Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    And then another viewpoint. 500-600$ to play in an Open tournament with a couple of top players and lots of weak juniors, and a small chance to earn a trip (probably not fully funded) to India by yourself like a pauper of the third world, unless a member of your family or a friend is willing to spend another 4000$ of his own money to go with you and keep you company.
    But since that Mr Gillanders has announced that "a few sponsors" have been found, we are looking forward for significant improvements to the original announcement.
    Jean - again you assume facts not in evidence.

Our sponsors contributions have already been included in the budget. Our announced prize fund is generous compared to recent years. If new sponsors materialize, then great.

The top prize of $2,000 will more than cover the airfare of about $1,400, and I believe the organizers in India will be paying for accommodations. (to be confirmed).

Don't forget we also have a second prize for top girl who will also be representing Canada in India. 100% of the girls entry fees (max $2,000) will be returned as prizes. I don't know the last time this was ever offered.

But Jean, you are correct. If parents, siblings, family members, coaches, personal trainers, friends, spiritual advisors, etc. want to accompany our champions to India, they pay their own way! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

... But Jean, you are correct. If parents, siblings, family members, coaches, personal trainers, friends, spiritual advisors, etc. want to accompany our champions to India, they pay their own way! :D
      Out of curiosity, say a fifteen-year-old wins the U20 and his parents decide to send him solo. Could the CFC be held liable if something happened?
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

100% of the girls entry fees (max $2,000) will be returned as prizes.
        Actually meaning less than 100%, and possibly even less than 50% if girls enter in abundance (say 15+). That line is far from being convincing.

But Jean, you are correct. If parents, siblings, family members, coaches, personal trainers, friends, spiritual advisors, etc. want to accompany our champions to India, they pay their own way! :D
        Why the grin ? From experience I know that a young player travelling by him(her)self to a foreign country cannot possibly perform up to his (her) potential and represent the country the way everybody is hoping for. Not only that but going through the whole thing without support can turn out to be a real ordeal which may have negative impact on the young player future development and interest in the game. So the accompanying person is not an option or a luxury, it is a must. And certainly not an issue worth a grin.

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Parents travel with their kids all the time, at their own expense. It is simply not in the budget for us to pay their accommodations. It is difficult to see why you can't understand that.

Now if you were willing to sponsors the winning kids parents, I am sure they would be very appreciative! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            Actually meaning less than 100%, and possibly even less than 50% if girls enter in abundance (say 15+). That line is far from being convincing.

Why the grin ? From experience I know that a young player travelling by him(her)self to a foreign country cannot possibly perform up to his (her) potential and represent the country the way everybody is hoping for. Not only that but going through the whole thing without support can turn out to be a real ordeal which may have negative impact on the young player future development and interest in the game. So the accompanying person is not an option or a luxury, it is a must. And certainly not an issue worth a grin.
            I did that in 2006 when I was 15 and I lost my luggage. The people were nice and most of them spoke english (in Armenia) My roomate (Yuriy Kry) lent me some clothes and it was a wonderful experience. I'm pretty sure that was the event that made me a helluvalot stronger. Maybe some people can't take travelling on their own but being able to do that by yourself really makes you a stronger person. I mean, as long as the kid travelling there by himself isn't mentally handicapped, he's not going to get lost and gets depressed while losing a few games at the Juniors. India as far as I know is a frequent destination for outsourcing IT and other business functions because of their superior understanding of english compared to other countries. Parents are much too protective of their kids and letting them go to a foreign country for a little bit will most likely not stunt their development but actually let them grow up in a way. Of course I'm not a parent so this view is probably controversial.
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Hi all,

When I was a junior I represented my country at a world chess festival in Puerto Rico. I got to meet Danny King while he was still an IM. He was the coach for the English contingent at the time. I went with another friend of mine. We were deemed the two strongest players in our country at the time(Trinidad and Tobago, if you are curious) worthy of representation. I was sponsored the airfare. Dang, I really appreciated that. I figure when you get an apple for a gift, dont demand the whole tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                I did that in 2006 when I was 15...
                In 1993(or 1995?) I was on my own (In my early 30s) having quite a chess adventure when I by chance met an Israeli kid (14) travelling on his own not just for the event but for the whole summer through Europe..

I was shocked...

However, I would be against young girls traveling alone to certain countries(Libya etc) and any kid traveling to Mexico for a tournament given their current drug war situation.

Michael Yip

Comment

Parents travel with their kids all the time, at their own expense. It is simply not in the budget for us to pay their accommodations. It is difficult to see why you can't understand that.

Now if you were willing to sponsors the winning kids parents, I am sure they would be very appreciative! :D
                  Sending people to FIDE events in decent conditions is the CFC's job. They are representing the CFC and canadian chess. It is also difficult to see why you can't understand the CFC's duties and responsibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    Parents are much too protective of their kids and letting them go to a foreign country for a little bit will most likely not stunt their development but actually let them grow up in a way.
                    This is not what I was talking about. Of course there are many ways (pleasant and unpleasant) to grow up as a person, travelling being of them. The kind of growing up that matters here is chess related. A player of any age but even more so a young player can hardly concentrate on his games when he has to deal by himself with the worries related to traveling to a foreign country. This is the ingredient for a disappointing chess experience when you feel that circumstances out of your control prevented you from giving your best shot. If the CFC's goal is simply to send kids away for them to have a life experience, maybe it should turn itself into a travel agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
                      In 1993(or 1995?) I was on my own (In my early 30s) having quite a chess adventure when I by chance met an Israeli kid (14) travelling on his own not just for the event but for the whole summer through Europe..
                      I was shocked...
                      In 1974 on my first trip overseas to the World cadet in France, the Israeli players was accompanied by two (!) bodyguards, one of them a "gorilla" with thick hair even on his back. Of course this was only two years after the Munich shooting. Nowadays Israelis apparently feel safer...

Comment

Hello everyone,

I would like to inform our talented juniors that 100 invitational letters were already sent out and 150 more to go! :D Juniors who received the letter and would like to participate please let me know through my email. Organizers would like to build pre-register list, before the tournament starts. My email is: mikhailegorov@gmail.com. I was at the Guelph Pro-Am this weekend and personally spoke to few juniors who already confirmed their participation. :)
                        Thank you and have a great dat.

Confirmed participants so far:
                        IM Nokilay Noritsyn
                        Roman Sapozhnikov
                        David Itkin
                        Yelizaveta Orlova

Comment

If interested I can find out a GM or an IM in India who can manage the kids travelling from Canada so parents do not have to go. The kids will be picked up at the airport by the GM and taken care of during the event.

When I sent Agastya to Turkey for the World School Event. He flew to India unaccompanied, where he met IM M Kunte then they flew to Turkey together. Mrunal Kunte took good care of Agastya. He had a wonderful experience. She did the same when she went to Greece for the WYCC with other kids.

During the summer holidays Agastya will be going to India unaccompanied and will also participate in this event. Mrunal Kunte is looking into if Agastya can tag along with the Indian Team but will be representing Canada.

Comment

Do we need to play in the Canadian Junior Championship to go to the World, as Agastya will be in India anyway during the holidays?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjiv Kalra View Post
                              Do we need to play in the Canadian Junior Championship to go to the World, as Agastya will be in India anyway during the holidays?
                              Well, of course the winners of the Canadian Junior Championship would be Canada's official representatives in India. With the added benefit of free accommodation from the Indian organizers (still trying to confirm that). But I can't see anyone objecting to additional Canadians entering the tournament on their own dime.

Nevertheless, I hope Agastya will consider the trip to Mississauga in April. :)

Comment

Well, of course the winners of the Canadian Junior Championship would be Canada's official representatives in India. With the added benefit of free accommodation from the Indian organizers (still trying to confirm that). But I can't see anyone objecting to additional Canadians entering the tournament on their own dime.

Nevertheless, I hope Agastya will consider the trip to Mississauga in April. :)
                                Hi Bob,

So basically, what you are saying is..."Cash is King"...regardless of ability?

My intent is not to be nasty...but chess organizations in Canada should and MUST determine criteria.

Example: In Ontario, for the Chess Challenge, thanks to Leslie Armstrong, you MUST qualify to play...no exceptions.

We must recognize and encourage excellence...and our National competitions should be real National events!

I truly appreciate your hard work. You are an asset to our community. Please do not take this as a negative comment.

I grew up in a poor area of Montreal...with great parents.

When I left home I taught chess (cool gig :) in a boy's & girl's club (Unity Club...since taken over by the Y I believe) in what is called lower Westmount...which basically serviced the St Henri community (today I believe that has changed dramatically).

Many bright kids born on the wrong side of the track.

I still hear from some of my students...they represent my best moments!

So what I am asking is that Canada support the top players in the country.

Period.

Those who have cash...use it to get better...but no free passes to world events.

I am working with others to give the necessary tools to those who have not...with talent...make it to the top.

This has been my dream for decades...Chess'n Math is something I am very proud of...BUT...at the end of the day we need money to pay the bills...what I am working at with others is to establish a foundation, something that will provide a life changing intervention...via chess...which has incredible benefits....for the youngster...and for...Canadian society!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X