someone does not, in and of itself, create a conflict of interest. What is your point here, Roger? Are you suggesting that because the CFC is a small organization that, therefore, it doesn't have to set a high ethical standard for the conduct of its business? That's ridiculous.
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re: Too Many Hats to Wear and so little time -- Re: Vote or No Vote for the Chair?

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
                      ... Many of us in the chess community wear many different hats. ...
                      Wearing "many different hats" does not necessarily cause conflict of interest. Nowhere in my posts did I say that people should not be allowed to wear many different hats. However, **IF** a conflict of interest should arise as a consequence of wearing different hats, then that individual should be expected to do the ethically correct thing, namely: declare the conflict and let others who are involved decide whether the conflict is material and warrants that individual excusing themselves from discussion/decision making/etc.

What is so difficult about this? Whether it's an old hand, like a Roger Patterson or a Mark Dutton, or someone new to the game, shouldn't everyone who bids for the right to run a CFC event be entitled to believe that their bid will be assessed objectively and impartially on the basis of its merits?

Jeez, you guys worry me.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Are there any indications Peter that indivdiuals who voted on the CO and CYCC bids were in conflict of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                          Are you suggesting that because the CFC is a small organization that, therefore, it doesn't have to set a high ethical standard for the conduct of its business?
                          Peter, there is a spot on the Ethics Committee. It looks you would be a good candidate to craft the high ethical standard.

Comment

Are there any indications Peter that indivdiuals who voted on the CO and CYCC bids were in conflict of interest?
                            Hi Ken. I forget who first brought this up, but someone put the question (paraphrasing): can an individual be part of the organizing committee for one bid and still exercise their duty of impartiality as a governor with respect to assessing competing bids? I say no. I say that that individual has a conflict of interest, that s/he should openly declare that conflict, and that s/he should then withdraw from discussion/voting on the matter at hand if it is deemed (by whom? a CFC ethics committee perhaps?) that the conflict is material.

In the case of the 2011 CYCC, I believe the matter of conflict was amicably resolved among the bidding parties by Bob Gillanders. So the question now is, to paraphrase Bob Armstrong, what will be the CFC's ethical policies/guidelines for the future.

Comment

Hi Peter, There is a debate over whether the first paragraph you wrote is a conflict of interest if a financial gain is not involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                                Simply knowing someone does not, in and of itself, create a conflict of interest. What is your point here, Roger? Are you suggesting that because the CFC is a small organization that, therefore, it doesn't have to set a high ethical standard for the conduct of its business? That's ridiculous.
                                what I think is that you are creating mountains out of mole hills and hallucinating an imaginary conflict of interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X