Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Canadian Closed and Zonal Championship

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    I remember reading in Freakonomics about the large number of fixed sumo matches in the elite divisions.
    Grandmaster draws you mean? Yes match fixing is an issue in sumo; perhaps since it seems a favourite sport of Vlad's he can enlighten us about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      I recognize the subtle sense of humor of our south of the border neighbors. I see that you are just as successful in making jokes as in running one digit blitz events.
      I hear those rapid tourneys of his are doing better but I'm not sure if it broke the one digit mark. I'm so glad Vlad's taking such an interest in my disputes over the net, makes me feel all special inside.

P.S. Jean, I'd feel honored if I have a dog named after me, there can never be too many Bindi's in the world but I do hope you're not too cruel on the animal: you gotta set a role model for the younger generation :)
      Shameless self-promotion on display here
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Any word on the Women's Zonal this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Iulia Lacau-Rodean View Post
          Any word on the Women's Zonal this year?
          There have been no bids for this event, yet. It will have to be held over to next year, if no bids come forward.

The next Women's World Championship is 2012, but who knows when FIDE will schedule it in the year, based on what the did with the World Cup this year.

Comment

Hey Iulia

When we ran the last Women's Zonal in Auguat of 2009, the Women's Championship was scheduled for the first half of 2010. It was later moved to December, making it seem that our Zonal was held too soon.

FIDE struggles to find organizers and sponsors too. I have not seen anything about the next Women's World Championship yet. Maybe I am wrong about this but holding our championship within a calendar year of the World's makes sense to me.

I think our next Women's Zonal will be very interesting with some of the new juniors coming up, as well as some improving "veterans" such as yourself!

Comment

Women's World Championship After 2011??

Hi Hal and Iulia:

What I understand from my website research is that the World Champion ( Hou ) will face the Winner of the Grand Prix series 20009/2011 ( 6th and final one currently going on in Doha ) in a match for the title later this year in 2011. And that FIDE now intends to make this an annual contest

This raises 2 questions:

1. What happens to what has been the Women's Knockout Championship, bringing together all the reps of all the various countries? In the WCC now, I believe the World Cup Winner, and the Grand Prix winner, go into the Challengers' Candidates Matches. Is FIDE planning something similar for the Women? or will the Women's World Cup winner and the Grand Prix winner face the Champion in alternate years?

2. If FIDE intends an annual Women's Championship Match, is the Grand Prix, in future, going to take place over only the course of one year? And where does the knockout then fit in?

Any help on this, Hal, would be appreciated ( I'm trying to write an article for the Scarborough Community of Toronto Chess News & Views, and finding the available info a bit full of holes ).

Bob
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 27th February, 2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X