Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Predictions

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Just in case it isn't obvious, awarding the match prize fund by ratio means, for example, that if the fund total were only $600, and a player won the match 5-1, the winner would get $500 and the loser would get $100.
    Personally, I think you're being a Dick, if you don't mind the observation.

If Kevin came to do simuls or lectures in Canada the hall would likely be full. If it was Toronto even I'd attend. I don't travel these days so other cities are out for me.

This is actually a pretty good time of year. The hockey games. On a correspondence message board, where I like to, errr..., discuss with a Swedish "friend", I am having some fun with the Junior championship. After Sweden beat the Canadian junior team, which he enjoyed, Canada will now play the gold medal game and Sweden will have the task of beating the U.S. for the bronze. I needled him after the last Olympics because Sweden went from the Olympic gold to missing out on the Bronze while Canada took the gold, if you recall.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Personally, I think you're being a Dick, if you don't mind the observation.
      That's alright. I'm willing to write some posts out of character (mostly) to give K.S. some flak, hardly like the kind he gives to some other people. I'll try to remember to not post any K.S. prediction next year, since apparently K.S. still has fans.

This is actually a pretty good time of year. The hockey games. On a correspondence message board, where I like to, errr..., discuss with a Swedish "friend", I am having some fun with the Junior championship. After Sweden beat the Canadian junior team, which he enjoyed, Canada will now play the gold medal game and Sweden will have the task of beating the U.S. for the bronze. I needled him after the last Olympics because Sweden went from the Olympic gold to missing out on the Bronze while Canada took the gold, if you recall.
      Indeed, I could have predicted our juniors would win the gold this year, but that would be too easy.
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Tuesday, 4th January, 2011, 03:39 PM.
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

If Kevin came to do simuls or lectures in Canada the hall would likely be full. If it was Toronto even I'd attend. I don't travel these days so other cities are out for me.
        And the Leafs sell all the seats too... means nothing more than people in Toronto will buy anything - including crap.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Indeed, I could have predicted our juniors would win the gold this year, but that would be too easy.
          I didn't exactly predict our juniors would win the gold, although, I hope they do. I was simply doing some needling to keep up foreign relations.

Now I'm working on an invention. I don't want to walk the dogs in the cold weather. Beware always comes back when she gets out. The little Bichon Frise never does. So, I'm thinking of rigging the leash so one end is on Beware's collar and the other end on the small dog's collar. Then Beware can walk the Bichon Frise.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Now I'm working on an invention. I don't want to walk the dogs in the cold weather. Beware always comes back when she gets out. The little Bichon Frise never does. So, I'm thinking of rigging the leash so one end is on Beware's collar and the other end on the small dog's collar. Then Beware can walk the Bichon Frise.
            One of my friends recently has introduced his daughter's 2 adult indoor cats (mother & daughter) to his home, where he's had his own adult female cat. Seems to be working out fairly well so far, though they tend to poach each other's food & water. The mother & daughter cat tend to stick together.

I predicted the Liberals would win provincially this year (though only with a minority government as the outcome). Yes, I think Ontario voters are collectively that dumb. And/or the Cons will shoot themselves in the foot, again.

Comment

I predicted the Liberals would win provincially this year (though only with a minority government as the outcome). Yes, I think Ontario voters are collectively that dumb. And/or the Cons will shoot themselves in the foot, again.
              I've kind of been expecting McGuinty to step down before the end of March so they can have a leadership convention. I thought Toronto was pretty solidly Liberal but Smitherman couldn't win as mayor. That went to Ford and his right wing cost cutting agenda. If the provincial Cons promise to remove the HST from gasoline and utility bills the outcome will likely be a no brainer.

I suspect if there is a federal election this year it will come probably in May. Just after the Victoria Day long weekend so the workers will be able to do the final push when people are feeling happy. The federal liberals won't likely want to hold it much closer to the Ontario election where the lines between federal and provincial liberals will blur so if it's not in the spring they'll have to suck it up till next year.

I'm not predicting this stuff. These days I don't much care who wins. However, I will vote for the one who will cost me the least.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

devils go on a tear starting tonight, defying all odds by making the playoffs and winning the stanley cup

stephanie lemieux turns 16 and she and sidney crosby publicly announce that they are dating
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

I've kind of been expecting McGuinty to step down before the end of March so they can have a leadership convention. I thought Toronto was pretty solidly Liberal but Smitherman couldn't win as mayor. That went to Ford and his right wing cost cutting agenda. If the provincial Cons promise to remove the HST from gasoline and utility bills the outcome will likely be a no brainer.

I suspect if there is a federal election this year it will come probably in May. Just after the Victoria Day long weekend so the workers will be able to do the final push when people are feeling happy. The federal liberals won't likely want to hold it much closer to the Ontario election where the lines between federal and provincial liberals will blur so if it's not in the spring they'll have to suck it up till next year.

I'm not predicting this stuff. These days I don't much care who wins. However, I will vote for the one who will cost me the least.
                  Another thing that could work in favour of the provincial Liberals is if Ford utterly flops as Toronto mayor even before the Ontario election. Then Toronto voters might take it out on the provincial Cons.

So far the provincial Cons are making no substantial promises. I kind of suspect they think they can win without making many. They may want to keep all their options open as far as obtaining revenue from Ontario taxpayers goes. Meanwhile they have to deal with occasional infighting, which gives the Liberals an opening, besides bringing up the ghost of Mike Harris' government.

A federal election will of course take more than one party to force, unless it's done by the Cons.

I may be going to Cuba with friends in May for a tournament/vacation. If K.S. happens to be there (in Havana), we'd be playing in different sections. We might then end up exchanging pleasantries, but I suspect we'd merely co-exist. Last time we met about a decade ago (in Ottawa) he was much more civil than his online presence today might suggest. At least until I told him I'd thought of sending our old game (the score of which I gave to him) to be annotated in the old 'Master's Forum' of the CFC magazine. He blurted out "You bastard!", and then we both smiled. :)

Comment

1) Flash will bust back in February, and proceed to win at least two golds this year.

2) Flash will also massacre everyone in the winner's league, and KT will stop sucking and rise in the ranks.

3) The "STANLEY CUP FINALS" will be Vancouver vs Philadelphia. Vancouver will win. -_-;

4) Timothy Thomas Jr. will win the Vezina.

5) Daniel Sedin will hit 40 goals.

6) I will play in one chess tournament.

7) Wong Kar Wai will finally release another good movie.

8) I'll watch at least 200 movies.

9) I'll finally get an iPod, so I won't have to listen to long lectures about a movie I'M ABOUT TO SEE at the Cinematheque.

10) I'll get jacked.

Comment

200 movies is paltry. you are a bad person and are going to hell
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                        I highly doubt that... he is an embarrassment to Canadian chess and the only thing that would 'make me proud' is if he would stop using the Canadian flag and get his title transferred. The man is a first rate asshole.
                        In the interest of balance, this is what GM Suba had to say about Kevin in the first chapter of his new edition of Dynamic Chess Strategy:

"The former candidate, GM and GP (i.e.
                        a representative of an endangered spe -
                        cies called Gentlemanibus Professionalis)
                        Kevin Spraggett ..."

Comment

I'm glad I didn't make that prediction official. I only saw our 3-0 lead in the gold medal game, after two periods, in my crystal ball. Didn't see that we'd choke up 5 goals in the third period.:(

Comment

I'm glad I didn't make that prediction official. I only saw our 3-0 lead in the gold medal game, after two periods, in my crystal ball. Didn't see that we'd choke up 5 goals in the third period.:(
                            Well... I guess the silver is better than what Sweden got.

The team is not entirely to blame. I think the coach was brutal.

After the second goal in 11 seconds he didn't change the goal tender. The team appeared to be playing "kitty bar the door" and scrambled around in their own end. The nice offensive play and passing of the first two periods appeared to be absent. It was like they were trying to stop shots on goal and it didn't work.

Russia did this to Sweden in their previous game so vigorous play in the third period should not have been a surprise. Those Russians really kicked butt!
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well... I guess the silver is better than what Sweden got.

The team is not entirely to blame. I think the coach was brutal.

After the second goal in 11 seconds he didn't change the goal tender. The team appeared to be playing "kitty bar the door" and scrambled around in their own end. The nice offensive play and passing of the first two periods appeared to be absent. It was like they were trying to stop shots on goal and it didn't work.

Russia did this to Sweden in their previous game so vigorous play in the third period should not have been a surprise. Those Russians really kicked butt!
                              I agree they should have pulled the goalie after the 2nd goal (not that it was entirely his fault, but at that point you need a big change of attitude and a time-out would not be sufficient for that purpose...). It is like they forgot there are 3 periods in the game! Silver is not too shabby, but when all the hype is about Gold or nothing, it might as well be nothing...

IF you were a team like Norway, with no medal expectations, a medal would take on whole new meaning. I guess it is all about managing expectations... the Canadian media (and hence, most of the fans) concentrate on winning or nothing (another phrasing is "own the podium" - remember that? That makes any sort of failure rather devastating.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

If the provincial Cons promise to remove the HST from gasoline and utility bills the outcome will likely be a no brainer.
                                The provincial NDP just promised to remove the HST from hydro bills (if the Liberals don't do it first). Already the Cons' thunder is being stolen...

With the ghost of the Bob Rae government, there's no chance the NDP will return to power anytime soon. Still, they'll be in the picture if the Liberals have to settle for a minority.

McGuinty is a crafty s.o.b. when it comes to election campaigns. Don't be surprised if he drops the HST from 13% before the vote, for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X