2011 Canadian Closed and Zonal Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed and Zonal Championship

Fide regulations are interesting, to say the least.

Section D.02 covers zonal compettions.

"8.5 The Zonal tournaments must be conducted according to FIDE standards for times and rates of play. The relevant Continental President of FIDE must approve the playing schedule. "

And in section C.01, titled Recommendations for organization of top level tournaments:

"3.2 There must be no main playing session before 13.00 hours, local time. "

"3.3 To maintain the rhythm, all rounds must begin at the same hour, the last round being no exception. Preferred starting time is 15.00 hours."

But here comes the loophole. Back to D.02:

"7.2 If in a Zone it is not possible to hold a zonal tournament under the conditions of these regulations, the Zonal President is empowered to hold the tournament under modified conditions. "

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Fide regulations are interesting, to say the least.

Section D.02 covers zonal compettions.

"8.5 The Zonal tournaments must be conducted according to FIDE standards for times and rates of play. The relevant Continental President of FIDE must approve the playing schedule. "

And in section C.01, titled Recommendations for organization of top level tournaments:

"3.2 There must be no main playing session before 13.00 hours, local time. "

"3.3 To maintain the rhythm, all rounds must begin at the same hour, the last round being no exception. Preferred starting time is 15.00 hours."

But here comes the loophole. Back to D.02:

"7.2 If in a Zone it is not possible to hold a zonal tournament under the conditions of these regulations, the Zonal President is empowered to hold the tournament under modified conditions. "
      No two game/day event can be considered "top level", even by canadian standards. It means playing chess without proper rest, without enough time to eat, sleep or exercise properly. It means also no time to prepare for individual games, which is closely linked to serious chess, and even more so to "top level chess". Even if financial conditions for titled players have been improved, this should not be accomplished at the price of making the Canadian Closed a simple extended weekender, which would be I believe a terrible first in canadian chess History. What's next? A five round weekender ? This is simply not acceptable.
      On the basis of the current bid, I believe that further sponsors/donations (a futher one or two thousand dollars, maybe) should be seeked in order to extend the event to a minimum of seven days (two days at most with two games to be played) and preferably to nine days. Among the current sponsors I do not find CMA (has it been approached?) . Historically they rarely say "no" to worthy chess causes and now that their mortgage is all paid for... :)
      This is too important to leave it as it is. The Canadian championship should not be played under such a half-serious formula which ruins the quality of chess and makes for a gruelling and unpleasant chess experience for everyone.
      Last edited by Jean Hébert; Thursday, 24th February, 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I do agree that the 5 day schedule is brutal. Under the circumstances the bid is good and very appreciated but I'm worried about the 2 games/day. From all my experiences in the big gambling-like American swiss events with quick schedules the rate of play deteriorated way too much for my liking. It could turn out as an advantage for me over older folks but not quite the way you'd like to try to win the national title.

Comment

I'm happy to see Jean gave it at least 24 hours before complaining about the conditions.

I don't think anyone is presenting this bid and saying "Ha, screw Linares, look what WE'VE put together!". This is what the marketplace is willing to do. And to be honest, I like the idea of external preparation playing a lesser part, but that's because I like chess as a 1-1 competition, rather than a study hall + exam session.

"I believe that further sponsors/donations (a futher one or two thousand dollars, maybe) should be seeked "

So seek them.

Comment

Does the marketplace want Ponomariov, Khalifman and Rustam K. as "world champions"?
            Why is not Gelfand a "world champion" - he won the same competition like the others?

Comment

Jean, once you get to 2600 fide you can complain about the conditions, until then, be happy that Hal actually put in a bid and the event is actually happening. Quit whining like a princess, you need the whole day to eat, sleep, and "exercise"? This isn't a million dollar event backed up by national sponsors: It's just a chess tournament.
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post

It's just a chess tournament.
                It's not. It's an important event which qualifes the winner for a big international event. The schedule and conditions should refect this.

Of course, if a player isn't playing to win the event, I suppose any conditions are good enough.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Dates: May 7-11
                  Any side events on Saturday/Sunday? Something like to rise money for the 13th-place prize :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    Jean, once you get to 2600 fide you can complain about the conditions, until then, be happy that Hal actually put in a bid and the event is actually happening. Quit whining like a princess, you need the whole day to eat, sleep, and "exercise"? This isn't a million dollar event backed up by national sponsors: It's just a chess tournament.
                    Bindi, I promise that if I ever get a puppy I will call it "Bindi" and do my best to stop the barking and teach it some manners.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Bindi, I promise that if I ever get a puppy I will call it "Bindi" and do my best to stop the barking and teach it some manners.
                      Make sure it doesn't piss all over you; puppies are known to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        If I ever have a puppy, I'll name it Jean and teach it to never stop barking as if it was the biggest dog in the world, when really its just a slightly above average dog on a street that doesn't have many dogs.

Comment

OR U.F.C. vs U.C.F.
                          Coming soon in Toronto, are the UFC -Ultimate Fight Championships and 55,000 tickets sold with
                          front row tickets now reselling for $40.000 - INSANE! These are mixed martial arts fights with few restrictions.

BUT now free for ChessTalkers the Ultimate Chess Fight - it was only a matter of time. Bindi Cheng vs Jean Hebert (see the above posts). Not to be left out, Zeljko Kitich weighs in "Are sumo wrestlers allowed to compete?" Well, heck, why not?

And who's that in a front row seat? Why it's Kevin Spragget "More grist for the mill!" :D Is the seat worth 40 G's?
                          Nah, it's priceless!
                          Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                            OR U.F.C. vs U.C.F.
                            Coming soon in Toronto, are the UFC -Ultimate Fight Championships and 55,000 tickets sold with
                            front row tickets now reselling for $40.000 - INSANE! These are mixed martial arts fights with few restrictions.

BUT now free for ChessTalkers the Ultimate Chess Fight - it was only a matter of time. Bindi Cheng vs Jean Hebert (see the above posts). Not to be left out, is Zeljko Kitich "Are sumo wrestlers allowed to compete?" Well, heck, why not?

And who's that in a front row seat? Why it's Kevin Spragget "More grist for the mill!" :D Is the seat worth 40 G's?
                            Nah, it's priceless!
                            I recognize the subtle sense of humor of our south of the border neighbors. I see that you are just as successful in making jokes as in running one digit blitz events.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              OR U.F.C. vs U.C.F.

BUT now free for ChessTalkers the Ultimate Chess Fight - it was only a matter of time. Bindi Cheng vs Jean Hebert (see the above posts). Not to be left out, Zeljko Kitich weighs in "Are sumo wrestlers allowed to compete?" Well, heck, why not?

Nah, it's priceless!
                              Hey sumo is a sport and you won't catch sumo wrestlers with their soup bowls out trying to cajole organizers into appearance fees. Just saying. Sumo is more popular in Japan than chess will ever be in North America.

You're like the guy the WWF used to plant at the front at wrestling matches to prented to be a regular member of the audience - taunting and going after the real competitors. Vlad the Sad.
                              Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I remember reading in Freakonomics about the large number of fixed sumo matches in the elite divisions.
                                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                X