Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Upon reflection and consultation, we should expect Agastya to at least play in our national junior championship in Mississauga to be eligible to play in the world championship in India. That would be in keeping with the spirit of the regulations we passed regarding playing in the CYCC to be eligible to play in the WYCC.

Of course, I should have thought of all this before saying anything at all. ;)
    I agree. He will play at Mississauga.

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Sounds like an Ontario Junior U20 championship, or even a Toronto Junior U20 championship. As usual there is nothing there to favor a decent attendance from out of town players, even less from other provinces. Once again a bare bone event that is "national" only by name.
      Hi Jean,

This event is basically a fund-raiser to help its winner play in India. In order to keep as much money for that main goal as possible we are providing what services we can with volunteer power.

One of the services our volunteers will be providing for out of province players is to shuttle players from the Toronto and Hamilton Airports to the event.

Since I know you want to help us provide services to out of province players I invite you to join us in Ontario Easter weekend. We could use another driver :)
      Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Tuesday, 8th February, 2011, 02:26 AM. Reason: To fix a mistake.

Comment

Re: Re : Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011 - Open & Girls

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        In 1974 on my first trip overseas to the World cadet in France, the Israeli players was accompanied by two (!) bodyguards, one of them a "gorilla" with thick hair even on his back. Of course this was only two years after the Munich shooting. Nowadays Israelis apparently feel safer...
        In Turkey there was at least on armed person with the Israeli team in the playing area. In Greece I did not see any, even when we went togheter in the same plane from Antalya.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I would like to inform our talented juniors that remaining 150 invitational letters were sent out and that brings us to 250 in total! Juniors who received the letter and would like to participate please let me know through my email ASAP. Organizers would like to build pre-register list, before the tournament starts. My email is: mikhailegorov@gmail.com. I was at the Guelph Pro-Am this weekend and personally spoke to few juniors who already confirmed their participation. Thanks. :D

Note to participants: Please be advised that players who register on the day of the round 1 will not be paired in round 1 and will receive bye. Pairings for round 1 will be posted for round 1 night before.

Comment

Thanks Mikhail. I think it is worth pointing out that the tournament is open to all juniors. An invitation letter is not a requirement. We blanketed the top 250 players by rating, but we were missing addresses for some players.

So if you are interested in playing, contact Mikhail.:)

Comment

Thank you Bob!

Yes, the tournament is open to all juniors and an invitation letter is not a requirement. :)

Please contact me at mikhailegorov@gmail.com for pre-registration and other details.

Comment

I will be at the Hart House tournament this weekend distributing flyers for 2011 Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship! :D

I will also be bringing flyers for 2011 Hamilton Winter Open and 2011 Ontario Open Chess Championship. If anyone has any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  At risk of offending some people...

Just how entitled are people becoming these days?? If someone is good enough to play in the World Junior, then they should be good enough to win the Canadian Junior. All the talk and back-talk about the CYCC rules lately really annoyed me too. Why should *anyone* (with the possible exception of the previous year's champion) be allowed to bypass any level of the qualification program?

So yes, actually, someone (me) WOULD object to anyone being able to just buy their way out of the qualification procedures. Especially considering that they are not actually buying their way out, since none of their money is staying in Canada, and since that removes participation from the events, which is a big problem with the Junior especially!

Seriously. If you want to make the Provincial YCCs succeed, you need to make them mandatory with very few or no exceptions. Just as CMA has (quite successfully) done with the Chess Challenge. And there should be NO reason for anyone to be able to skip the national championships and still go on to World's, except maybe Jason Cao as a World Champion.
                  Well put Mr. Mallon

Comment

Hello everyone,

I just would like to remind juniors who are planning to play and pay in advance. Please send cheque them to Mississauga Chess Club.
                    This way you will avoid paying late fee at the door.

PLEASE NOTE: Players who pre-register, must pay$150.00 in advance as well, by sending cheque to Mississauga Chess Club, otherwise they will be charged $200.00 at the door.

And another BUMP for 2011 Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship - Open & Girls!!!:D

LINK: http://www.mississaugachessclub.ca/C...niors2011.html

The Mississauga Chess Club is proud to host the
                    Canadian Junior U20 Chess Championship 2011.

Place: University of Toronto Mississauga Campus
                    Room 3141 Faculty Lounge 3rd Floor
                    3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Ontario

Dates: April 21 -25, 2011 - Easter weekend (thursday-monday)

Format: Two sections - Open & Girls
                    9 round swiss, max 3 byes
                    90 minutes plus 30 second increments
                    CFC and FIDE rated

Round times: Rd 1 - April 21, 6 pm
                    Rd 2-9 - April 22 -25, 10am and 3pm

Prizes: Winners will represent Canada at the World Juniors in India.
                    1st Open - $ 2,000 towards travel costs
                    1st Girls - $ (girls entry fees paid) towards travel costs

Entry fee: $ 150 (early bird discount), $ 200 at the door.

Comment

Hi everyone, :)

I forgot to mention that cheques need to be send to my home address. People who received the invitation letters, should have it. For people who want to play and would like to pre-register here is my address:

3388 Mikalda Road
                      Burlington, ON
                      L7M 0J9
                      Canada

Another BUMP for 2011 Canadian Junior Chess Championship!!! :D

Comment

Hello everyone, :)

This is just another reminder to our juniors who are planning to play and pay in advance. Please send cheque them to Mississauga Chess Club.
                        This way you will avoid paying late fee at the door.

NOTE: Players who pre-register, must pay $150.00 in advance to avoid later fee of $50.00 at the door. You can send it by sending cheque to Mississauga Chess Club.

Address to send cheque to:
                        3388 Mikalda Road
                        Burlington, ON
                        L7M 0J9
                        Canada

I also will be present at the 2011 Hamilton Winter Open in March 27-28 weekend and will be accepting cash or cheques in person.

Link to this tournament information on chesstalk: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4445

BUMP for 2011 Canadian Junior Chess Championship!!!

Comment

I sure hope some juniors from Hamilton and Burlington area enter because I think they kick butt.

Comment

They will kick butt Garvin, because you are one kick ass chess instructor. :D

Comment

Hello everyone,

This is just a reminder to our juniors who are planning to play and pay in advance. I will be present at the Ontario Chess Challenge this weekend in person to except early bird registrations either by cheque or cash. I will also bring extra flyers for Canadian Junior Chess Championship U20 tournament. You can send me and email at mikhailegorov@gmail.com with more questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Please send cheques to Mississauga Chess Club. This way you will avoid paying late fee at the door.

NOTE: Players who pre-register, will pay $150.00 in advance and avoid late fee of
                              $50.00. You can send it by sending cheque to Mississauga Chess Club.

Address to send cheque to:
                              3388 Mikalda Road
                              Burlington, ON
                              L7M 0J9
                              Canada

Comment

Bumping this to the top again.

Just one week to go. The organizers are meeting tonight and we will post a preregistered list tomorrow.

Please let us know ahead of time and save the $50 late fee at the door. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X