Xu, Haizhou (2065)
    Perelman, Leon (1980)

Team B:
    Kim, Bill (1978)
    Kleinman, Robert (1928)
    Davidson, Benjamin (1849)
    George, William (1784)

Looks like they used USCF ratings for seeding :$

Team A crushed Reed College 4.0 Round 1(1475 average rating), then got crushed in turn by second seed U of Maryland, Baltimore (average rating 2585!!)

Team B got paired up round 1 against 4th seed U of Texas Tech. A (2487!) to whom they ceded 4 points. In Round 2 they faced U of Maryland College Park B (1310) who they beat 3 - 1.

Always a Yoyo event, but also one of the most fun!
    http://www.panamerican.wichessacadem...championships/

Re: Pan-Am Intercollegiate Team Championship

Round 3 is currently underway and can be followed live at MonRoi.
    Looks like they have the colours messed up... I would wager that Peng and Perelman are black.
    Last edited by Stuart Brammall; Tuesday, 28th December, 2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Pan-Am Intercollegiate Team Championship

Originally posted by Stuart Brammall View Post
      University of Toronto Hart House Chess Club has sent its usual two teams:

Team A:
      Cheng, Bindi (2381)
      Peng, David (2194)
      Xu, Haizhou (2065)
      Perelman, Leon (1980)

Team B:
      Kim, Bill (1978)
      Kleinman, Robert (1928)
      Davidson, Benjamin (1849)
      George, William (1784)

Looks like they used USCF ratings for seeding :$

Team A crushed Reed College 4.0 Round 1(1475 average rating), then got crushed in turn by second seed U of Maryland, Baltimore (average rating 2585!!)

Team B got paired up round 1 against 4th seed U of Texas Tech. A (2487!) to whom they ceded 4 points. In Round 2 they faced U of Maryland College Park B (1310) who they beat 3 - 1.

Always a Yoyo event, but also one of the most fun!

Wow! Those American teams are packed.

Does anyone know if they give scholarships at those universities?

Comment

Of course they do.
        i rep back 3+

Comment

I believe that all the schools with 2/2 have some sort of chess scholarship program... Stanford, the top seeded team with 1 out of 2 (there are currently no teams with 1.5) does not as far as I know.

Comment

Scholarships?

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
            Of course they do.
            Am I alone in reading this simple response as disdainful, almost as if the addition, "You idiot!" is inferred? Or is it just me? :)

Comment

Toronto A went 4 - 0 again in round three against U of Maryland, College Park A (1924).

Comment

Hi,

Pretty hot start.
                Bizarre combination of ratings they used, but at least they finally realized down there that taking our ratings and adding points was a ridiculous idea.

Universities that get Chess Scholarships include:
                - Maryland Baltimore (UMBC) - Charbonneau I believe played for their team before.
                - Texas Dallas (UTD) - have a huge program in addition with kids' chess as well.
                The above two I think have done this for a while, in addition:
                - Texas Brownsville (UTB) - hosted it last year, recently got a huge team, and took some former UTD players last year.
                - Texas Tech - about 3-4 years ago they got Susan Polgar as their coach.
                - Miami Dade College (although a College, in terms of students enrolled is about 3 times the size of UT) -- I don't think they have scholarships, but from the Pan-Am meeting last year I gathered they have some serious coaching from a GM who at some point played for them.

I am happy to see that West Indies are back :-) The only other non-American team who's been competing in the past few years. They're from Barbados and although I doubt they get any scholarships, they have some program or some aficionado on staff who's been promoting chess there. They do travel with at least one representative from their University.

The rest of the teams, are more or less the way we treat our own Canadian version of Intercollegiate Championship. They find 4 guys from the university chess club, get a document from their school and get on the bus. In a few cases the students end up paying for the whole thing out of their pockets.
                There's is quite the contrast between professional and amateur teams at the Pan-Ams.
                - in-sync chess team polo shirts that change daily versus borrowed pajamas after luggage misplaced on flight
                - arrival 2 days early, well-rested teams versus frantically calling the organizer asking for a Round 1 bye due to a snow-storm
                - organized, catered or ordered-in meals versus trolling around the city for 2 hours around midnight until finally getting revenge on the hotel's vending machines

Round 3 games are on monroi, could not find other rounds.
                Any word where it'll be next year?
                Hopefully in the Caribbean :-)
                Go U-Toronto!

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                  - in-sync chess team polo shirts that change daily versus borrowed pajamas after luggage misplaced on flight
                  - arrival 2 days early, well-rested teams versus frantically calling the organizer asking for a Round 1 bye due to a snow-storm
                  - organized, catered or ordered-in meals versus trolling around the city for 2 hours around midnight until finally getting revenge on the hotel's vending machines
                  You forgot the matching "UTD Chess" suit jackets... talk about intimidation.

On another matter...

I predict a match up between Toronto A and UTD's all girl C team in round 5.
                  Good luck gentlemen.

;)

Comment

Incorrect Stuart, shame
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Oh well, better luck next year...

Comment

Congrats to U-Toronto at the Pan-Ams!

One the best results in recent years, the A team tying for 4th place with 4.0/6
                        A reasonable tiebreak as the matches won by UToronto were 4-0, 4-0, 4-0, 3-1, while losing 0-4 twice.
                        U-Toronto B team finished with 2.0/6, which is decent given the competition.

Toronto A lost only to UMBC (GM Kritz, GM Erenburg, GM Margvelashvili and IM Kaplan) and to Texas Tech (GM Kuljavesic, GM Diamant, GM Bykhovsky and IM Sipos) --- certain teams are definitely a bit much!

Apparently next Pan-Ams will go back to Dallas, Texas.
                        Standings:

Many games found on monroi.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                          Congrats to U-Toronto at the Pan-Ams!

One the best results in recent years, the A team tying for 4th place with 4.0/6
                          A reasonable tiebreak as the matches won by UToronto were 4-0, 4-0, 4-0, 3-1, while losing 0-4 twice.
                          Alex F.
                          Team picture and many more..
                          ________
                          Lovely Wendie99
                          Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 9th May, 2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Re: Scholarships?

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                            Am I alone in reading this simple response as disdainful, almost as if the addition, "You idiot!" is inferred? Or is it just me? :)
                            It could be read either way, but since I don't know Kevin Me I can't say. It appears that several US schools have been offering scholarships for a few years now. It is well known in certain circles.

Comment

Re: Scholarships?

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
                              It is well known in certain circles.
                              Chess Life had published a list of universities which offer scholarships (at least several years ago on regular bases) .

Comment

Working...
                              X