Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

The Mississauga Chess Club is proud to host the
    Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011.

Place: University of Toronto Mississauga Campus
    Room 3141 Faculty Lounge 3rd Floor
    3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Ontario

Dates: April 21 -25, 2011 - Easter weekend (thursday-monday)

Format: Two sections - Open & Girls
    9 round swiss, max 3 byes
    90 minutes plus 30 second increments
    CFC and FIDE rated

Round times: Rd 1 - April 21, 6 pm
    Rd 2-9 - April 22 -25, 10am and 3pm

Prizes: Winners will represent Canada at the World Juniors in India.
    1st Open - $ 2,000 towards travel costs
    1st Girls - $ (girls entry fees paid) towards travel costs

Entry fee: $ 150 (early bird discount), $ 200 at the door.

Chief Organizer: Mikhail Egorov
    Organizing committee: Paul Roschman, Gordon Gooding, Bob Gillanders, Garvin Nunes

Further details soon. :)
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 8th February, 2011, 02:02 AM.

Re: Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Sounds like an Ontario Junior U20 championship, or even a Toronto Junior U20 championship. As usual there is nothing there to favor a decent attendance from out of town players, even less from other provinces. Once again a bare bone event that is "national" only by name.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Sounds like an Ontario Junior U20 championship, or even a Toronto Junior U20 championship. As usual there is nothing there to favor a decent attendance from out of town players, even less from other provinces. Once again a bare bone event that is "national" only by name.
      Have you any idea how hard it is to get to Mississauga (from, say, Whitby or Scarborough etc)... maybe this will be the Mississauga U20 championship!

Or we could have the same situation as the ECU:

"The European Chess Union has regretfully received information from the Turkish Chess Federation that the organization of the European Individual Women’s Championship in Gaziantep was canceled."

The point is that *everyone* under 20 in Canada (including PQ) is eligible to enter... how they get there, or whether they can, seems out of the hands of the organizers. If every organizer only had a tournament when the conditions and the prize fund and arrangements are perfect, there would be no tournaments at all.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        Golly Jean, where is this mystical location that is of equal distance from every junior in Canada!

or do you expect us to pick up the travel costs of every player?

Comment

Back in the 70's and 80's, it was known well in advance where the Junior would be played, and it was always played during the Christmas-New Years period, so that players could make arrangements well in advance (financially and for vacation time). And it was always a 10 or 12 player round-robin, and (almost always) the best players attended.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

... or do you expect us to pick up the travel costs of every player?
            The provincial champions of some of the provinces did have some of their expenses paid way back in the day by their provincial organizations when I was a junior. I don't recall paying an entry fee nor were there accommodation costs (normally billets or some hotel). Nowadays the national championships are not organized seriously and therefore many of the contenders don't bother to participate.

Don't worry, though. The CFC has cleverly managed to instill the idea into the young that qualifying for things is just silly and that conditions are a myth. This will pay big dividends when they are strong enough to play in the Canadian Closed and the idea of any sponsorship is just a thing of legend rather than a memory of better times.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Golly Jean, where is this mystical location that is of equal distance from every junior in Canada!

Someone with a little imagination could think of a couple of things to help out of town players to make the whole thing look like a national championship:
              - reduced entry fees according to distance travelled;
              - favorable accommodation rates.
              A modest amount of sponsorship would not hurt either but of course it is much easier to collect entry fees and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                If every organizer only had a tournament when the conditions and the prize fund and arrangements are perfect, there would be no tournaments at all.
                Nobody is asking for perfection, but for "national championships" a little meat over the bones is not too much to expect I hope.

Comment

Re : Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

I've got to admit that being a junior player, this tournament isn't interesting at all...
                  The entry fees are of 150$ (200$ on site!) and only 2000$ are given in prizes? Where does the money go? The Quebec junior championship offers 2500$ in prizes, with entry fees of 40$ http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?...ie=1&prvsl=oui ... And without any information on accomodation (probably pretty expensive), there won't be many people from the other provinces.

Without any doubt most of the players will be coming from the region, because spending at least 500-600$ for a tournament in which we only have a slight chance of winning 2000$ isn't the best deal ever.
                  Last edited by Felix Dumont; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

because usually there's only 10-20 kids interested in playing. let's say 15 kids show up and pay 150 each. That's only 2250 right there and then you have to cover rental fees, td fees, even cfc rating fees. 2000 guaranteed for first is pretty good. I remember they only offered 1000 guaranteed for WYCC winners. Don't kid yourself guys, the incentive is there, the weaker players, let's say 2000 and below should have no chance winning first but they come anyway cause they might get lucky. The stronger players nearby, let's say 2200+ are the only ones with legitimate shots of winning and so what's the big deal if it's not a national event? Atleast the kids who do show up are strong enough that the winner won't get slaughtered at the international stage. Jean, corporations will only sponsor the canadian open and I'm sure the people holding this event aren't doing this to make money. They're putting their time and effort into actually making it happen and unless one of the organizers has strong ties to someone famous, there's no reason to pressure them into making it better. Atleast it happened.
                    Last edited by Bindi Cheng; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 11:55 PM.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                      ...spending at least 500-600$ for a tournament in which we only have a slight chance of winning 2000$ isn't the best deal ever.
                      Felix - may I suggest a different viewpoint....

for $500-600+, I get to play in a tournament against some of the top juniors in Canada, with a chance to represent Canada at a major international chess tournament in India with 2 grand to cover my expenses! :)

Does that sound a little more appealing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                        They're putting their time and effort into actually making it happen and unless one of the organizers has strong ties to someone famous, there's no reason to pressure them into making it better. At least it happened.
                        Thanks Bindi. I will pass along your kind words to the team. I am happy to report we have found a few sponsors. No rich corporate sponsors, no rich celebrities, but a few wonderful people who wish us well. :)

Comment

Place: University of Toronto Mississauga Campus
                          Once I visited a campus - a lovely place.

Do you have any info about accommodations in the student campus or a guest house? (I'm not eligible to play, however someone will ask this sooner or later)

Comment

Bob, I have some helpful suggestions for the CFC regarding appropriate locations for future national-level tournaments. :)

The CFC might like to consider the following:

1) The geographic centre of Canada.
                            According to the Atlas of Canada, the geographic centre of Canada is is located just south of Yathkyed Lake in Nunavut, west of Hudson Bay (62 degrees 24 minutes North, 96 degrees 28 minutes West).

2) The mean centre of population.
                            In 1993, the mean population center of Canada was found to be in the Township of Laxton, Digby and Longford, Victoria County, now part of the city of Kawartha Lakes, Ontario. Since 1993, the West has grown considerably so I guess the mean centre of population is a little further north and west. After the next census, perhaps the CFC can encourage Statistics Canada to recalculate the mean centre of population.

I lean towards situating championships at the geographic centre of Canada since there won't be squabbles over the population statistics used to calculate the mean centre.

More seriously, chess is not the only sport that has to deal with Canada being a big country. In bicycle racing, the national championships move around the country based upon who is willing to do the hard work do organize the event. The best bicycle racers make their own way from wherever they live to the championships. The mid- and lower-level competitors tend to be more local to where the championships are. The organizers pay no support to the cyclists to attend the championships. Sometimes provincial cycling organizations give their top riders a bit of help. Sometimes a rider might have individual sponsorship. Most likely it just comes out of the rider's pocket. It's very helpful to have a large line of credit.

Chess and cycling are both minor-league sports in Canada. I enjoy both but I realize compared to hockey, soccer, etc., chess and cycling have little public profile in Canada and consequently little access to sponsorship. Canada is not Europe where both chess and cycling are much more in the public eye (there's no Tour de France in Canada). No one in Canadian cycling would imagine that they could expect an organizer to pay for them to race at a championship. And that goes for riders who are world champions in their events. Some chess players seem to suffer from over-inflated senses of entitlement.
                            Last edited by Steve Karpik; Friday, 7th January, 2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Felix - may I suggest a different viewpoint....

for $500-600+, I get to play in a tournament against some of the top juniors in Canada, with a chance to represent Canada at a major international chess tournament in India with 2 grand to cover my expenses! :)

Does that sound a little more appealing?
                              And then another viewpoint. 500-600$ to play in an Open tournament with a couple of top players and lots of weak juniors, and a small chance to earn a trip (probably not fully funded) to India by yourself like a pauper of the third world, unless a member of your family or a friend is willing to spend another 4000$ of his own money to go with you and keep you company.
                              But since that Mr Gillanders has announced that "a few sponsors" have been found, we are looking forward for significant improvements to the original announcement.

Comment

Working...
                              X