Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Closed 2011

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    Read the whole thing over again. Many small issues could have been easily fixed. Generally raising issues is the first step before finding solutions.
    Generally yes, but it works better at finding solutions if the issue is raised before the end of the event.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Many strong chess players seem to think that the world owes them a living, and that their national federations owe them wonderful and luxurious tournament conditions. I do not believe that either is the case. Chess is not a spectator sport, and so can only be supported by those who play the game, or patrons, or corporate sponsorships. If you want to be treated like a superstar in this country then you need to become a hockey player. I think strong chess players have to understand this, and do what they can to help, rather than attacking organizers with shoe-string budgets who are generally doing the best they can. But for the top players to sit back with their arms folded across their chests, and complain that they are not being treated like Gods, is not going to do chess or anyone any good.

Comment

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed High Standard " Conditions " - A Spirited Defence Still Need

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        ...we all know that last year's tournament organized under short notice was met by insults and carping masquerading as 'constructive criticism' of the organizer. Whatever the merit of the complaints, they were not delivered in a constructive manner.
        By turning criticism into "insults", you and a few others are the ones making this unconstructive. The shortcomings of the Closed 2009 were clearly identified and many simple solutions were thus outlined for the future. If this cannot be taken constructively then nothing ever will. The receiver also has a part of responsibility in making criticism constructive.

Comment

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed High Standard " Conditions " - A Spirited Defence Still Need

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          it would be great to have him join Jean in the spirited defence of 2010 AGM Motion 2010-13 - Canadian Championship standards.
          Bob,
          Mark and I are certainly in favour of a better Closed. However I was not in favour of that particular motion that I found much too vague and weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            Nice, so instead of becoming distracted very briefly - even only long enough to drop off an anonymous note with suggestions where it might be found - you just try to ignore the problems for the whole event. ...
            Chris, you shouldn't be so quick to discount what Jean said. In fact, there's a recent interview with Ivanchuk, at Chess in Translation, where he emphasizes that frame of mind/ability to concentrate is everything for a strong player. Probably something that you and I (i.e. players of our strength) can't fully appreciate.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              ... who was clearly and maliciously stalking HAL BOND, one of the best and most selfless organizers in Canada. Many people came to Hal's defence, but only in a passive manner, that is, making it known how valuable Hal is for Canadian chess. None but I actually attacked Hal's attacker, and for that, I stand proud. The fact that a peanut gallery POS like you doesn't like it means absolutely nothing to me. Same goes for what ANYONE ELSE thinks. You can all suck eggs, which coincidentally is what JH has had all over his face since... well according to his own admission, since 1984.

Congratulations, you know people's motivations better than they do themselves. You must be (or were at one time) one of them there "psychiacologists". Yeah, you know what makes people tick. Take that thought to your grave, that's when you'll find out what a dick you were.

"... thought and discussion"??? What you think you got here, moron? Reams and reams of "thought and discussion". You want thought and discussion, go to Bob Armstrong, he'll discuss your ear off and you'll still be as paraplegic as you ever were.

And BTW, to his credit, Hal Bond was one person who did NOT respond to Jean's attacks with reciprocal gibberish. Another proof that Mr. Bond, and not the evil Dr. No, is the person we should be concentrating on here.

That's right, forget JH and his pathetic creepy cronies. All of you who want a 2011 Canadian Closed and are ashamed for not sticking up for Hal Bond in the way that you should have can make up for it, by contacting Hal DIRECTLY and saying "If no one else comes forward as happened last time, we need you again. I throw my complete support behind you and I want you to save the Closed again, and damn anyone who would dare put a knife in your back this time!" And maybe put some money where your mouth is.

The best way to put to rest JH and his down-with-Canadian-chess rants is to take what Hal Bond did for the last Closed and repeat it with DOUBLE the support, DOUBLE the enthusiasm, DOUBLE the spectator participation, and Hal himself at the helm with all your support, and DAMN WHETHER THERE'S ANY GODDAMN EFFING SPONSORS! The sponsors will COME TO YOU when you give them a reason, and what you've found out is that JH and his negativity is nothing but reason for sponsors to stay away. So GIVE them a reason to come back.

But no... you're all a bunch of pansies. JH says he remains optimistic, because he knows none of you have any backbone. Canadian chess, RIP. Have at 'em, Kevin.
              You're a scary fellow, Paul.

Regarding the part of your post that I've put in bold text, I have a question for you: did Hal Bond ever thank you, either publicly or privately, for being such a valiant and eloquent White Knight on his behalf? No? Hmm, I wonder why not?
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Actually Paul;
                My Dad was away working up North when I was younger so Christmas was a non-event. So I guess I had better earlier times as I did with more withouts than haves.

The Cdn Closed should be not be taken lightly and if the other Provincial
                federations would get together and make proper bids that would be helpful for all.
                Seems that there is always a panic to get this event going.
                Why not get the CFC to rewrite the agenda for Cdn Closed and move it around each year that way each province hosts it in turn
                Last edited by John Brown; Wednesday, 9th February, 2011, 12:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I have every respect for Jean as a player - I certainly will never achieve what he has. But ability as a player does not translate automatically to ability at anything else. A lesson a certain strong-player-who-blogs has also never learned:

Just because you're a great player does not mean your opinions are any more or less valid than anyone else's at anything other than evaluating chess positions.

Here's another question: if it was all so bad and the only possible method of complaint was the route Jean chose, why was he the only one who sounded mad about it? There *were* other players at the event. I notice one of them even speaks highly about conditions at Canadian events in relation to the European events he's been playing at.
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I have every respect for Jean as a player - I certainly will never achieve what he has. But ability as a player does not translate automatically to ability at anything else. A lesson a certain strong-player-who-blogs has also never learned:

Just because you're a great player does not mean your opinions are any more or less valid than anyone else's at anything other than evaluating chess positions.
                    Jean is absolutely correct about such discussions with tournament directors ruining a players concentration.

Organizers should make an attempt to be as capable at organizing as the strong players are at playing the game.

I take it you don't like the blog.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

if it was all so bad
                      As I remember, Jean only pointed out several points where the event could have been improved, e.g., games in time, name tags on tables, posters outside the playing venue, some public media, sponsors, and at least the winner's photo :D
                      However, the thread went down hill very quickly.

Comment

The Kremlin says the same thing to discredit Kasparov as a political opponent.

If it is all that you have to support your argumentation, then you are no better at it then at judging chess positions. Even if everybody is entitled to his own opinions, that does not mean that all opinions are equal.

Here's another question: if it was all so bad and the only possible method of complaint was the route Jean chose, why was he the only one who sounded mad about it? There *were* other players at the event. I notice one of them even speaks highly about conditions at Canadian events in relation to the European events he's been playing at.
                        You notice what makes you feel good... Of course European events can also be under par occasionnally, we don't have a monopoly on mediocrity.

Chess players regardless of their ratings often have little interest outside their chess openings and their very intimate needs. This should NOT be interpreted as deep support and satisfaction. These people will generally be very easy to satisfy. Promoting the game by demanding more visibility, better conditions both for players and spectators, are foreign concepts or far away in their shortlist of concerns. The World around them could fall apart without them moving a finger in discomfort. And among those who care most will remain silent publicly to avoid any type of confrontation and grudge from those organizers who can't take one single piece of advice, even if it is sugarcoated by an ocean of praise.
                        No one likes to be portrayed as a troublemaker which is one reason why I try when possible to avoid discussing issues with organizers during events which most of the time can only interfere with one's playing and create discomfort for all involved. If afterwards people in the comfort of their homes, surrounded by their loved ones, do not have the inner strenght to take legitimate opinions and criticisms constructively, what can be done ? By the way I believe that Hal Bond is not such a person. Hal can take criticism and go on.

Comment

The Kremlin says the same thing to discredit Kasparov as a political opponent.
                          Which would be a good point if Kasparov was saying something like "Everyone should vote for me because I was World Champion"

If it is all that you have to support your argumentation, then you are no better at it then at judging chess positions. Even if everybody is entitled to his own opinions, that does not mean that all opinions are equal.
                          ooooh, ouch, not a jab at my chess playing ability! The mighty Canadian Champion's argument is so much stronger than mine just because he's a better chess player!

Way to prove my point!

Also it's especially funny considering you've never seen one of my games to be able to judge how good or bad I might be at judging chess positions.

No one likes to be portrayed as a troublemaker which is one reason why I try when possible to avoid discussing issues with organizers during events which most of the time can only interfere with one's playing and create discomfort for all involved. If afterwards people in the comfort of their homes, surrounded by their loved ones, do not have the inner strenght to take legitimate opinions and criticisms constructively, what can be done ? By the way I believe that Hal Bond is not such a person. Hal can take criticism and go on.
                          Now, I don't have your skill in chess so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think saying "Hey, player name cards on the tables would be cool" would lead to any kind of confrontation. Unless maybe everyone on both sides of the conversation was drunk or something. Maybe someone with a higher rating and thus more important opinion can chime in and let me know if I have that right or not.
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Now, I don't have your skill in chess so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think saying "Hey, player name cards on the tables would be cool" would lead to any kind of confrontation. Unless maybe everyone on both sides of the conversation was drunk or something. Maybe someone with a higher rating and thus more important opinion can chime in and let me know if I have that right or not.
                            I see Chris that you are now not averse to selective quoting and imaginative interpretation. :)
                            I would never say something like "Hey (dude:)), player name cards on the tables would be cool" because to me this is bad mannered teenager talk. And teenager talk are rarely taken seriously. But maybe it is caused by my less than complete command of the english language.

Comment

I see Chris that you are now not averse to selective quoting and imaginative interpretation. :)
                              I would never say something like "Hey (dude:)), player name cards on the tables would be cool" because to me this is bad mannered teenager talk. And teenager talk are rarely taken seriously. But maybe it is caused by my less than complete command of the english language.
                              So, what you are saying is that if YOU were the organizer and someone said something that involved the words "Hey" and "Cool" or most especially "Dude", it WOULD lead to a confrontation?

It may have been "bad-mannered teenager talk" ... in the 80s. I wouldn't call it bad mannered anymore, or teenager talk. That doesn't mean I'd accept it on a formal essay, but in the context of giving a friendly suggestion...

Of course, we could take it one step at a time. Next time, try "Mr. Organizer, I'm afraid that if you do not have player name cards on the tables by the start of next round, I shall be forced to publicly castigate you on Chesstalk at my earliest convenience following the completion of this event."

That would still be an improvement over what did happen. And I made sure to avoid any teenager talk!
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                                Why not get the CFC to rewrite the agenda for Cdn Closed and move it around each year that way each province hosts it in turn
                                I have a better idea - why doesn't the CFC rewrite the agenda so that it is organized and hosted by John Brown every year, who will also be required to raise at least $25,000 in sponsorship?

You can't legislate volunteer work onto people, whether it be individuals or provincial federations because you have no incentive to provide them to complete it.

Comment

Working...
                                X