Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheating

Another form of cheating:

A player (expert/master strength) has been playing under at least two different names over the last couple of months in eastern Canada as an unrated (but he did enter the top sections).

I would urge organizers to check ID's of all prizewinners (who they don't know personally), and likewise all players claiming to be unrated.

(The organizers of the above events have been informed with more details)

Comment

Re: Cheating

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Another form of cheating:

A player (expert/master strength) has been playing under at least two different names over the last couple of months in eastern Canada as an unrated (but he did enter the top sections).

I would urge organizers to check ID's of all prizewinners (who they don't know personally), and likewise all players claiming to be unrated.

(The organizers of the above events have been informed with more details)
      Hugh,

Is there a reason why you did not reveal the names in question? The alleged behaviour by the individual is at the very least unethical (I avoid the "cheating" term to sidestep the swarm of angry wasps I may disrupt).

As tournament organizers, we don't really have a lot of tools to deal with bad behaviour. There's nothing like the prospect of being publicly shamed to make people think twice about doing shady things.

I would not want the names released publicly unless there was absolute certainty. But if such certainty does exist, I can see no reason to argue against public exposure.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X