5 Karjakin, Sergey g RUS 2776 20 1990
    6 Topalov, Veselin g BUL 2775 10 1975
    7 Grischuk, Alexander g RUS 2773 20 1983
    8 Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar g AZE 2772 9 1985
    9 Ivanchuk, Vassily g UKR 2764 0 1969
    10 Nakamura, Hikaru g USA 2751 16 1987

This was posted on the Polgar Site today:

"World chess rankings: Levon Aronian second

The Armenian GM Levon Aronyan is on the second place in the list of the world’s strongest chess players. At present he has got 2807.1 point. On the first place is the world champion Vishvanatan Anand 2815.2 points. The best triple is closing Magnus Carlsen (2804.5). Those following, by the way, do not even cross the border of 2800 points."

The days where a Super GM was over 2700...so ChessTalkers what do we call the over 2800 crowd? :)

Re: Competition at the top....

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    ... The days where a Super GM was over 2700...so ChessTalkers what do we call the over 2800 crowd? :)
    The super-duper GMs !! Larry, do I win a book for answering your question correctly?
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Without denigrating the current top occupants of the FIDE rating list I cannot help but wonder if these players are really better than Tal, Botvinnik, Fischer, Korchnoi et al. There is, after all, some drift in rating systems. Remember as well that ratings reflect how likely a given player is to beat another. Surely players cannot all be getting relatively stronger, that is stronger relative to each other!
      Last edited by Peter Sibbald; Wednesday, 19th January, 2011, 10:50 PM. Reason: A typo offended Vlad

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Sibbald View Post
        Surely players cannot all be getting relatively stronger, that it stronger relative to each other!
        Can someone translate this into English?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Can someone translate this into English?
          Basically there are way more players now so the rating system will naturally expand at the top end. The system as a whole may even be deflating (I would suspect that it is with the low rating floor now), but the top end will still spread out.

If you had someone as dominant as a Fischer or Kasparov around these days they'd certainly be over 2900.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            Basically there are way more players now so the rating system will naturally expand at the top end. The system as a whole may even be deflating (I would suspect that it is with the low rating floor now), but the top end will still spread out.

There have been some suggestions published that the lower rating floor for FIDE is part of the cause of ratings inflation (I'd give you the link to the chess base article but I'm lazy....). Basically the argument is that some players who are weaker than the rating floor will on occasion have a good tournament, get rated, and then donate their extra points to the rating pool.

There is also some suggestion that the assignment of provisional ratings may be systematically biased upwards (i.e. Inflationary) at least in the cfc system - I don't have info for this for FIDE. See http://victoriachess.com/cfc/extremes_summary.php for cfc data.

I always used to wonder why deflation was never (or rarely) an issue. After all, it seems self evident that players enter at the bottom, get better, and eventually leave taking rating points out of the system. But, it seems there is more going on than that simplistic view.

Comment

They used to have a rating floor of 2200... if it was inflationary we would have been seeing that for years, but Fischer had a 2780 rating I think? Which would still be quite great even today, nearly 40 years later.

My problem with the rating floor is it lets the casual players in... yes, the ones who don't always play frequently, the ones who make dramatic overnight gains in playing ability (or so it seems), and the ones who don't necessarily have the work ethic and commitment to the game to maintain their playing strength near peak form. That, as the CFC discovered a few years ago, is deflationary without having anything put in to compensate for it.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The days where a Super GM was over 2700...so ChessTalkers what do we call the over 2800 crowd? :)
                Since there is a rumor that Larry is giving away a super book, I want to participate.

How about supra GM ?

Supra is a latin word meaning above. Above super GM...

Comment

GGM? (Galactic GM?)

That still leaves UGM (Universal GM) and DGM (Dimensional GM) for future expansion.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                    They used to have a rating floor of 2200... if it was inflationary we would have been seeing that for years, but Fischer had a 2780 rating I think? Which would still be quite great even today, nearly 40 years later.

My problem with the rating floor is it lets the casual players in... yes, the ones who don't always play frequently, the ones who make dramatic overnight gains in playing ability (or so it seems), and the ones who don't necessarily have the work ethic and commitment to the game to maintain their playing strength near peak form. That, as the CFC discovered a few years ago, is deflationary without having anything put in to compensate for it.
                    Yeah, but just think of all the money it makes them... It's really the same as CFC ratings below 1000... they're pretty meaningless because you can spend the weekend reading My System and BAM... you're 1500.

Comment

Re: 1500??

You can be 1500 if you have a pulse...assuming you're more than 12.

But good idea

"My System for Kids'-by Jeff Coakley perhaps...

Mike Yip

Comment

I can remember when 2600 qualified as a super-GM.

Comment

Can we go half way and call 2750+ crowd "super?" :)
                          Probably just doesn't look as nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            I can remember when 2600 qualified as a super-GM.
                            Yes. FIDE should really raise the qualifications for the titles.

It seems the top GM's mainly play amongst themselves and swap rating points back and forth. When one players rating slips another player who has worked up his rating comes in and takes his place. So they have the newer higher rated player with whom to swap rating points.

It's not that players rated a few hundred points lower can't beat them. It's that those players don't get the chance to even play them.

Accelerated pairing systems should be tossed on the junk pile of history as well.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

An alternative to accelerated pairing is to offer 1 point byes at the start of the tournament to the top N players. So the opening rounds are like a qualifier to meet the upper crust.

Comment

Working...
                              X