Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sponsorship Reality

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Having a champion who it seems does nothing but complain online is most likely not all that attractive to sponsors.

Since you are not playing, we will have a more sponsor-friendly champion shortly.
    Is it bad faith or plain nastiness ? I did not play any Can. Closed for 20 years between 1982 and 2002 while staying away from CFC affairs. Between 1982 and August 2009 I was not the champion. Did Charbonneau, Noritsyn and the other "sponsor-friendly champions" draw more sponsorship ? To make things better you are even trying to spread the ridiculous idea that I might be sponsor-unfriendly, as if that made any sense. By the way, was Bobby Fischer "sponsor-friendly" in your book ? As if it had anything to do...

I wonder why you seem to be personnaly affected when I say that finding sponsors may not be easy but achievable for a competent and dedicated organizer. Does this intolerably put you in front of your shortcomings, failures and severe limitations ?

Regardless, trying to shift the responsibility of a chronic lack of sponsorship that spreads over decades to one individual player must be one of the stupidest and most disgraceful thing that anyone could have come up with.

Comment

A positive ambassador

Let us hope the new Canadian Champion will be a positive and constructive voice in the chess community. For is that not the reason he/she is given a CFC governor spot.

A critical voice if need be, but one that is tempered with respect for others, with an appreciation of the challenges faced by chess officials and organizers. :D

Comment

Re: A positive ambassador

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Let us hope the new Canadian Champion will be a positive and constructive voice in the chess community. For is that not the reason he/she is given a CFC governor spot.

A critical voice if need be, but one that is tempered with respect for others, with an appreciation of the challenges faced by chess officials and organizers. :D
        You're looking for a champion who will kiss butts. As if handing out worthless governors positions is of some value.
        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Sunday, 8th May, 2011, 02:31 PM.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          Regardless, trying to shift the responsibility of a chronic lack of sponsorship that spreads over decades to one individual player must be one of the stupidest and most disgraceful thing that anyone could have come up with.
          Who tried to do that? It wasn't me.

All I've basically been saying is that just a couple hours of your time spread out over the last almost two years that you've been the Champion could have made a significant difference. Instead all you've done is preached on Chesstalk about how other people should be finding sponsors to keep you happy and entice you to play.

If you want to think that you bear no responsibility, go ahead and keep thinking so.

I wonder why you seem to be personnaly affected when I say that finding sponsors may not be easy but achievable for a competent and dedicated organizer. Does this intolerably put you in front of your shortcomings, failures and severe limitations ?
          Actually, the last major event that I organized had fairly significant sponsorship, and great conditions for the grandmasters. Although perhaps that's still a failure in your mind?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Who tried to do that? It wasn't me.
            All I've basically been saying is that just a couple hours of your time spread out over the last almost two years that you've been the Champion could have made a significant difference.
            Are you throwing this off the top of your head and somehow believing it at the same time ? You have to explain yourself here because no one approached me in any way to do anything for the Closed. Or maybe you are saying that I should have organised it by myself ?

Instead all you've done is preached on Chesstalk about how other people should be finding sponsors to keep you happy and entice you to play.
            If you want to think that you bear no responsibility, go ahead and keep thinking so.
            The guy is doing it again ! Blaming a player for lack of sponsorship ! Is there a cure or a pill for that ? For your information, at this point sponsors or not makes little difference to me; most of my serious playing days (if I ever played "seriously") are behind me. But if we are to keep the younger generation playing and contributing, a serious organizing effort and some vision are needed.

Comment

Working...
            X