Canadian Closed 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Closed 2011

I can't seem to register for the CFC message board, despite numerous attempts and emails, so I'll post this here. Does anyone know whether we will have a 2011 Closed?

I asked this question a few months back, and Vlad suggested that there might possibly be a bid from Alberta... is there any further news on that front, or is anyone else thinking of bidding? The summer's only a few months away! Thanks in advance for any information.

-Morgon

Re: Canadian Closed 2011

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
    I can't seem to register for the CFC message board, despite numerous attempts and emails, so I'll post this here. Does anyone know whether we will have a 2011 Closed?

I asked this question a few months back, and Vlad suggested that there might possibly be a bid from Alberta... is there any further news on that front, or is anyone else thinking of bidding? The summer's only a few months away! Thanks in advance for any information.

-Morgon
    Yes there will have to be a Canadian Closed, as the World Cup is this year. However, because of the scheduling of the World Cup for Aug 20, we have to have our representative chosen by June 15 (I think this is the date).

Alberta has officially bowed out, so I'm expecting someone in Ontario will pick the ball up, soon.

Comment

How are the players to be selected?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
        How are the players to be selected?
        I'll direct you to the CFC Handbook: http://www.chess.ca/section_8.shtml

Comment

Thanks very much, Fred.

If the tournament is being held at the end of May/beginning of June, then we'll need potential organizers to come forward pretty soon!

-Morgon

Comment

Originally posted by Morgon Mills View Post
            Thanks very much, Fred.

If the tournament is being held at the end of May/beginning of June, then we'll need potential organizers to come forward pretty soon!

-Morgon
            We have been waiting for bids to come in on this event, since the AGM. The "last minute" change in dates by FIDE only makes this more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
              We have been waiting for bids to come in on this event, since the AGM. The "last minute" change in dates by FIDE only makes this more difficult.
              Is the CFC making a financial contribution to their prestigious event?

Comment

LMFAOROTFL, Larry.

Comment

the resolution passed by the governers last year on conditions for the Closed was big on what the organizer was supposed to provide, not so much on the responsibilities and contribution of the CFC....

Comment

On reviewing the conditions imposed by the CFC AGM, I will be very surprised if anyone comes forward to organize the event, particularly given the unfortunate situation last time around when the winner chose to insult the organizer who stepped up at the last minute to salvage the event and thus the winner's trip to Khanty.:o

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                      On reviewing the conditions imposed by the CFC AGM, I will be very surprised if anyone comes forward to organize the event, particularly given the unfortunate situation last time around when the winner chose to insult the organizer who stepped up at the last minute to salvage the event and thus the winner's trip to Khanty.:o
                      Agreed.

However Gord,

I think we will both agree that we have to work on making our National competitions into showcase events. What you and your committee did for the CYCC was awesome...you set the bar very high...where it should be!

SO we have to determine our priorities...what we can support...and to what extent.

We have to make things very clear so that everyone knows the rules before we start playing :)

MOST IMPORTANT...WE MUST ENCOURAGE EXCELLENCE!

Someone once said to me...if you can't organize an event that you are totally proud of...then do not accept the challenge :). I now subscribe to that philosophy :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                        the unfortunate situation last time around when the winner chose to insult the organizer who stepped up at the last minute to salvage the event and thus the winner's trip to Khanty.:o
                        Shrug, he made it clear that he'd rather not have an event than have one not organized to his standards. Guess he'll get his wish.

Comment

2011 Canadian Closed " Conditions "

GM Mark Bluvshtein, who moved the motion strengthening the conditions for the Closed, and got it passed by the AGM ( I was seconder ), believes that it is a showcase event for Canadian chess, and the standards should be high, respect the experience of the players playing, and present a very professional image.

I don't know however, whether Mark felt that if an organizer could not meet the standards, it was better to have no tournament. I think he felt compromises might have to be made, but the starting point should be something everyone agrees presents a top-notch tournament if implemented.

Mark is busy in Europe on his year of professional chess, so I doubt he will be aware of this thread - if he gets wind of it, it would be great to hear more on his rationale for raising the Closed standards somewhat.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                            Is the CFC making a financial contribution to their prestigious event?
                            The current budget have some lines for Canadian Championships (maybe only for past Open. Need to double check.) And the last year it had for Closed (I think the sum was ~1k.) It might be only imaginary money.

Comment

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed " Conditions "

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                              Mark is busy in Europe on his year of professional chess, so I doubt he will be aware of this thread - if he gets wind of it, it would be great to hear more on his rationale for raising the Closed standards somewhat.
                              Bob,
                              Do you belong to these people in need of a "rationale" to raise the Closed Standards ? I hope it is just a slip that you came up with after an exausting day at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X