Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CDN Closed - Monroi

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
    even agreeing on a nice set or a special set is impossible.
    I think you are only one who do not like, maybe even hates, the plastic heavy set. Anyway, you are free to donate 15 or more wooden sets to the following Closed organizer. I hope they will say "thank you".

Comment

Excellent pictures ! Name tags on each board. Good. But we also see the 5$ plastic sets used everywhere especially in scholastic events, which for a Canadian championship could have been replaced by at least good looking plastic sets that imitate wooden pieces, for a few extra bucks per set.
      As far as I can tell from the pictures, and the comments from others, the sets, boards and clocks are the double-weight sets, vinyl boards, and Saitek III clocks purchased with Trillium grant money by Barry T.

I can't remember the last time I played with a wooden set, but I think I probably would prefer plastic. Within reason, I don't think it much matters to the players.

The tournament conditions look excellent, spacious, all games at individual tables, and drinks/snacks provided (if I recall the advertising correctly).

Now that Monroi is running smoothly, it looks like an excellent event. Congratulations to Hal, Michael, and the others.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        Congratulations to Hal
        I think that the idea to add the ProAm was excellent. As its participants were spectators too. Probably the easiest way to attract them :)

The winner of the ProAm Open became Alex Ferreira (white side)

(At least I saw three players wearing T-shirts with 2010 Canadian Open logo. Once they stood nearby each other and noticed their shirts and joked about that :) I was too slow to make a photo...
        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 11th May, 2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

wtg Alex - keep moving toward that elusive " master ".

Bob

Comment

MonRoi is now broadcasting Rd. 9. Looks like Sambuev/Kleinman is not one of them - neither use the MonRoi handset?

Bob

Comment

Re: CDN Closed - Monroi - Round 9 game not appearing in live broadcast

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              MonRoi is now broadcasting Rd. 9. Looks like Sambuev/Kleinman is not one of them - neither use the MonRoi handset?

Bob
              That game is NOT live --
              but it is available in the drop down menu for REPLAY game from Round 9

Perhaps their device has been switched off?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                I can't remember the last time I played with a wooden set...
                When was the last time you played in a Canadian Closed ? Well, true, you would have played with plastic sets as if the event was nothing special, which is exactly my point.
                If you had played in any of the ten Montreal International or in the Quebec Open Invitational of the last couple of years or even on the top boards of some Quebec weekenders, you would have played with wooden sets. At the higher echelons of chess it is quite unthinkable to play with plastic sets. It just doesn't feel appropriate. But I guess we are not dealing with higher echelons here. My mistake.

Comment

Re: CDN Closed - Monroi - Round 9 game not appearing in live broadcast

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
                  That game is NOT live --
                  but it is available in the drop down menu for REPLAY game from Round 9

Perhaps their device has been switched off?
                  At this moment it is back on live.

1.d4 Nf6
                  2.Nf3 g6
                  3.c4 Bg7
                  4.Nc3 d5
                  5.cxd5 Nxd5
                  6.Qc2 Nc6
                  7.e4 *
                  Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Wednesday, 11th May, 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

When was the last time you played in a Canadian Closed ? Well, true, you would have played with plastic sets as if the event was nothing special, which is exactly my point.
                    If you had played in any of the ten Montreal International or in the Quebec Open Invitational of the last couple of years or even on the top boards of some Quebec weekenders, you would have played with wooden sets. At the higher echelons of chess it is quite unthinkable to play with plastic sets. It just doesn't feel appropriate. But I guess we are not dealing with higher echelons here. My mistake.
                    You are one very sour old man.

Comment

• Re: CDN Closed - Monroi

Originally posted by Nicholas O'Bumsawin View Post
                      You are one very sour old man.
                      And what does name calling make you chief ?

Comment

• Re: CDN Closed - Monroi - Round 9 game GM Bator Sambuev wins last game to clinch!

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        At this moment it is back on live.

1.d4 Nf6
                        2.Nf3 g6
                        3.c4 Bg7
                        4.Nc3 d5
                        5.cxd5 Nxd5
                        6.Qc2 Nc6
                        7.e4 *
                        And the Co-Champion is..... GM Bator Sambuev who is tied with IM Eric Hansen - both with 7.5 after 9 rounds!

[Event "2011 Canadian Closed"]
                        [Site "Guelph"]
                        [Date "2011.05.10"]
                        [Round "9"]
                        [White "Sambuev, Bator"]
                        [Black "Kleinman, Michael"]
                        [Result "1-0"]
                        [WhiteELO "2750"]
                        [WhiteTitle "GM"]
                        [BlackELO "2301"]
                        [BlackTitle ""]
                        [Source "MonRoi"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.c4 Bg7 4.Nc3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Qc2 Nc6 7.e4 Nxc3 8.bxc3 O-O 9.h4 h5 10.Be3 Na5 11.Ng5 e5 12.Rd1 Qe7 13.d5 b6 14.Be2 Bd7 15.c4 Nb7 16.f3 Nc5 17.g4 hxg4 18.fxg4 f5 19.Qd2 f4 20.d6 Qxd6 21.Qxd6 cxd6 22.Bxc5 bxc5 23.Rxd6 Rad8 24.Rxg6 Rf6 25.Rxf6 Bxf6 26.Nf3 Bc6 27.g5 Be7 28.Nxe5 Bxe4 29.Rf1 Bd6 30.Ng4 Kg7 31.Nf6 Bb1 32.Kf2 Bf5 33.Rd1 Kg6 34.Bh5 1-0
                        Last edited by Mark S. Dutton; Wednesday, 11th May, 2011, 05:51 PM. Reason: Tie-break - co-champion

Comment

Another video here.

Comment

What a great tournament for Newfoundlander Morgon Mills who finishes with 5-4 and a TPR probably over 2400, almost 350 points over his CFC rating ! There is some chess outside of Ontario...

Comment

• Re: CDN Closed - Monroi - Round 9 game GM Bator Sambuev wins last game to clinch!

And the Champion is..... GM Bator Sambuev
                              Did Hansen forfeit the playoff or something? From what I see in MonRoi, he also won in the last round and it's tied.

Comment

And the Champion is..... GM Bator Sambuev

[Event "2011 Canadian Closed"]
                                [Site "Guelph"]
                                [Date "2011.05.10"]
                                [Round "9"]
                                [White "Sambuev, Bator"]
                                [Black "Kleinman, Michael"]
                                [Result "1-0"]
                                [WhiteELO "2750"]
                                [WhiteTitle "GM"]
                                [BlackELO "2301"]
                                [BlackTitle ""]
                                [Source "MonRoi"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.c4 Bg7 4.Nc3 d5 5.cxd5 Nxd5 6.Qc2 Nc6 7.e4 Nxc3 8.bxc3 O-O 9.h4 h5 10.Be3 Na5 11.Ng5 e5 12.Rd1 Qe7 13.d5 b6 14.Be2 Bd7 15.c4 Nb7 16.f3 Nc5 17.g4 hxg4 18.fxg4 f5 19.Qd2 f4 20.d6 Qxd6 21.Qxd6 cxd6 22.Bxc5 bxc5 23.Rxd6 Rad8 24.Rxg6 Rf6 25.Rxf6 Bxf6 26.Nf3 Bc6 27.g5 Be7 28.Nxe5 Bxe4 29.Rf1 Bd6 30.Ng4 Kg7 31.Nf6 Bb1 32.Kf2 Bf5 33.Rd1 Kg6 34.Bh5 1-0

Is there not a tie-break play-off?

Comment

Working...
                                X