X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Predictions

Here's my predictions for 2011:

Chess Predictions:

1) Bob Gillanders will decide to run again as CFC President, and be comfortably re-elected.

2) CFC Membership will be up at the start of May, but not reach as high a total as 2000 members.

3) The CFC will not lose buckets of money, but nor will it gain much.

4) The Ontario Chess Association will be widely seen as a positive force for chess in the province, after years of irrelevance at best.

5) NJF [retired Ottawa organizer Neil James Frarey] will resurface and somehow participate in the Ottawa chess scene by the end of the year.

6) Kevin Spraggett's FIDE rating will be less at the end of 2011 than at the start.

Non-Chess Predictions:

7) Neither Isreal nor the USA will premptively attack Iran.

8) War will not break out on the Korean Peninsula.

9) There will not be a Federal Election in Canada.

10) The Ontario Liberal Party will win the provincial election, but will only have a minority government.

11) Sarah Palin will run for President of the United States.

12) The average global temperature will not rise in 2011.

How did my last year's predictions turn out?
    Here's the analysis of them :

"My 2010 predictions (as I've posted on the stagnant OCC message board):

Posted on January 1, 2010 at 03:21:18 PM by Kevin Pacey

I'm a day late, but here are my predictions for 2010:

Chess Predictions:

1) NJF [semi-retired Ottawa Organizer Neil James Frarey] may be down, but he is not out. Expect him to sort things thru and launch a revamped OCC message board by the end of the year.

2) Alas, NJF will decide not to run for CFC President this year;

3) Eric Van Dusen will be comfortably re-elected as CFC President;

4) The CFC will not get a new website;

5) The CFC will not lose buckets of money, but nor will it gain much;

6) The EOCA will remain affiliated with the useless Ontario Chess Association;

7) Kevin Spraggett's FIDE rating will be less at the end of 2010 than at the start;

Non-Chess Predictions:

8) Neither the US nor Isreal will premptively strike Iran;

9) The current US President will regain most of his lost popularity, as measured by the polls, by the end of 2010;

10) Because a Health Care bill will pass, the US Congress will remain in Democrat hands in the 2010 Congressional elections, but they will no longer have a filibuster-proof Senate (i.e. 60+ votes);

11) There will be a Federal election in Canada. The Cons will have a strengthened minority as a result, and Iggy will not remain leader of the Grits for long at all afterwards. Jack Layton will continue as NDP leader;

12) The average global temperature will not rise in 2010. Ocean acidification is the next big scare on the horizon."

#1: Wrong. NJF didn't come back to the chess scene (a new OCC message board was launched, but not by him, after the old one expired).

#2: Right.

#3: Wrong. Eric didn't run again to be CFC Prez.

#4: Right. The CFC may get a new website still, but not by tonight :).

#5: Right.

#6: Right.

#7: Right. K.S. finishes 2010 with a 2575 FIDE rating, down from January 2010's rating of 2586.

#8: Right.

#9: Perhaps too close to call. Obama rode higher than in much of 2010 in CNN's last poll, after his last-minute December 2010 legislative victories in the lame duck Congress.

#10: Basically wrong. My only claim to correctness was that a Health Bill was actually passed, but that was perhaps a formality, along with the fact that the Democrats ended up keeping control of (just) the Senate, without a Filibuster-proof majority.

#11: Wrong.

#12: Wrong. The Average Global temperature for 2010 on land & sea surface rose 0.36 C from the 1971-2000 average, according to one December report I saw a link to. Also, there is as yet not a serious panic/awareness about Ocean Acidification.

My total score: 6 correct predictions and 5 wrong predictions plus 1 unsettled result.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 31st December, 2010, 08:32 PM.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: 2011 Predictions

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post

#9: Perhaps too close to call. Obama rode higher than in much of 2010 in CNN's last poll, after his last-minute December 2010 legislative victories in the lame duck Congress.
    Obama's performance was the main reason for most of the loses in the mid term elections. It's the poll which counts.

As an example, he didn't deliver on bread and butter issues such as jobs.

Now by buying 50 Billion or more per month in treasuries, he will prevent an auction default and fund the deficit. It should also keep interest rates low. A plus going into the new year.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: 2011 Predictions-More

-Someone will complain about Canadian Open pairings
      -William Yuan will be hired to give CMAs website a massive overhaul
      -Chess in the Library program will flourish
      -ChessplayersYapAboutClimateChange.com will be formed
      -Another Canadian will get the GM title
      -BC will win the CYCC
      -Canadian Closed will make someone unhappy
      -Noone will care about correspondance chess
      -More Polls on whatever
      -Kovalchuk might get 50pts
      -Canucks win the Stanley cup
      -Top CFC rating goes above 2800
      -There will be more underated juniors pissing people off
      -Noone will thank any organizer
      -Carlsen gives a simul in Ottawa
      -Aronian wins World Championship
      -US economy continues to tank
      -Starting Out Chess books average length rises to 300pages
      -Jeff Coakley writes another nice book
      -Spezza gets traded. Iginla too
      -French Winawer becomes massively popular
      -Eric Hansen gets a GM norm
      -CFC 2500 rating gets you in the top 50
      -Celtics crush Heat in NBA playoffs
      -Eagles win Superbowl-Vick gets MVP but no dog
      -Music videos remain senseless
      -Steven Wright gets a pat on the back for the BCCF bulletin
      -Adults realize they're mostly overrated
      -US troops come back from Afghanistan/Iraq and realize nothing has changed
      -The earth makes it around the sun again and some people have a happy new year..then more fireworks go off and we start again. Everyone gets another $200.

Happy new year

Michael Yip

Comment

Perhaps you should all read Dan Gardner's Future Babble. He makes a compelling case that predictions are a mug's game; the worst predicters are the experts; and the very worst are the ones who get the most media/public/investor attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
          Perhaps you should all read Dan Gardner's Future Babble. He makes a compelling case that predictions are a mug's game; the worst predicters are the experts; and the very worst are the ones who get the most media/public/investor attention.
          When I used to work in a grocery store, there were some sports betters that would bet on like 10+ games at a time, often picking ties as well. You had to get all the results right to win the wager, but the payout was often $1000+ for a $10 or $20 wager, if I remember correctly.

I always wondered how these people made their picks.... Did they use 'skill' and research, it was it completely random. Intuitively, I think this approach to sports betting likely makes a lot of sense, but you would be losing a heck of a lot more then you would be winning, and I'd imagine that you would need to make a lot of bets and have a lot of capital to ever make money doing this. It would probably be agonizing to follow the results too, imagine being off 1 game on a bet like that, enough to drive you crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic Haynes View Post
            When I used to work in a grocery store, there were some sports betters that would bet on like 10+ games at a time, often picking ties as well. You had to get all the results right to win the wager, but the payout was often $1000+ for a $10 or $20 wager, if I remember correctly.

I always wondered how these people made their picks.... Did they use 'skill' and research, it was it completely random.
            The times I went to the lottery office to collect there were always lots of others there. It was for wins over $300, as I recall. I stopped playing when the took basketball off the lotto which is quite a few years ago.

There was a paper I used to buy at the store which gave power rankings for the basketball teams. I forget the name of the publication. Anyhow, I used the power rankings to predict the outcome. I'd buy two tickets every time with 3 or 4 picks. One tie and two or three wins. When they pulled the basketball off the betting sheet, I stopped playing because I lost my edge. Hockey and baseball are too unpredictable for me.

Some guys used to pick a couple of "sure thing" winners. Then they would build tickets with combinations of 3 or 4 more teams winning, losing and tieing. I always thought a person could go broke doing that.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              The times I went to the lottery office to collect there were always lots of others there. It was for wins over $300, as I recall. I stopped playing when the took basketball off the lotto which is quite a few years ago.

There was a paper I used to buy at the store which gave power rankings for the basketball teams. I forget the name of the publication. Anyhow, I used the power rankings to predict the outcome. I'd buy two tickets every time with 3 or 4 picks. One tie and two or three wins. When they pulled the basketball off the betting sheet, I stopped playing because I lost my edge. Hockey and baseball are too unpredictable for me.

Some guys used to pick a couple of "sure thing" winners. Then they would build tickets with combinations of 3 or 4 more teams winning, losing and tieing. I always thought a person could go broke doing that.
              Nothing is a sure thing in sports betting :D. I used to bet a bit on hockey, but it wasn't easy, and there is a lot of parity in the NHL these days.

Comment

I stopped playing because I lost my edge. Hockey and baseball are too unpredictable for me.

Probably more likely to go broke thinking you ever had an "edge".

Comment

I didn't make any resolutions this year. Maybe one or two will still come to me.

I don't like predicting other people's ratings.

The ICCF has published the ratings for the first quarter of 2011. I notice my rating has dropped 3 points to 2425. I guess those young under rated guys are sharks. I won 2 games and drew 3 games in the period, yet my rating dropped. I guess I'll have to find some high category event and kick some butt to get the rating back up.

You know how chess goes. A player is only as good as his last placing.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I didn't make any resolutions this year. Maybe one or two will still come to me.

I don't like predicting other people's ratings.

The ICCF has published the ratings for the first quarter of 2011. I notice my rating has dropped 3 points to 2425. I guess those young under rated guys are sharks. I won 2 games and drew 3 games in the period, yet my rating dropped. I guess I'll have to find some high category event and kick some butt to get the rating back up.

You know how chess goes. A player is only as good as his last placing.
                    I used to find this time of year duller, without making any resolutions or predictions.

Over the years, K.S. has had sport, both fair and foul, with plenty of people. I'm sure my little prediction will be like water off a duck's back. If it isn't, it'll give him incentive to prove me wrong, which may also make Canadian chess players proud.

Comment

I used to find this time of year duller, without making any resolutions or predictions.

Over the years, K.S. has had sport, both fair and foul, with plenty of people. I'm sure my little prediction will be like water off a duck's back. If it isn't, it'll give him incentive to prove me wrong, which may also make Canadian chess players proud.
                      I highly doubt that... he is an embarrassment to Canadian chess and the only thing that would 'make me proud' is if he would stop using the Canadian flag and get his title transferred. The man is a first rate asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                        I highly doubt that... he is an embarrassment to Canadian chess and the only thing that would 'make me proud' is if he would stop using the Canadian flag and get his title transferred. The man is a first rate asshole.
                        ROTFLMAO

I believe I can guess his next blog topic... kudos Jason,
                        for calling it like you see it.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                          In the past on chesstalk, I've taken a slightly higher road than that, merely refering to K.S. as a sociopath. :)

I doubt he'd accept, but in case K.S. has any feelings to hurt, maybe some sponsor(s) can set up a grudge match between us, to be played in Ottawa.

I can see it now...

A six game match. TC: Game in 90 minutes plus 30 second increments. K.S. and I both put up $300 Canadian towards the match prize fund (plus anything the sponsor(s) kick in), to be awarded to the players in a ratio according to the final score. Thus the match must go the distance, even if one of us has 3.5 points before game six. The match must start and finish before 21 December, 2012.

Some trash talk to stir up interest?!

"Yeah, I beat Spraggett the only game I've played him, when I was more than 500 points lower rated".

"Yeah, I play better when someone ticks me off".

"Yeah, I'll give Spraggett's king a spanking".

Before or after the match, K.S. could sweeten his take by delivering a simul and lectures.

Like I said, I doubt he'd be interested, mainly since I can't afford to pay more for my stake. The thought was fun anyway. :)

Comment

K.S. and I both put up $300 Canadian towards the match prize fund (plus anything the sponsor(s) kick in), to be awarded to the players in a ratio according to the final score. Thus the match must go the distance, even if one of us has 3.5 points before game six.
                            Just in case it isn't obvious, awarding the match prize fund by ratio means, for example, that if the fund total were only $600, and a player won the match 5-1, the winner would get $500 and the loser would get $100.

Comment

Just in case it isn't obvious, awarding the match prize fund by ratio means, for example, that if the fund total were only $600, and a player won the match 5-1, the winner would get $500 and the loser would get $100.
                              i have a prediction for 2011...no Pacey-Spraggett match :)

Comment

Working...
                              X