Canadian Closed 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Canadian Closed 2011

Yes membership dues are far too low. There is no flexibility to take on even the smallest initiatives to promote chess or support important events and local organizers. At the next governors meeting I expect the ongoing discussion on membersip dues will reach some sort of consensus and I hope that we will raise the regular dues and offer discounted memberships for new members. Then maybe we can talk about what can be done to help with the Canadian Closed and the Olympiad Team.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Peter:

I perceive a practical reason why CFC membership is generally so inactive, and not interested in the program of the CFC ( outside of providing ratings ):

CFC Bylaw # 1

LIMITATION OF RIGHTS

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Peter - The CFC is made up of lots of volunteers performing various jobs. Many of us, in addition to our duties at the CFC, help out at local clubs and weekend tournaments. All of this for absolutely no pay. What there does seem to be is endless criticism from the likes of Jean Hebert and now yourself, that we are not doing enough.
        You write better humour than I do.

The CFC has come up with a newly minted set of rules for the Canadian Championship Now all the organization has to do is organize the event under those rules. Pretty simple.

It should be kept in mind accepting volunteer positions in chess organizations entails effort and demands on a persons time.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
          All of this for absolutely no pay. What there does seem to be is endless criticism from the likes of Jean Hebert and now yourself, that we are not doing enough. :)
          Mr Gillanders,

To single me out as if I was the one responsible for the general dissatisfaction towards the CFC is not only insulting and unfair, it is also irresponsible coming from someone who is supposed to represent canadian chess. Open your mind and try to see beyond what you call "endless criticism". This is undoubtedly part of your mandate as CFC president.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            Yes membership dues are far too low. There is no flexibility to take on even the smallest initiatives to promote chess or support important events and local organizers. At the next governors meeting I expect the ongoing discussion on membersip dues will reach some sort of consensus and I hope that we will raise the regular dues and offer discounted memberships for new members. Then maybe we can talk about what can be done to help with the Canadian Closed and the Olympiad Team.
            In most if not all organizations, membership dues remain stable or move up slowly along inflation because they want to keep their members. Only a sharp increase in services benefitting most members will justify a sharp increase in membership fees. The money to support specific elite programs like the olympic teams and the Closed has to come from the outside (donations, public and private sponsors, etc). Raising memberships will not raise revenues significantly, because it is bound to send the membership even further down and decrease other revenues.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Relax, Bob. I'm in favour of increasing membership dues as evidenced by a post of mine from further up the page (to which you responded favourably, by the way). See: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...34104#poststop

Roger Patterson then indicated that he didn't like the idea of increasing dues so I tossed out another idea for discussion (which Roger didn't like either). I'm not trying to slam governors and I don't believe I said anything negative about them in my responses to Roger.

Sheesh !!

p.s. The $10 p.a. dues increase is fine with me. In fact, I think it should be more.

p.p.s. You know, if the members aren't careful here they're going to "cheap" themselves right out of a national organization. If you want something then you need to be willing to pay for it. The question is, what do CFC members want? I'd like to see an organization that makes a bigger commitment to supporting excellence. Those governors you mentioned, Bob, need to be out there, in their clubs, playing in tournaments, etc., and talking to the members about what kind of organization they want. There needs to be a consensus on this.
              Not too many people wake up in the morning saying "you know what I need in my life! A national organization! Even one that doesn't do anything for my membership fee! I really care that somewhere in Ontario there is an office!" So, I don't understand the statement "you want something then you need to be willing to pay for it"

As for Bob (and probably others) saying expenses have been cut to the bone - It is claimed by many that the rating fees pay for the full cost of rating - it seems plausible and there are commercial organizations willing to rate clubs for comparable or lower costs. So the annual membership fee of $36 is going only to: a) ~$10 for an email mag I personally don't value and many members don't get or even know about (and judging by conversations with others, a lot of other people don't value it either) b) ~$5 for FIDE and c) ~$21 for the costs of collecting membership fees. There is nothing else being done that takes money. It's not a good deal. It's already the skeleton organization you mention but with a cost structure that doesn't work.

Comment

Roger, I think you have to ask the question of if the programs and manner in which they are implemented are contributing to our players and teams being competitive on the world scene.

Greeting from the GTA, the center of the chess universe in Canada. :)
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X