Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for one good reason to renew my CFC annual membership

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
    That happens. How's Toronto, though? Smelly?
    of course it smells... it has the leafs

Comment

BC vs CC

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
      Above all else, I hope that any good BC junior that qualifies for the chess challenge will not play in that and play in the Keres Memorial. I will probably be back just to play in the Keres Memorial and support the strongest tournament in BC.
      Why do you think that BC juniors should avoid Chess Challenge?

Comment

Re: BC vs CC

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Why do you think that BC juniors should avoid Chess Challenge?
        Presumably because the Keres Memorial is a much better opportunity to improve.
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Presumably because the Keres Memorial is a much better opportunity to improve.
          As I understand, CC is a three stage tournament - city (region), province, Canada. Thus, three times more preparations and opportunities to improve.

Comment

As I understand, CC is a three stage tournament - city (region), province, Canada. Thus, three times more preparations and opportunities to improve.
            1. Regionals in BC for serious players typically can only be (but aren't necessarily) challenging if you live in Vancouver.
            2. You can still play in the Regionals and Provincials and decline the invitation to the Nationals. I did it a few times.
            3. Many of the rounds at the Nationals (usually PEI, NB, Sask., Nfld., etc) are far from challenging for a serious player from BC.
            4. The Chess Challenge is an active chess competition; 19 active games are less of a learning experience than six of seven serious tournament games.
            5. The funds that one would need to travel to the Nationals (unless the Nationals are in a neighbouring province, BC players don't receive full funding) can be diverted to trips to higher calibre tournaments.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

4. The Chess Challenge is an active chess competition; 19 active games are less of a learning experience than six of seven serious tournament games.
              5. The funds that one would need to travel to the Nationals (unless the Nationals are in a neighbouring province, BC players don't receive full funding) can be diverted to trips to higher calibre tournaments.
              After checking the serious junior BC chess players with an average rating 1980, I conclude that the main reason is finances :D

Comment

After checking the serious junior BC chess players with an average rating 1980, I conclude that the main reason is finances :D
                BC is the third strongest province, fool.

Comment

Eg, the chess challenge isn't even a challenge. It's a series of 30 minute games that's designed to be of near useless quality. If I had played in grade 12, the only two players that would be around my strength would be Zhe Quan and Trevor Vincent. That's 2 out of 10... and we would be playing 30 minute games... Basically, the CC is just a socializing opportunity with juniors from difference provinces, not really a tournament designed to test your strength. Any weekend tournament would offer the same or more quality of competition -- plus, most weekend tournament games don't take less than an hour to finish.
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

BC is the third strongest province, fool.
                    Literally, BC is the next-to-last. No offense, that's reality of diverse Canada ;)

Comment

Eg, the chess challenge isn't even a challenge. It's a series of 30 minute games that's designed to be of near useless quality. If I had played in grade 12, the only two players that would be around my strength
                      Bindi, how many juniors of your caliber have you left in BC? ;)

Comment

Are you seriously trying to argue that the Nationals would be better for an UP AND COMING JUNIOR than the Keres, or are you just trolling it up for the lulz?

Comment

Ed, are you just being dumb or is it just me?
                          How many juniors have I left?
                          I went to university - I'm pretty sure university is a step up from
                          a chess professional the last time I checked.
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Ed,
                            Wrongly phrased. Sorry. Maybe this one is better: How many junior players of your caliber are in BC?
                            Hardly to guess without knowing the slope improvement, but the next year BC players may have to fight not in two but in five games ;)

Lucas, what does it make Keres Memorial to stand out from other weekends and maybe I'll come in 2010 ;) (Do you plan to combine with Canadian Open?)

Comment

Lucas plays in the Keres, therefore it is worth going to. Who plays in the Nationals? Asano? No. He's a famous actor in Japan. Described as a cross between Johnny Depp and Toshirô Mifune, Asano Tadanobu is certainly the hippest, if not the single most important, Japanese film actor working today. His father, an actors' agent, suggested he take on what became his first role, in the TV show "Kimpachi Sensei," at the age of 16.

His film debut was in the 1990 Swimming Upstream (Bataashi Kingyo (1990)), though his first major critical success was in Shunji Iwai's Fried Dragon Fish (1993) (TV). His first critical success in the West was in Hirokazu Koreeda's Maboroshi no hikari (1995), in which he played a man who inexplicably throws himself in front of a train, widowing his wife and orphaning his infant son. His best known works internationally are the samurai films Gohatto (1999) and Zatôichi (2003).

It was on the set of Iwai's _Picnic (1996)_ that he met and fell in love with J-Pop idol Chara. They married soon after learning she was pregnant with their first child, Smile. While best known for characters who are psychologically offbeat, if not downright psychotic (e.g. Kakihara in Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya 1 (2001))), Asano is described by those who know him as a down-to-earth family man. He has directed commercial TV spots for Chara, and manages to find time to take Smile and his son, Himi, to the zoo.

Hesistant to identify himself as an actor, he most readily describes himself as a vocalist, referring to Mach 1.67, the band he has with director Sogo Ishii. He's also an artist, and a model, most notably for the Japanese designers Takeo Kikuchi and Jun Takahashi.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                                It was on the set of Iwai's _Picnic (1996)_ that he met and fell in love with J-Pop idol Chara. They married soon after learning she was pregnant with their first child, Smile. While best known for characters who are psychologically offbeat, if not downright psychotic (e.g. Kakihara in Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya 1 (2001))), Asano is described by those who know him as a down-to-earth family man. He has directed commercial TV spots for Chara, and manages to find time to take Smile and his son, Himi, to the zoo.
                                That's great copy! Who wrote it? "Nate" or Stephen Harpers speech writer?
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X