Chessbase: Forget about Elo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessbase: Forget about Elo

Interesting article. According to the author, elite chess would do much better to have a Grand Slam type system of victory points for deciding who are the best players in the world.

http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6851

Re: Chessbase: Forget about Elo

He didn't give much details for how this would be structured.

How would new players be added? When would a player be dropped?
    Chess isn't like tennis, it's not like you're fit one year and then the next year you're washed up. What's the chess equivalent of a broken ankle? :)

I actually like how the system is now. I do agree there should be more events, and probably fairer ways to determine who plays. I remember the horrid days of the FIDE World Championship, that was garbage (World Champion Ponomariov?)

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
      He didn't give much details for how this would be structured.

How would new players be added? When would a player be dropped?
      Chess isn't like tennis, it's not like you're fit one year and then the next year you're washed up. What's the chess equivalent of a broken ankle? :)

I actually like how the system is now. I do agree there should be more events, and probably fairer ways to determine who plays. I remember the horrid days of the FIDE World Championship, that was garbage (World Champion Ponomariov?)
      Ponomariov is a better player then Kasimdzhanov, and much better then Khalifman, for whatever that is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
        Ponomariov is a better player then Kasimdzhanov, and much better then Khalifman, for whatever that is worth.
        Which further reinforces my point :D

I think Ponomariov sucks (in comparison to an Anand, Kramnik, Topalov, etc), and yet we can find other FIDE World Champions that he is better than...

Comment

Although I like the match system, a grand slam type system would not be nearly as bad as the FIDE world cup system.... Players like Khalifman and Kasimdzhanov may be good enough to win a knock-out on occasion, but it seems unlikely they could collect enough tournament points to be the world champion in a grand slam system comprised of multiple events.

Comment

Working...
          X