Is MonRoi getting a bad rap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MonRoi getting a bad rap?

First I would like to state that I like Brana and Zeljka from MonRoi.

The only time I hired them was for the 2010 North American Youth Championship last summer in Montreal. Zeljka came to the site prior to the event to make sure transmission would be seamless. She did a great job! We hired them from start to finish at what I consider to be a very reasonable price. Could we have done it ourselves? Yes we could have used their system at no charge (CMA owns 4 units and a hub...we loaned our 4 units to the 2011 Canadian Closed - free of charge) but I preferred having them on-site.

Organizers in Canada such as Brian Raymer, Hal Bond, Brian Fiedler (and me!), think they make the life of an organizer soooooo much easier.

What went wrong in Guelph?

Let's get the facts first.

Larry

Re: Is MonRoi getting a bad rap?

I don't think a MonRoi rep is in Guelph. I think whoever is running the MonRoi system is basically learning as they go along after receiving a crash course. Yes, this is speculation, but I was talking to Zeljka last week and she said she couldn't be there for the beginning of the tournament.

For what it's worth, I think the guys are doing a great job, I'm viewing the games no problem. Yes, there have been glitches. Lets get behind them instead of just criticizing. They are doing the best they can. While that may not be acceptable to many people, it is a fact, let them work things out.

Comment

Please take under your consideration that the whole Canada chess players want to watch that event ... and not that only! There is a big responsibility (Mon Roi) for that to those people, don't you think so!?
      :(

Comment

Re : Is MonRoi getting a bad rap?

I always had a lot of difficulties to follow games with Monroi... The exact same problem showed up recently at the Philadelphia open...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Organizers in Canada such as Brian Raymer, Hal Bond, Brian Fiedler (and me!), think they make the life of an organizer soooooo much easier.

I am not so sure that one of these organizers agrees with you right now. Wait until you get the Bond facts straight, as you say... I note that Chris Mallon certainly does not agree with you, but of course you gave a list of "organizers".

In the meantime one fact is known : so far coverage has been inadequate and unreliable. When you get late broadcasts, senseless positions and illegal moves, you can kiss good bye to your audience.

I too like the Monroi people very much but eventually the pink glasses must be taken off. Even when everything goes perfectly which is not often, the Monroi system cannot be used for fast games (which is mostly what kids events are all about !) and during time pressures people go back to the paper sheets ! If the thing had any future, it would have strong chinese competition by now, especially at 349$ per unit.

Comment

And now ... pairing for round # 5 is marked as # 4!??

Comment

As a proof of it:
              2011 Canadian Closed Chess Championship Pairings PDF Print E-mail
              Round 4

Bd Res White Res Black
              1 IM Nikolay Noritsyn (2584 : w : 3.0) IM Raja Panjwani (2450 : b : 3.5)
              2 GM Bator Sambuev (2750 : w : 3.0) IM Leonid Gerzhoy (2629 : b : 3.0)
              3 Morgon Mills (2056 : WW : 3.0) IM Eric Hansen (2572 : b : 3.0)
              4 FM Hans Jung (2289 : WW : 3.0) Arthur Calugar (2401 : b : 3.0)
              5 IM Artiom Samsonkin (2561 : w : 2.5) Josh Guo (2272 : BB : 2.5)
              6 Victor Plotkin (2422 : w : 2.5) David Itkin (2160 : BB : 2.5)
              7 FM Michael Dougherty (2312 : w : 2.0) FM Shiyam Thavandiran (2463 : b : 2.0)
              8 Michael Kleinman (2301 : w : 2.0) FM Robert Hamilton (2370 : b : 2.0)
              9 FM Christian Stevens (2378 : w : 1.5) Réjean Tremblay (2238 : b : 2.0)
              10 Roman Sapozhnikov (2451 : w : 1.5) David Filipovich (2174 : w : 1.5)
              11 Zi Yi [Joey] Qin (2353 : w : 1.5) Miladin Djerkovic (2280 : BB : 1.5)
              12 Michael Humphreys (2273 : b : 1.5) FM Michael Barron (2328 : BB : 1.5)
              13 FM Dale Haessel (2233 : b : 1.0) John Upper (2169 : B : 1.5)
              14 Nikola Anastasovski (2190 : WW : 1.0) Matthew Nicholson (2020 : BB : 1.0)
              1 Vladimir Drkulec (2202 : WW : 0.5) BYE

Comment

I have decided to buy a Mon Roi device, just to spite Jean Hebert. :D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  I have decided to buy a Mon Roi device, just to spite Jean Hebert. :D:D:D
                  If you want a real bargain, contact me ! :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    If you want a real bargain, contact me ! :D :D
                    I can only imagine how much you regretted dropping $350 for a single purpose device... I understand the need to "lock" the device into game score mode so that it cannot be used for any other purpose during a game, but that kind of money starts to sound like an Ipad to me... a MUCH more useful device. Paper score sheets (carbonless ones at that) make a lot more sense. Of course, broadcasting games is another matter altogether - there are competing interests at work, as always. The DGT boards are solid, but expensive and not quite as portable as a handful of Monroi and the server...

In my opinion, Monroi must reduce the price point and work out the technical "glitches" (of course we don't have the whole story from the Closed, but if it is that easy to have problems, then there are fundamental issues to be dealt with).
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      I can only imagine how much you regretted dropping $350 for a single purpose device...
                      Come on Kerry. You have read my pieces of wisdom :) long enough to know that I would never do such a thing. Nevertheless I am in a position to offer Mr Gillanders an excellent deal. But I am afraid that Mr Bob is just talking as usual. He has no intention to buy a Monroi, which by the way would not spite me at all if he did. Quite the opposite. I would be happy for him. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Come on Kerry. You have read my pieces of wisdom :) long enough to know that I would never do such a thing. Nevertheless I am in a position to offer Mr Gillanders an excellent deal. But I am afraid that Mr Bob is just talking as usual. He has no intention to buy a Monroi, which by the way would not spite me at all if he did. Quite the opposite. I would be happy for him. :)
                        lol

ok, true enough - I should have guessed that you may have acquired a device in some other way... I can't see Bob using a Monroi, but if I do, I might take a picture with my phone - which has a convergence of different technology...
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                          First I would like to state that I like Brana and Zeljka from MonRoi.

The only time I hired them was for the 2010 North American Youth Championship last summer in Montreal. Zeljka came to the site prior to the event to make sure transmission would be seamless. She did a great job! We hired them from start to finish at what I consider to be a very reasonable price. Could we have done it ourselves? Yes we could have used their system at no charge (CMA owns 4 units and a hub...we loaned our 4 units to the 2011 Canadian Closed - free of charge) but I preferred having them on-site.

Larry
                          I have no facts about any problems occurring in 2011.

However, there are these facts:
                          • The Monroi site currently has a Google warning on it.
                          • The system has been out for around 5 years with absolutely no significant changes or upgrades to the technology.
                          • The system has not seen any drastic reduction in price, despite the use of older technology which should be significantly cheaper now. It doesn't do anything a Nintendo DSi can't do, in fact it does far less, and costs almost triple the price.

I will say that once we were able to get in touch with Monroi in 2009, they did manage to solve our problems. The point is that this should be a mature system by now, and relatively dummy proof. I'm very good with computers, and I was totally unable to get it working by myself. And I'd already helped others use the system in the past, so I had some knowledge going in!

I also know quite a few people who own them and no longer use them, despite how much they paid. Isn't that saying something?
                          Christopher Mallon
                          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi,

I've been present for a few of the rounds of the zonal, while playing in the Pro-Am event. There is no Monroi technician on-site. However, every time I walked into the TDs room, I saw someone fiddling with the devices, trying to fix some of the online relay problems.
                            It seems to me there are a few people with little appreciation for what the organizers are doing. As I understand it, they're learning about the Monroi challenges as the event progresses. As far as I know, there's no written contract with the zonal organizers to provide live coverage of the games.
                            There surely is an audience of interested Canadians following the event, but it's not like the organizers are selling a product. They understand there's a fan base and try to meet their wishes, while if anything losing money (and countless hours of additional work) on the whole Monroi adventure. Many people have been spoiled by live coverage of past events and now seem to take it for granted. I wanted to watch some zonal games, I went to Guelph and played some chess myself while watching some pro-level stuff. In other years, I've played through the games after the event was over. It's not like these games won't be widely available to the public very soon.
                            The organizers' team, from what I've witnessed, are doing a great job providing the players with a highly organized event, attending to the players' wishes and demands. Surely that must be a priority over pleasing chess-talkers.
                            Having said that... now that I just left Guelph, I'll hope to be able to follow the games online as they become available!

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                              However, every time I walked into the TDs room, I saw someone fiddling with the devices, trying to fix some of the online relay problems
                              The man-in-charge on Sunday:

If you see any problem with a game just write a calm comment, and the game will be double checked and corrected.

One translated game somehow missed castling, and it was noticed when White could mate in one :)

Comment

Working...
                              X