X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New CFC website

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    I agree.
    There is an oversight in the GM listing. I'm sure we'll hear more about this. :)
    I don't believe there is an oversight on our part.

For the Who's Who there was a decision made than anyone who hadn't played in a CFC event in 3 years would be included in the Inactive GM/IM section.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; Friday, 1st July, 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I didn't see the Ratings Calculator.
      It's one of the features I liked.
      Hopefully it will eventually return?

Comment

Fred, I'm getting the following error message. Is this being run on a single line? :)

PDOException: SQLSTATE[42000] [1203] User db129868_chess already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in lock_may_be_available() (line 165 of /nfs/c09/h01/mnt/129868/domains/chess.ca/html/includes/lock.inc).
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Even worse, or better, the OLD website is back!! I'm gonna quickly go and download TDlist.

Comment

We have had some obvious technical problems. This is presumably why the old site is now showing again.

I'm afraid the rating calculator will have to wait for now.

I'm more optimistic about the TD list.

Comment

What happened to the new web site? It seemed to last as long as a fireworks display and now the old one is back.

I had a quick look and thought I'd go back later to explore. When I did I got error messages.

Anyhow, what I did see looked good and I thought linking to my (and others) bio's is a nice touch.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                What happened to the new web site? It seemed to last as long as a fireworks display and now the old one is back.

I had a quick look and thought I'd go back later to explore. When I did I got error messages.

Anyhow, what I did see looked good and I thought linking to my (and others) bio's is a nice touch.
                The site crashed and the developers pointed chess.ca back to the old site for the rest of the weekend. It's one of those heartaches that you can test look and field, but actual performance can't really be guaranteed, until you go live.

Comment

I guess some bugs need working out.

By the way, I had a look at the CFC message board. I noticed there is a candidate for president who is not committed to a publicaton. Hopefully such a candidacy will not be successful.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    I guess some bugs need working out.

By the way, I had a look at the CFC message board. I noticed there is a candidate for president who is not committed to a publicaton. Hopefully such a candidacy will not be successful.
                    The present plan (which of course could change with a new Executive) is to continue with CCN, but at the same time we could look at ways of getting some content to the website as well.

Bob, Tony and I have had some talk around this, but for the time being the status quo has been budgeted.

Comment

Re: Is this it?? or the test version still(July 7-2011)

To whom it may concern:

I just looked at chess.ca.

1.Is it true this cost C$18,0000? so $18,0000/40-450 new members need to join to pay for it?

2.I don't see where the CFC is interested in having people join. True there is some hidden mention in the menu system. Maybe asking people to join on the home page somewhere may get people to join

3.Donations
                      (a) Individual Donors-I don't see where the CFC is asking for donations or bequests from estates. Does the CFC not need money from donations any more? if so well done!
                      (b)Corporate Donors-I don't see any corporate donor friendly info like membership breakdown, profile of typical member, events needed donors etc

4.I know CFC does not have a retail operation but is there a link to your vendor somewhere? I don't see it
                      5.(sorry-found it)
                      6.Financial info etc is it there somewhere? I know it's in govenors letters somewhere but I don't see F/SS and budget info easily accessible from the site

7.Newsletter is hidden in the background but its the CFC flagship asset buried under news...Doesn't the newsletter need material? isn't it integral to staying informed...should be given more prominence on homepage. Now it seems like an afterthought

8.Links
                      -No Chesstalk
                      -No Spraggett's blog
                      -No HebertParleEchecs
                      -No Chess and Math
                      Rather big ommissions. Sorry if I missed them if they are there. Links should be a separate menu item perhaps.

9.Homepage has no recent Canadian news

10.Upcoming tournaments
                      True a couple of big events are listed(I don't see the Quebec Open) but with all the Pizzazz of a coming funeral....Couldn't think of a way to encourage people to play??

11.Color scheme. Well maybe it's just me but I feel I'm at the site of a funeral home. More color perhaps?

A newcomer to the Canadian chess scene may conclude that
                      -chess is like a funeral.
                      -the CFC does not want new members
                      -the Newsletter is not important
                      -There is nothing much is happening in Canada
                      -Donations are not wanted or needed

Site grade: ?

Michael Yip

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
                        To whom it may concern:

8.Links
                        -No Chesstalk
                        -No Spraggett's blog
                        -No HebertParleEchecs
                        -No Chess and Math
                        Rather big ommissions. Sorry if I missed them if they are there. Links should be a separate menu item perhaps.
                        Michael Yip
                        I would not link to Spraggett's site; the other sites are perhaps worthwhile, but they don't really have any direct connection to the CFC.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

To whom it may concern:

1.Is it true this cost C$18,0000? so $18,0000/40-450 new members need to join to pay for it?

2.I don't see where the CFC is interested in having people join. True there is some hidden mention in the menu system. Maybe asking people to join on the home page somewhere may get people to join

3.Donations
                          (a) Individual Donors-I don't see where the CFC is asking for donations or bequests from estates. Does the CFC not need money from donations any more? if so well done!
                          (b)Corporate Donors-I don't see any corporate donor friendly info like membership breakdown, profile of typical member, events needed donors etc

4.I know CFC does not have a retail operation but is there a link to your vendor somewhere? I don't see it
                          5.(sorry-found it)
                          6.Financial info etc is it there somewhere? I know it's in govenors letters somewhere but I don't see F/SS and budget info easily accessible from the site

7.Newsletter is hidden in the background but its the CFC flagship asset buried under news...Doesn't the newsletter need material? isn't it integral to staying informed...should be given more prominence on homepage. Now it seems like an afterthought

8.Links
                          -No Chesstalk
                          -No Spraggett's blog
                          -No HebertParleEchecs
                          -No Chess and Math

9.Homepage has no recent Canadian news

10.Upcoming tournaments
                          True a couple of big events are listed(I don't see the Quebec Open) but with all the Pizzazz of a coming funeral....Couldn't think of a way to encourage people to play??

11.Color scheme. Well maybe it's just me but I feel I'm at the site of a funeral home. More color perhaps?

A newcomer to the Canadian chess scene may conclude that
                          -chess is like a funeral.
                          -the CFC does not want new members
                          -the Newsletter is not important
                          -There is nothing much is happening in Canada
                          -Donations are not wanted or needed

Site grade: ?

Michael Yip
                          Thanks for the comments, Michael. I'm sure some of these ideas can be acted on. Right now it's a question of getting the site functional with the ratings, etc.

The CFC Executive recently ruled that the Spraggett blog would no longer be advertized in the Newsletter because of adult content. I have nothing against his blog and have links to it on my own Maritime Chess Centre web page.

There are links to Chess 'n Math in the links section (under Misc). We now have a section for associations (a work in progress). We have links to both CMA and FQE there. We will find an appropriate spot for chess talk.

I'd love to tailor the site in any way we could to attract donors. Specific suggestions can be addressed to myself.
                          Colours are a matter of taste, and I've had professional opinions weigh in positively on our look and feel.

Comment

To find a link to the Quebec Open click on the < or > on the National Tournaments Line

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              I'd love to tailor the site in any way we could to attract donors. Specific suggestions can be addressed to myself.
                              Did the CFC not get suggestions as part of the (big) fee?

Mike Yip

Comment

Did the CFC not get suggestions as part of the (big) fee?

Mike Yip
                                Mike: We did not specifically say maximize our donation possibility in the RFP, if that's what you mean.

The original RFP was written by Patrick Smale, EKG. He was conifent that the end result would end up being a site that would bring added members and sales as well as the possibility for corporate advertizing. I would think donations fit in there as well.

As it turned out Patrick did not lead the design work from our end, I did. Probably his end product would have been more what you're asking for. As I said, if you have specific suggestions you can send them to me. We have the ability to change the website in pretty well any way we want to.
                                fred underscore mckim at hotmail dot com

Comment

Working...
                                X