X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for one good reason to renew my CFC annual membership

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    "one good reason"

We will have an opportunity to observe the Chess Olympiad with Canadian teams ([ Clear already: largest Olympiad of all times.]). While the participation expenses are covered by donations, the eligibility to play requires the national federation to be a FIDE member at the appropriate fee. This fee is paid partly by collected CFC membership fees.
    Umm what does sending a team have to do for him? What good reason does HE have to renew... sending the elites off doesnt do a thing for the vast majority of CFC members. He is looking for VALUE for his membership and try as he (and I) might, we can't find any.

Comment

I'm amazed at all of this value for money analysis. When I turned 41, I became a Life Member of our National Sporting Federation, the CFC. I don't play rated chess, I don't attend the local chess club to which I pay my membership yearly and I play chess for fun 5 days a week. People should belong to the CFC to support chess in Canada. I thought the 90s was the "Me" decade.
      Last edited by Ken Craft; Friday, 19th September, 2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        I'm amazed at all of this value for money analysis. When I turned 41, I became a Life Member of our National Sporting Federation, the CFC. I don't play rated chess, I don't attend the local chess club to which I pay my membership yearly and I play chess for fun $5 a week. People should belong to the CFC to support chess in Canada. I thought the 90s was the "Me" decade.
        This is precisely the point I wanted to make to Bindi! So far he's just graduated from high school and already interested just in what CFC does not do for him. Of course, why should he care about giving back a little to the system where he became the player he is now, eh?...

"Apres moi, le deluge!" was a famous quote coming to mind! Sad really...

Comment

I don't think people should be sanctimonious about others who have misgivings about the CFC. For any organization to be sustainable, it has to give people a rational basis for supporting it.

ICC charges $60 per year. Big deal - $60 isn't much, but in any case the cost per hour for people who use it is pennies. So people pay.

For the CFC, the annual cost is less, but if people think they get nothing, or close to nothing, for the fee, they won't join.

I don't think telling people they're cheap or not supportive of chess will get them to support an organization that they think is useless.

Comment

As for sharing the love for correspondence chess, there are people who think it's meaningless because it is computer-assisted. But maybe computer-assisted chess is simply different, and there's a level playing field (since everyone can use computers). Then it isn't cheating - it's just different from chess.

There may be a future for correspondence s-chess, since the players would actually have to play it.

I can't comment on the quality of correspondence chess organization - that's completely distinct from what is being organized.

It is certainly ironic (but typical) that the complaints about the BCCF fees are coming from someone who is not from BC and knows nothing about BC chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Harper View Post
              correspondence s-chess
              What is that?
              Google says about 101,000 for "s-chess" but everything looks like a trash.

it's just different from chess.
              Why? If both side has similar conditions, I think it is fine.
              OTB - no external help during the game;
              CC - who cares what you use, my brain and CPU runs faster and better;
              computer+OTB - if there is enough players enjoying it, let it be :)
              Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Friday, 19th September, 2008, 03:33 PM.

Comment

The Hoary Old Argument! OTB vs. CC

Provocative comment about CCCA: The CCCA surely is an association of old farts, who haven't got the gonads to play OTB. Gary Ruben is an apt spokesman.[/QUOTE]

I always find it amusing when an OTB player considers OTB chess the real chess and chides those who currently only play CC. I don't think I have seen that argument in reverse.

There have been many VERY STRONG players in Canada who tried to play CC well in the past and did not do too well. And, I am talking about pre-computer times so those who denigrate CC won't use that as an excuse.

Only a few strong OTB players have been successful at CC like Duncan Suttles, Fedor Bohatirchuk, Jonathan Berry, Bob Kiviaho and Jean Hébert. Many more tried and fell by the wayside.

Of course, one could argue that it took too long, was boring or other reasons, but maybe they weren't up to the hard work required! Even semi-strong CC players who work harder than the strong players can beat the stronger OTB players at CC.

If memory serves me correctly, Duncan Suttles was one of the very first players to achieve a GM and a GMC title, rarely done in those days. It's too bad we can't hear from Duncan about his GMC title and his thoughts about that event. I would like to hear how much time he spent on his games and other "inside" information about his feelings as he was playing.

The last thing I want to do here is start another long boring series of posts back and forth on this topic, but occasionally, a post deserves a reply. It has previously been beaten to death!
                Last edited by Ken MacDonald; Friday, 19th September, 2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
                  This is precisely the point I wanted to make to Bindi! So far he's just graduated from high school and already interested just in what CFC does not do for him. Of course, why should he care about giving back a little to the system where he became the player he is now, eh?...

Perhaps I should reword what I said. What VALUE is the CFC doing for chess in Canada? I would say NOTHING. Local TD/clubs promote chess, all the CFC does is hold a ratings database. sending a team does Nothing to promote chess to the average player/public. Not only does the CFC do nothing for average players, it does nothing for Chess in Canada. I have no problem donating to causes that I believe in. But i detest paying the 'cfc tax' when I see absolutely no results. Atleast before I got a nice magazine and news on Canadian players... as the saying goes 'you can put lipstick on a pig... but it is still a pig'.

Comment

"S-chess" is the abbreviation for "Seirawan chess", in which two additional pieces are used: a knight-bishop and a knight-rook. They are introduced on a normal board when one of the original pieces is developed.

It makes opening theory obsolete and there are no chess engines to consult. In other words, it's chess as it was meant to be played - the players have to think and be creative.

I think it is more interesting and enjoyable than the current version of chess. A number of others agree, including some GMs.

http://www.seirawanchess.com/

Comment

Duncan Suttles spent a great deal of time on his correspondence games. I know, because I was there for quite a bit of it. Essentially he analyzed each game as a series of adjourned positions, and saw quite deeply into them. Of course many of his opponents were completely at sea, being drawn into positions which they hadn't previously considered.

I think many OTB players fail at correspondence chess (even apart from the computer issue) because it's so boring. The game take too long. I much prefer one-minute chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Harper View Post
                        Duncan Suttles spent a great deal of time on his correspondence games. I know, because I was there for quite a bit of it. Essentially he analyzed each game as a series of adjourned positions, and saw quite deeply into them. Of course many of his opponents were completely at sea, being drawn into positions which they hadn't previously considered.

I think many OTB players fail at correspondence chess (even apart from the computer issue) because it's so boring. The game take too long. I much prefer one-minute chess.
                        You've stated elsewhere that the field is equal for all of todays players, in your opinion.

Given that is your view AND you state Suttles did all that, why would you suppose I would have to do less to compete favourably against players on the same board that Suttles played? I've lost track of the number of times I've stayed up till 3 and 4 in the morning so I can analyse is complete silence.

If you were there, as you say, did you give him any input? I never allow anyone to be around when I analyse because people have a hard time not commenting on games.

From your description of S-Chess it sounds like fairy chess. Yuck!!!

I've always thought the reason OTB players fail at correspondence chess is that they lack self discipline and don't have a basic understand of the material they are playing. Some may lack the time. It takes a certain work ethic to play 40 to 50 games at a time and play them well.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Suttles' CC Analysis....

Do you remember how he kept track of his analysis? Notes, Book-UP or something else? Or, maybe nothing since he analyzed each new move received as an adjourned game?

Do you know why he decided to play this event? His heritage? (Was there a Finnish background there somewhere?)

Thanks!

Comment

A question for you , Ken -- would you get a life membership today, knowing what you know now? I made a response to an earlier post whereby I would get more bang for my buck if I would donate my membership each year -- at least, I would get a tax receipt.

By the way, I spend money -- I usually go out one night every couple of weeks with my wife at a fancy restaurant. I think nothing of dropping a C note on a good meal. At least I am getting something for it.

It is not about ME. I have donated time and money to local chess here. It is about the CFC and what it doesn't do for the majority of people.

Joe

Comment

Would I Become a Life Member of the CFC?

No, and I have considered it for a long time, off and on. I have always been annoyed that a CFC Life Membership would still require me to pay provincial fees yearly even with a Life Membership. I am a Life Member of the CCCA though.

My choice, instead, was to subscribe to the magazine directly and not be a member at all. I have played only CC since the late 60s (Oops! I am giving my longevity away!) with the exception of a single event at the Scarborough Chess Club, god knows when that was, somewhere back in the early 70s! I can't even recall if I had to become a member to play in that. I have not even played CC in 7-8 years, just can't be bothered to make the effort. I still collect chess publications and support chess in other ways occasionally.

I am a member now, though. I will be one next year also. This is one way to support chess in Canada in addition to doing so in other ways.

Comment

Why don't we create a Provincial/ Territory rating system on the same lines as the CFC . Then we just pay our Provincial /Territory membership dues (in ONT right now is $7 in think may change in 2009) The Provincial and Territory can set up websites and have bulletins that report Local and Regional events. (This is already done by some people ie Mr Wright in BC and Mr Armstrong in Ontario.) Have the games rated for a fee. Then we can play rated chess within our own areas and if we want to play in a different area we just have to come up with the Provincial / Territory membership fee.
                                Much smaller than joining the CFC and much more practical.
                                If we want to play in the National Championship then we pay the CFC Membership fees. This will tell the CFC that the Provinces/Territories want their memberships to stay in their areas and not let them hold back our memberships dues to pay for debits that the Provinces/Territories did not create.

If the Provincial/Territory Organizations join together and not let the CFC push them around, then we the little chess players will have a vote that will allow our governors to go to the CFC and voice a membership opinion not a puppet group with proxies.

The CFC should run Chess for the better of Chess . Provinical/Territory Organizations should run chess for the goodness of the players instead of the other way around.
                                John R. Brown

Comment

Working...
                                X