2011 Canadian Closed and Zonal Championship
    Chief Organizer: Hal Bond, IO, IA,
    205 – 105 Conroy Crescent, Guelph, ON N1G 2V5
    halbond@sympatico.ca

Dates: May 7-11, 2011
    Venue: Peter Clark Hall, Guelph University Centre
    Format: 9 Round Swiss
    Eligibility:
    All players must meet the requirements of Article 807 in the CFC Handbook, and be eligible to compete for Canada in the World Chess Cup. Exceptions are subject to approval by the CFC Executive.
    Players with a CFC, FQE or FIDE rating over 2200
    Provincial Association and Territorial nominees, with a minimum rating of 2000.
    FIDE titled FM, WIM or higher
    Canadian Junior Champion and Canadian Women’s Champion
    Schedule: Players meeting: Friday, May 6, 7pm University Centre Room 004 (tentative)
    Round 1-8 Saturday – Tuesday 10am, 4pm
    Round 9 Wednesday, May 11 10am followed by playoffs as required.
    Time Control: 40/90, G/30 + 30 seconds from move one.
    Entry Fees: $250 per player. Free entry to GMs and IMs.
    Prize fund: $ 4,000 cash prize fund (based on 30 paid entries) and travel prize to World Cup.
    Accommodations: Special rate of $93.99 per night includes full hot breakfast at Best Western Royal Brock Hotel, 716 Gordon Street(across the road from University).

Free accommodation and meal allowance based on double occupancy for defending champion, vice champion and GMs.
    Sponsors:
    Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), University of Guelph, Ontario Chess Association (OCA),
    Southwestern Ontario Chess League (SWOCL)

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed and Zonal Championship

Coool! But I thought we didn't even have bids. When did this one come in?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
      Coool! But I thought we didn't even have bids. When did this one come in?
      First off, there were a couple of other organizers in play for this event, over the past 5-6 weeks.

Hal was able to put this bid together over the past two weeks. It was just finalized, and approved by the Executive, yesterday.

I think I mentioned optimism about the Canadian Closed happening, in a post last week, but at that time couldn't say any more.

Comment

Will the masses be able to watch the games live on the internet through Mon Roi or some other vehicle? Just wondering, Thanks

Comment

Wonderful! Thanks for this excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            halbond@sympatico.ca

Eligibility:
            All players must meet the requirements of Article 807 in the CFC Handbook, and be eligible to compete for Canada in the World Chess Cup. Exceptions are subject to approval by the CFC Executive.
            Schedule: Players meeting: Friday, May 6, 7pm University Centre Room 004 (tentative)
            Prize fund: $ 4,000 cash prize fund (based on 30 paid entries) and travel prize to World Cup.
            Accommodations: Special rate of $93.99 per night includes full hot breakfast at Best Western Royal Brock Hotel, 716 Gordon Street(across the road from University).

Free accommodation and meal allowance based on double occupancy for defending champion, vice champion and GMs.
            Sponsors:
            Chess Federation of Canada (CFC), University of Guelph, Ontario Chess Association (OCA),
            The phrase "Provincial Association and Territorial nominees, with a minimum rating of 2000." is a bit misleading isn't it?

Looking at 804, it seems clear that a Provincial Champion may qualify regardless of rating...

It looks like the 2000 rating floor only applies to "The Yukon, N.W.T., and Nunuvat" (803e)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks Hal! Best news in a while.

Comment

Yipes! I'd better get my rating over 2200 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  The phrase "Provincial Association and Territorial nominees, with a minimum rating of 2000." is a bit misleading isn't it?

Looking at 804, it seems clear that a Provincial Champion may qualify regardless of rating...

It looks like the 2000 rating floor only applies to "The Yukon, N.W.T., and Nunuvat" (803e)
                  The bid was accepted "as is, where is". I noticed this same anomaly. I would think that any official Provincial representative rated under 2000 would apply to either the Executive or Hal for an exception.

Comment

halbond@sympatico.ca

Eligibility:

Sponsors:
                    Regarding "Round 9 Wednesday, May 11 10am followed by playoffs as required."

what are the specifications for the playoffs?
                    (I think the handbook indicates 17 rounds of Rock,Paper, Scissors...) - just kidding...
                    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 22nd February, 2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

halbond@sympatico.ca

Eligibility:

Sponsors:
                      Is that a format allowed by FIDE rules for a zonal that is supposed to allow IM norms ? I thought that a two game a day event would not be possible in that context. A certain (small) number of days with two games is allowed , but 4/5 days with two games ? Of course Hal and the CFC must have thought of this and we will quickly be reassured...

Comment

I think can explain this. This is before my time in terms of the executive matters of Northern Ontario chess, but a few years ago, our representative was not accepted in due to rating. His cheque was cashed, he attempted many times to get in contact with the person conducting the tournament and was not replied to at all. Upon arriving (he's from Thunder Bay an the tournament was held in Southern Ontario), he was told he was not allowed entry, despite there being other players sub 2000 in the tournament.

Sorry about the rambling, it’s still a sore spot in chess up in Thunder Bay with a couple people, myself included. Hope that clears things up!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Clark View Post
                          I think can explain this. This is before my time in terms of the executive matters of Northern Ontario chess, but a few years ago, our representative was not accepted in due to rating. His cheque was cashed, he attempted many times to get in contact with the person conducting the tournament and was not replied to at all. Upon arriving (he's from Thunder Bay an the tournament was held in Southern Ontario), he was told he was not allowed entry, despite there being other players sub 2000 in the tournament.

Sorry about the rambling, it’s still a sore spot in chess up in Thunder Bay with a couple people, myself included. Hope that clears things up!
                          Yes, I recall the situation (and it was handled very, very badly - needless to say). My point is that the description(s) in the Handbook are not consistent (in my view). I realize the part about the "at least 2000 rating" was likely related to the incident you describe, but it seems that clause only pertains to the territories - not provinces!?

Comment

Yes, I recall the situation (and it was handled very, very badly - needless to say). My point is that the description(s) in the Handbook are not consistent (in my view). I realize the part about the "at least 2000 rating" was likely related to the incident you describe, but it seems that clause only pertains to the territories - not provinces!?
                            I see what you mean. I assume it means both provinces and territories as the comma follows, I think its just worded horribly.

With all of my negativity I would like to extend my full congratulations to Hal and for this awesome bid. All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                              Is that a format allowed by FIDE rules for a zonal that is supposed to allow IM norms ? I thought that a two game a day event would not be possible in that context. A certain (small) number of days with two games is allowed , but 4/5 days with two games ? Of course Hal and the CFC must have thought of this and we will quickly be reassured...
                              Looks good

http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...8&view=article

Comment

Working...
                              X