• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Member Inactivity/Lack of Interest in CFC Program

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Except some first names, like "Bob"
    Hmmm.... Let's test it.

Bob term is controversial.

Bob is best known for starting grass roots movements to try to improve accountability.

Kerry is active on Chess Talk.

Gary is one of the best known Canadian player and organizer in the world. A household name in his own household.

Kevin's blog is a must read.

Kevin is one of the best known players and writers in the Ottawa area.

This is fun.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

In order to be a NB Governor your name must be Ken.

Comment

Re: Cooperative Chess Coalition!

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Cooperative Chess Coalition! Is this a new movement you started, or has the grassroots movement changed it's name?
        I think it's a performance arts piece - designed to highlight why governers lose interest in voting on motions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          I have reproduced my post from another thread, because I think it starts a somewhat new discussion:

Hi Peter:

I perceive a practical reason why CFC membership is generally so inactive, and not interested in the program of the CFC ( outside of providing ratings ):

CFC Bylaw # 1

LIMITATION OF RIGHTS

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law.

What do CFC members think of this section of the bylaw # 1?

What effect does this have on CFC member participation in the organization, if any?

Bob Armstrong, Coordinator,
          Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC )
          Is there any relationship between this rule and the fact that CFC members do not vote for either governors or the CFC executive.

If I make an analogy to the USA, individual citizens do get to vote for the president and for their senate and house of representatives members. Not so with the CFC. Even the Mountain Equipment Co-op allows members to vote for the executive of that organization.

Comment

CFC members do vote for Governors.

SELECTION OF GOVERNORS BY PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION

9. As soon as possible after the receipt by a Provincial Organization of the aforementioned Certificate, such body will convene a meeting of its Federation Members for the purpose of electing its necessary number of nominees for the Board for the ensuing term. However should the Provincial Organization see fit, it can devolve the holding of meetings to regional affiliates, and restrict the Federation Members to voting only for the CFC Governors allocated to that particular region. {Motion 2009-12 2009 AGM Liles/von Keitz}
            Last edited by Ken Craft; Tuesday, 15th February, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
              If I make an analogy to the USA, individual citizens do get to vote for the president ...
              While the citizens are voting for whom they want as president, they are voting for electors for the Electoral College to vote for their choice. The states get votes in the electoral college based on the population of the state and possibly other considerations. It has happened the presidential candidate with the largest popular vote did not become president. The Electoral College decides the president.

In Canada it differs. We elect our prime minister and turn him over to the press.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: When Members Have Real Power, They'll Speak

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                Chris,

Did you watch Jeopardy last night? IBM's Watson supercomputer has the answer to your question - "Michael Ignatieff"
                I thought it had the question for your answer.

Answer: Michael Ignatieff

Question: Who won't be the next prime minister?

Answer: 42.

Question: What is the meaning of life?

If you don't believe me, put it in google.

Comment

Vlad,

I believe the complete question is:

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? :D

Answer: 42

All I can say is:

So long and thanks for all the fish! ;)

Comment

The Governors are Governing !

Hi Roger:

70 % of the governors attended the 2010 Fall On-line Meeting, and the 2011 Winter Meeting.

71 % of the governors attending voted on the motions.

Seem like pretty good statistics to me - especially in the light of participation in the antiquated era of the GL motions.

The governors are definitely up for motions, and ready to govern.

Bob

Comment

Also, the electors in the Electoral College are not actually legally bound to vote for their candidate. I believe the D.C. electors routinely abstain in protest at D.C. not having Senate representation, for example, and there are a few other cases of other electors flip-flopping.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                        Also, the electors in the Electoral College are not actually legally bound to vote for their candidate. I believe the D.C. electors routinely abstain in protest at D.C. not having Senate representation, for example, and there are a few other cases of other electors flip-flopping.
                        Yes. Regardless of the best intentions of those who set up a system, there are those who find loop holes to stick it the voters or members.

These days the Americans are tightening up the border security. I suppose they have to do something to keep their citizens in. This might make you laugh but I can recall back in the 60's when Americans were flocking to Canada to avoid the draft. One of the main stops was Rochdale College, a large building which was a residence. It was a failed attempt at open education by our government. My boss used to send me there once a week. It wasn't a preferred job and I always joked it was all pensionable time. It was a 10 minute job but they kept the room locked and with the waiting and so forth it always took around 4 hours or more. They guy whose job it was wouldn't go because he was afraid. So I went for a few year. I spent hours standing in the office waiting. I sometimes saw people from the U.S. with a cop looking for their kids. Showing a picture of the missing child to anyone who would look. Sometimes it was a missing girl who the parent thought ran off with a boyfriend. I think the place even had a chess team.

I think they finally turned it into a building for seniors. Good thing the walls can't talk.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Bob. I agree with the others who think that this part of the bylaw has no practical effect on member participation in the CFC. The fact that is exists, however, means there's a likelihood that it may be used some day. Again, as I've said several times in recent days, what kind of organization do the members want?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Where, Oh Where, Are the CFC Members??

Hi Peter:

I agree with you that repealing this section will not lead to CFC members storming the ramparts manned by the governors.

But if the organization became a bit more member-friendly, might the members take more interest?

You ask a good question - What kind of change do the CFC members want? The issue is are they interested enough to answer your question by posting here? Do they see any possibility that what they want could be brought to the governors and debated, with input from the members.

As a governor, I would like to make the CFC look more like an organization the CFC member would want to belong to. And I don't think I'm the only governor who is ready to debate modifications to the CFC structure re membership.

But it may be the members are so disenchanted with the CFC, that they will not even come forward with presentations. It is this that we must change. We must have an organization which the members find responsive to them and their ideas. This is not to say the governors will accept all ideas. But they should debate them.

And if a member feels the governors are doing an inadequate job of analyzing issues, then it is always open to a member to run for governor, to try to bring about change from the inside - I can attest that this can be done.

So I guess we wait and see if any member responds to your question, Peter !

Bob

Comment

ok Bob A: Here is one example(there are more) of what I
                              do not like about the current CFC: As a CFC member I can
                              sit at an AGM,listen to the proceedings, and I can even raise a point. I cannot do that at the online governors meeting. suggestion: consider handing out temporary
                              passwords to CFC members requesting attendance.

Wilf Ferner

Comment

The Membership & Quarterly On-line Meetings

Hi Wilf:

Motion 2011-F ( Public View-Only On-line Meetings ) was defeated at the recent 2011 Winter Meeting:

Votes Yes (9): Armstrong, Craft , Demian, Doubleday, Einarsson, Haley, Jin, Rekhson ,Wu
                                Votes No (21): Barron, Birarov, I Bluvshtein, Bond, Brammall, Brodie, Bunning, Cabanas, Clark, Craver, Dutton ,Felix, Field, Leblanc, McKim ,Nadeau, Noritsyn, Ong, Palsson, Steer, von Keitz
                                Abstentions (1): McDonald

The Governors do not want anyone to watch them while they are carrying out their obligations at an On-line Meeting. They see the dangers as significantly more than where there is personal attendance by members at the AGM. You can ask those voting " No " to explain that.

So if you have something you wish raised at a Quarterly Meeting, you'll have to get to a governor in advance, or during the meeting, to raise it for you at the meeting.

The next best thing is to open the confidential forum to the public AFTER the Meeting ( I know this doesn't address your concern about immediacy ). I have done a poll of the governors on this suggestion. The turnout was 22%, and of them, 54% favour opening the forum. Confidential material will be deleted, with a note that this has been done. So I am bringing a motion to the 2011 Spring ( April ) Meeting to try to get this change passed.

Lastly, the CFC Handbook, in the On-line Meeting Procedures, requires the CFC to produce " Minutes " of the meeting, and then to publish them on the CFC Website - this is another aspect of the CFC being transparent to a normal degree.

Bob
                                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 16th February, 2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X